The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Heath Ledger

Home Forums Lounge Heath Ledger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

Awful shame about this young actor Heath Ledger, who has been found dead in his apartment, apparently with prescription pills near the bed. This is quite a shock, I’ve watched him in a few films of late, A Knights Tale, Casanova, Brokeback Mountain….has a young child with actress Michelle Williams, everything to live for…..I can’t believe this, what is going on with people today?

He always seemed so modest and likeable too. Oh I feel quite devastated, he would have been one of the last film stars I’d have associated with ‘pills’ or any sort.

Seven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 608

Drugs have been rife in Hollywood since the 30’s it’d be more difficult to find a film star who didn’t associate with drugs than one that did. Early reports say it was drug related but doesn’t say whether it was accidental or not.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

I loved A Knights Tale; and Brokeback Mountain…heck UM, I feel a bit numb now – better get another glass of sherry and ponder a bit…

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

Mo,
    We shall have to sob together, I really can’t get over this at the moment, my goodness what a shocker. It was bad enough to read that he had split from Michelle Williams last September, I thought they were so happy together, and wonder if he was devastated by the break up. I used to ask whether he was more committed than she was, I don’t know, it’s an impression I got. He always seemed so devoted.

Only saw a few of his films, I felt he was improving all the time. :(

marb, thank you for your kind thoughts, but yeah, it’s hit.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Didn’t know his marriage had broken up….I loved A Knights Tale, and Brokeback Mountain left me feeling numb for days; it was so sad at the end and that’s how I feel now….maybe playing roles like that take you to another place that’s not a good place to be, like Vivien Leigh when she did A Streetcar Named Desire …poor guy. Know bad things happen to people all the time, but films are like music they become part of whatever it is that makes us what we are therefore we have some sort of affinity with those people…does that make sense?

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

yes it does mo, absolutely, to me at any rate. I know people will always say, oh, it’s only a film star, what about the millions that die every day that you never hear of, but unfortunately like us, we are the unknowns and people just aren’t going to relate to that.

Now I’ve not seen that much of him, I was thinking of seeing Batman, but I’m not sure now and I wouldn’t want to see ‘Candy’, that was about a drug addict, but I loved him in Casanova, his accent was perfect and real suave, and as Ennis in Brokeback.
    I had to see it a few times to understand him, mumbled a lot, but I choked up once at the end there. Loved the music in that by the way, did you? and that’s where he met Michelle of course. I always thought Jake Gyllenhaal played the better part in that though whilst not wanting to detract from Heath at all.
    I’ve got A Knights Tale on dvd. I’ll have to watch it again later.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

You’re right, he was difficult to understand in Brokeback Mountain, but when he took that shirt out of the wardrobe…I’d forgotten a lot about the film, he was living apart from his kids in it wasn’t he; didn’t see Casanova. Saw A Knights Tale when I was going through a divorce and it so cheered me up…if someone had asked me which actor’s death would upset me I wouldn’t have thought of him at all, so I thinks it’s because of the film and the sadness of it…a bleak emptiness, but I was still glad that I saw it.

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

OMG hadn’t heard the news about Heath Ledger.
    Such a shame as he had real talent – had been part to some terrific films…
    If only the death of every young drug user could evoke such emotion as this does and yet I feel more for a man I have never met than the chap down the road who might take an overdose next week.
    Such is the world…

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

I know lekha, did you see any of his films at all? I think a lot of people still wouldn’t have been exposed to him though.

mo,
    yeah, the character he played was living apart from his children, he ended up in a trailer if you remember, the shirt scene. I’m extra disappointed now that he didn’t win the Oscar that year for his role as Ennis, as it was such an original being a fictional character he had to create so much himself, whereas Philip Seymour Hoffman, who won it for Capote, well I thought that was just copying really, exceptional though it was. Actually, that had a peculiar effect on me that Capote film, as I found myself sympathising with a multi murderer. Most uncomfortable.

My favourite at the time for that season, don’t know if you saw this, was Walk The Line with Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash and Reese Witherspoon as June Carter, I think she won the Oscar, and I really hoped Joaquin would too, I just thought he was sensational in that, a pulsating performance from start to finish.

I remember some good films that year, Syriana with George Clooney was quite good, he was up for Oscar’s I think too, and Lucky Number Slevin with Josh Hartnett, difficult to follow, but I think I got it in the end.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Walk the Line was brilliant. Problem with living in Derby is that for some reason we have to go to Nottingham to see decent films [they seem to think that we arn’t capable of seeing intelligent ones]. Was fascinated by Johnny Cash anyway, having seen the video for ‘Hurt’ and watching a programme about him….I love films; we go to the theatre quite a lot but usually feel quite disappointed by what we’ve seen, but the cinema is different…didn’t see the Capote film. In fact, will go and dig out Hurt and play it before I go to bed as a tribute to Heath Ledger…

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

I posted something about an Irish glamour model on another forum I’m on – I was slated to high hell as nobody had ever heard of her and her death wasn’t tragic etc. it was due to her mixing with drugs and you reap what you sow etc.

I just looked at the same forum to see 4 pages about how great an actor HL was and how the world is so much worse for his death.

FWIW I think both deaths were tragic – but the hypocracy of it all was obscene :evil:

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Worth pointing out that there’s been no suggestion that he was using illegal drugs, rather this was down to a tragically accidental overdose of prescription sleeping pills.

That’s what I’ve read so far anyway.

Apparently he was quoted in a recent interview in America to admitting to having problems sleeping whilst also working extremely hard on set, claiming that one prescription pill had no effect and he often had to resort to taking more than one just to get more than a couple of hours sleep a night.

Poor guy – I hadn’t heard that his family had split up, what a terrible thing to have to go through and now even more tragic for his ex partner and their children.

Terrible waste – he was a fine actor and seemed to be a very sensitive, hugely intelligent star. Terrible loss to the film business.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

What is shocking is that you naturally assume he took his life, the media is far to quick to jump to these conclusions (see Mark Speights girlfriend) it appears he had insomnia and took too many pills. In this media savvy world the tv and newspapaers can say what they like without waiting for the facts it time the laws were tightened the media gets away with far too much.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Prescription drugs = tragic if you overdose.

Heroin = wasted life if you overdose.

Hmmn………….

Firestorm
    • Total Posts 62

Very sad , and so young , PM report is apparentley In- Conclusive…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.