The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Is 20 runners around Goodwood’s 7f course too many?

Home Forums Horse Racing Is 20 runners around Goodwood’s 7f course too many?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

I notice there are 20 runners declared for the 7 furlong handicap (3:50) at Goodwood on Saturday. With the turn very soon after the start, is this safe?

value is everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Normal service resumes I see ginner t. ridiculous question. Are you saying the Goodwood management are so stupid as they would allow races to be run that endanger the horses and jockeys. And are you also saying trainers and owners dont know any better either. Am all for a bit of chit chat but this is grasping. Let the people who are far better qualified than you GT to make these decisions, of what is safe and what is not. End of!

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Normal service resumes I see ginner t. ridiculous question. Are you saying the Goodwood management are so stupid as they would allow races to be run that endanger the horses and jockeys. And are you also saying trainers and owners dont know any better either. Am all for a bit of chit chat but this is grasping. Let the people who are far better qualified than you GT to make these decisions, of what is safe and what is not. End of!

Of course I am not saying Goodwood management would KNOWINGLY allow races to be run that endanger horses and jockeys. Or that trainers and owners would do the same.

So are you saying we should not discuss safety issues Wildething?

Aintree and Cheltenham would not do anything KNOWINGLY to endanger life either. But thankfully, that hasn’t stopped TRF discussing safety issues at those tracks. I see you gave your own opinion about the Grand National on another thread Wildething. That one eneded in "end of" too.

Not that Goodwood Management have any say in safety limits anyway.

Safety is a matter of opinion and I was surprised 20 runners are allowed. That’s all, no big deal. Being a member at Goodwood and regular there for 25 years, think I know a little myself about the course.

I think we all should be concerned with safety at ALL racecourses. I remember when racecourses were happy with concrete posts holding the running rails (not plastic).

I believe 20 runners over Goodwood’s 7f course is too many. I’ve believed for some time 40 is too many for Aintree’s 4 1/2 mile course. As I have that Cheltenham’s second last was too dangerous. The latter has now been changed. Racecourses can sometimes need a nudge to act on a safety issue.

So please, get off that high horse mate. It is not "ridiculous".

value is everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

I still think you are going way over the top with this one GT. Firstly "being a member of and being a regular at goodwood for 25 years" does not make you an expert about everything that is goodwood. Thats just SELF RIGHTEOUS nonesense. I shop at Tescos, and have done for the 15 years, but I dont claim know all about their marketing strategies and implementations for global awareness. Yes I do care about safety for ALL involved in racing, but for this issue, lets leave it to them that know. The only danger of 20 runners round the 7f at goodwood is bad jockeyship on soft ground. Not a lot else to say. You mention the point about aintree and the 2nd last at cheltenham, and you are quite right to do so. These are totally different issues (for obvious reasons) which do/did warrant much debate and discussion.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

So why is safety an issue to be talked about at Cheltenham and Aintree but not Goodwood?

value is everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

We could have a topic like this for every racecourse GT. Its about priority and as im sure you would agree the publics perception. Of course you can debate anything as is you human right. However, the National is the most well known and most viewed steeplechase in the world and the cheltenham festival the biggest event in racing watched by millions. Thats why it has more validity as a ‘public debate’ than the hundreads of other debates that we could have about other tracks/issues. Just my opinion.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

The number of runners at Goodwood is not in the same league as Aintree or Cheltenham. Just a minor issue and struck me as surprising. Though by the looks of it I am the only one who thought so. :lol:

value is everything
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.