The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

"It’s a great Bet365 Gold Cup"

Home Forums Horse Racing "It’s a great Bet365 Gold Cup"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

They’ve trotted out this line a couple of times on RUK today and I would like to contradict them for the following reasons:

1) It isn’t.
    2) Since Whitbread stopped their iconic sponsorship in 2001, the standard of runners in this race has declined by an average of 8lbs.*

Mike

*Please do not try to contradict this statement via the introduction of facts. It is always 1985 in my household.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Grating would be more apposite.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28449

I think the "Whitbread" was on the decline before the original sponsers gave it up Mike.

"It’s a three way photo in the Whitbread"!

Special Cargo, what a race!

Tomorrow’s race may not have the quality of the 1980’s (quality has gone elsewhere) but compared to recent renewals it looks very competitive. Does that qualify for a different type of "greatness"?

Value Is Everything
    Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5783

Handsome is as handsome does . . .

Le Beau Bai and Dover’s Hill

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Handsome is as handsome does . . .

Le Beau Bai and Dover’s Hill

Fair enough. It’d be worse if some ageing dodgepot was top-weighted I suppose…

Mike

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

It’s probably suffered this year as we’ve had the Grand National and Scottish National on last two weekends.

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1373

Like the Hennessey, the Leopardstown Chase and the Irish Grand National, it has suffered due to the proliferation of grade 1 weight for age races; younger folk might not know that these are a relatively recent development. Until the nineties the only two WFA GRADE 1 races were the King George and the Cheltenham Gold Cup(for 3 mile chasers.)

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Fair enough. It’d be worse if some ageing dodgepot was top-weighted I suppose…

Mike

OP is a pillock – looked like a going day from the start!!

11-12 too, top effort.

Mike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.