The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Is Alastair Down OK?

Home Forums Horse Racing Is Alastair Down OK?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

He is increasingly slurring his words and becoming occasionally incoherant.

I know he had a long battle with alcohol which I believe he has forsworn for some time now. I am presuming this is not the cause of what appears to be some illness.

I am not meaning any of this in a prurient sense and I would wish him well. However, from what I saw at Cheltenham, he shouldn’t be working at present.

Mike

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

The thing I find most disconcerting, and increasingly annoying, ahout Alastair Down is the way he constantly stares at Alice Plunkett when they are standing together and she is doing her piece to camera.
    It’s a really intense, unmoving, interminable stare which continues unbroken until it’s time for him to say his bit. Very unnerving to watch, let alone to be on the receiving end of.
    Why can’t he look straight at the camera, as other double acts do in every walk of television?
    Phillip Schofield doesn’t stare at Christine Bleakley on Dancing On Ice like he is watching a house for the first sign of burglars so why should Fat Al? Mind you, I wouldn’t want to look at chinless wonder Christine Bleakley close-up for too long, to be honest.
    Alastair is a fine wordsmith but he does seem to be less comfortable with it all now.

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I think Alastair is suffering from cancer, so believe any criticism is unjustified.

Probably also the reason why Clare Balding is reported to replace him on Channel 4 from next year.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

I think it was more an observation than a criticism Phil and if thats the case like you say then its a ****** ****** for Alastair,I’m a big fan myself!

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28449

The thing I find most disconcerting, and increasingly annoying, ahout Alastair Down is the way he constantly stares at Alice Plunkett.

I don’t blame him. Especially when Alice is wearing those boots. :shock:

Seriously though,
    Realise people have Alistair’s best interests at heart, but is this anything to do with us? Am uncomfortable with speculating or even talking about a person’s health. Same thing happened with John McCrirrick and Willie Carson recently.

Value Is Everything
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Realise people have Alistair’s best interests at heart, but is this anything to do with us? Am uncomfortable with speculating or even talking about a person’s health. Same thing happened with John McCrirrick and Willie Carson recently.

Well, I was in two minds about starting such a thread as I wasn’t terribly comfortable about it myself. However, Cheltenham

is

very much jump racing’s showpiece and as the main presenter he is the game’s public face over the course of the meeting.

I would respectfully suggest that such a topic is "public interest" but maybe only just.

Mike

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28449

Fair enough Mike.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.