ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV Coverage – initial thoughts

This topic contains 966 replies, has 135 voices, and was last updated by yeats yeats 2 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 967 total)
  • Author

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

the toothy and oddly dressed Francesca Cumani seems strangely vacuous.

If she does her research then by now she should know more about jumps racing than she appears to, so I reckon she is getting paid to play the ingénue and ask McCoy overly simple questions on behalf of the casual viewer they hope to attract.

On Grand National day they probably insist on somebody trotting out extra fluffy crap like “A Toi Phil will be popular in the betting with people called Phil” and the others (with the possible exception of Alice and Rishi) can’t dilute their expert status by saying it so she has to.

It’s a pity; I would like to see her allowed to use her knowledge of the Flat to discuss the breeding of the horses in relation to stamina, ground preferences, the scope to improve with age etc but somebody has to do the fluffy bits for the Saturday audience and she is the chosen one.

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1354

Sat 27 April

A new low for ITV seeing Matt Chapman springing from a rubbish bin, couldn’t they have left him there and carried the bin away?

Francesca Cumani yet again showing her obvious love of flat racing, why does she have to be there during the jumps season?

A strange focus on racing from Leicester, one of the most boring racecourses I know.

St Gatien
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5

Couldn’t agree more.
    I don’t see the point of F.C. during the National Hunt season.

I can only think Chapman is told to perform as he does, surely you wouldn’t act like that otherwise.

Kris
    Kris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 356

I think that you’ve hit the nail on the head Greenssgrass.

It should be fairly obvious that she’s there to ask the fairly simple questions for casual viewers. She’s not there for her knowledge of National Hunt Racing. Why it has to be her is another matter of course. I’m not a fan of her particularly, but she’s not any worse than Alice Plunkett, who serves very little purpose whatsoever.

Most sports have increasingly unnecessary people on the roster, and Racing is obviously no different.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 549

I’ve no criticism of their brief focus on Leicester for what was a very decent race. Not as if Haydock or Ripon had anything better to offer.

Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1116

Given that ITV have stated that they will continue working with Jeremy Kyle after the axing of his eponymous “show”, I wonder if he’ll be slowly introduced back onto television via the relatively low-key racing programme?

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 541

I seldom watch televised racing as I am usually out and about – sometimes at the races myself – but the last two times I have tuned in to ITV Racing I watched the entire broadcast with the mute button deployed. I really enjoyed the silent broadcast on both occasions and see this as the way forward.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8154

:good: sounds good Ian especially when Matt Chapman is presenting at the Social Stable. :wacko:
    Also if you start recording ITV Racing for the first thirty minutes and then start watching from the start you can fast forward all the adverts…only thing is you need your bets in place early. B-)

@gladiateur
    Regarding Jerrmy Kyle being on anything to do with horseracing whether it be ITV or any television network, just three words…
    NO NAY NEVER :negative:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 541

I just have it on as silent moving wallpaper in the background, tbh, and only actually watch as the horses are going into the stalks or lining up.

I watch horse racing for the….err….horseracing (and nothing else) a concept broadcasters have never quite been able to grasp in recent years.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8154

Completely understand, I guess that’s why we spend most time actually going to the races than watching on TV, but not everyone able to do that and for the true racing fans they must be left wondering when a horse will actually appear on screen. :wacko:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1354

Slightly off-topic but I notice that ITV aren’t repeating their coverage of the Brigadier Gerard evening meeting at Sandown. I guess evening racing isn’t an overwhelming success for the channel compared to the interminable You’ve Been Framed

runandskip84
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Brigadier Gerard evening at Sandown…another high profile meeting on RTV ruined by the arrival of Irish racing.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1111

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 541

Sometimes the mute button on its own just isn’t enough….

Quelle Farce
    Quelle Farce
    Participant
    • Total Posts 144

The insistence on making Chamberlin etc dress up in that stupid fancy dress on Derby Day (and Royal Ascot). I mean, they just look like posh twats don’t they?

The hats – just bullshit.

What’s the logic? Are people watching meant to be impressed? I wasn’t. They looked pathetic.

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.