ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

This topic contains 971 replies, has 136 voices, and was last updated by  Caladan 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 972 total)
  • Author

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1859

Lots of argurments going on at the moment including Ed Chamberlain having a go at people who criticise itv racing’s coverage on social media and others getting their own views and digs in now.

https://www.racingpost.com/sport/bruce-millington/investec-derby-coverage-critics-need-to-see-the-bigger-picture/384161

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2019/06/02/great-derby-let-coverage-lacks-substance/

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5568

I think Bruce Millington is spot-on with his observations.

ITV is not a dedicated “sports channel” and has to attract a wider audience to attract more advertisers.

I really do think people are nitpicking.

It would be really sad if racing disappeared from terrestrial TV and was on a subscription only basis.

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 78

As racing has effectively stuck two fingers up to both long term partners BBC & CH4,It’s ITV or nothing so that’s why they seems to be getting a easy ride from the media.
    as jumping is more popular nowadays,ITVs remit was to drum up more interest in the flat and hence they seem to dumb it down more from May to October.
    I’m happy to watch the jumping on ITV but come May I avoid it like the plague and hope the idiot rot hasn’t set in when the jumping returns.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1859

What on earth are itv playing at putting the presenters in an in-vision box as the horses are loading who thought this was a good idea?

Why do we need to see the presenters we know what they look like, clearly the director has lost the plot they must have got him or her from BT Sport.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 544

But would it be THAT sad in this day and age if racing disappeared from terrestrial TV?

I am a punter, I don’t work in the industry, I am not a cheerleader for racing, I am a consumer of it as a product.

If I find the coverage so irritating it has to be on mute why can’t I say so?

I don’t care about the ratings and if ITV cease covering racing there is always Racing TV, ATR (again both muted!) or I can watch the race via any betting platform if I have had the smallest of bets on it.

This is the point Bruce Millington misses – terrestrial isn’t the Holy Grail for racing fans it once was so we won’t endure any old tripe to maintain it.

nefertiti
    Participant
    • Total Posts 228

For me it would be that sad – very sad indeed. Being a great racing fan but living on a pension, I do not subscribe to cable or sky and would be bereft if racing disappeared from terrestrial TV. I can live with the bad bits (or mute them) to get real excitement and pleasure from the really good bits. Are the dedicated racing channels so much better?

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 374

It would be a very sad day for racing if it ever lost its terrestrial coverage.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7687

Same here Nefertiti. I tend to have W Hill racing radio on and then watch the race on tv [with Mike shouting upstairs to me any good Jason Weaver tips etc], but I’ll often watch ITV Racing on catchup late at night if there’s nothing on tv to watch. I think ITV have done a good job thus far and they make racing fun, which is what it’s all about imo. Not everyone is as obsessed with the sport as we are.

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1002

It would be a disaster if racing lost its terrestrial coverage, not just for people like Nefertiti & me who don’t subscribe to racing channels but for the sport itself. With no means to attract new enthusiasts from a wider pool, it would quickly become a minority interest activity similar to the likes of polo. From some of their comments over the past few years regarding public perception & engagement, many trainers and jockeys would be quite happy with that sort of “private club” scenario, but they’ll soon change their tune once the sponsorship, on which the entire industry now depends, dries up.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25897

But would it be THAT sad in this day and age if racing disappeared from terrestrial TV?
    I am a punter, I don’t work in the industry, I am not a cheerleader for racing, I am a consumer of it as a product.
    If I find the coverage so irritating it has to be on mute why can’t I say so?
    I don’t care about the ratings and if ITV cease covering racing there is always Racing TV, ATR (again both muted!) or I can watch the race via any betting platform if I have had the smallest of bets on it.
    This is the point Bruce Millington misses – terrestrial isn’t the Holy Grail for racing fans it once was so we won’t endure any old tripe to maintain it.

Are you not missing the point though, Ian?
    The issue of whether Racing needs terrestrial coverage is surely not about us existing racing enthusiasts; it’s about attracting new people to our sport.
    How did you get interested in horse racing?
    If there were/is no terrestrial coverage then how would anyone know they liked racing enough to get/buy/watch the dedicated channels?
    Therefore, with no terrestrial coverage Racing runs the risk of an ever decreasing fan base. Most of us racing fans can switch over to our dedicated Racing Channels.
    If ITV can entice new viewers by using stuff that us existing racing/betting fans traditionally don’t usually enjoy – then why not? For some racegoers (not me) things like fashion is important and part of ITV coverage should therefore be fashion etc. Whether they are doing that (or any other) segment well – is another thing. If not careful they’ll risk losing viewers.
    Having betting/racing experts that aren’t really betting/racing experts is where they’re letting down – if not downright deceiving – viewers.

“True Self is a mudlark”. Ye, right. Idiots! :wacko:

value is everything

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7687

I have friends who aren’t as interested in racing as I am but they watch it on Saturday afternoons and really enjoy it. Fashion has always been part of racing and it’s important that people regard racing as a social event as well as a sporting one. DIL had her hen do at Market Rasen and they had a great time; DD’s sister in law always chats to me about racing when I see her. When I was working the girls in the office would chat about the fashion at Ascot etc

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 544

Gingertipster,

I am not “missing the point” – I am just being honest about my selfishness regarding not caring!

Racing is indeed a minority sport – this is why so many of its fans care and worry about its future in a way, say, football fans don’t worry about the future of football which is assured.

But I am evidently the exception here – I’ve loved my racing all my life but that doesn’t mean I lose sleep worrying where it’s next generation of followers will come from.

So when Bruce Millington starts telling me what I “need” to be thinking I am like: “Really? Err…no, I would rather watch The Derby on my mobile on a betting site than endure all this tripe they put on to try to lure the wider public in on Derby and Grand National Day.”

Tbh, twas ever thus – even back in the halcyon day’s of the minimalist ITV7 on World Of Sport, they would still wheel out the celebs on Derby Day.

Ditto the BBC with Royal Ascot fashion.

But that doesn’t mean I have to like it – the mute button on a TV remote was the best invention EVER and it got plenty of use Derby Day!

Finally, you asked how I got interested in racing.

Well it wasn’t by watching celebrities and fashion experts on the telly in the 1970s!

It was by watching actual horse races.

Yes, that was on terrestrial TV, but that was all there was back then.

There are myriad channels and platforms now.

But like I said, I am selfish – and honest about it! – and the price racing is paying for selling its product (drug use and alcohol-fuelled fights at racecourses, which have become weekend raves with a bit of racing beforehand, and idiot celebs on TV) is frankly not a price I happily pay to safeguard the game’s future.

I generally avoid racecourses like the plague nowadays – I go pointing instead – and its MUTE all the way when watching on TV.

That, sir, is ALL.

Rant over! :yahoo:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25897

It seems you don’t like me saying you’re missing the point, Ian – and yet you accuse Bruce Millington of doing exactly that. But I’ll persevere.

But I am evidently the exception here – I’ve loved my racing all my life but that doesn’t mean I lose sleep worrying where it’s next generation of followers will come from.

So when Bruce Millington starts telling me what I “need” to be thinking I am like: “Really? Err…no, I would rather watch The Derby on my mobile on a betting site than endure all this tripe they put on to try to lure the wider public in on Derby and Grand National Day.”

Then surely you and Bruce Millington are talking about two different things. Millington is concerned about what we (“Racing”) needs for its future. You on the other hand are NOT concerned (entirely your prerogative) which means you are NOT in the “we”… Therefore Bruce Millington is NOT making any comment about what YOU “need to be thinking”.

value is everything

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 544

Fair comment.

I think what I didn’t like about Millington’s comment was the assumption that literally everyone with an interest in racing is part of some niche collective which is desperate to see the sport promoted to as wide an audience as possible and his concomitant presumption that he can therefore lecture everyone about what they “need” to be thinking.

We are not all marketing executives for the BHA – we are a varied assortment of punters and general racing enthusiasts.

As such many of us care only about our personal enjoyment or otherwise of watching racing broadcasts and do not care in the slightest what ratings the broadcaster gets or what this supposedly means for the future of the sport.

Crepello1957
    Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 713

I watched a bit of one of the Sky Racing coverage yesterday, one of the regulars on ITV was so rubbish I switched it off. In the paddock he said “we won’t look at the horses they have four legs and a tail….” and proceeded to talk to people who were busy with the owners, jockeys and stable staff. At this I was so incensed I switched it off. This presenter is the main problem with the ITV coverage for me, the others I bad but this man needs to be taken from all the racing TV programmes; the horses are the cornerstone of the sport and his attitude stinks.

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.