The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5990

VACTIAN CITY 5/1

This derby is before Epsom and i think ran well at Curragh for a horse lacks experiance a step up in trip ideal way he finish at Curragh extra yardage be perfect for him.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2850

Personally didn’t think he’d be jumping 4 furlongs based on his pedigree. He did run on at the finish, but that to my eye, was down to the fact he was boxed in and found trouble. Not because he was crying out for further!

Has there been any word about him being aimed here?

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2226

Arthur’s Kingdom ew will do for me. Has run races close together before. Santiago is my Leger horse might come out still as AOB said 1 more run then St Leger assumed that to be nearer the time.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2200

Pretty underwhelming looking race tbh

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2850

Yeah it’s not what i expected. I’m not parting with cash yet, but the three that i like the look of are:

Fiscal Rules, ran a decent race in the Ire 2000G. Something about him wasn’t that convincing, he did run with his head to the side somewhat. Still at 10s (1 bookie) i guess i should really back him, as it’s probably the best piece of form + given he’s not Coolmore, he’ll likely run. Trainer says he’s definitely better than Trading Leather who won this for him.

Sherpa, Shaped nicely when well gambled behind Crosshurricane. Would’ve finished closer but for interference.

Lastly, New York Girl is an interesting late entry here. Not sure if she’ll go but if she does, i’ll back her.

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 35

And with 14 out of the 19 entries, another nice payday for the O’Brien family!

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2850

Decided against Fiscal Rules, something i didn’t like about the way he carried himself last time out when it got to the business end.

Sherpa + New York Girl for me.

Istabraq
    Participant
    • Total Posts 287

Any concerns about the wide draw for New York girl jack?

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2226

Will stick with what ive got but I would expect Santiago to win if not inconvenienced by the quick turnaround which the trainer described as ‘a worry’.

I have theory as to why he is running and taking his chance. I may be wrong but here goes. They are looking for a superstar middle distance horse from the stable and with Santiago potentially winning 2 classics (Irish Derby and St Leger) they will have one. This is because they may not have anything strong enough at Epsom.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2850

Any concerns about the wide draw for New York girl jack?

Not really Insta? There have been plenty of high draw winners over 1m4 at the Curragh. The Irish Derby doesn’t tend to have enough runners each year though?

Istabraq
    Participant
    • Total Posts 287

Yes this is the biggest irish derby field for a while, I like Tiger Moth @ 16/1 but if the rain comes and softens the ground I dont know if he’ll stay

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2850

Yeah it’s a massively open contest.

It’s funny, i listen to the Betfair podcast there + Kevin Blake worries about the wide draws.

Then you go on to courseguides etc. and the higher draw in 1m4 handicaps isn’t a negative. Then you go to ATR draw breakdowns and results and it’s no worse.

I understand that the horseshoe makes it a tricky ride from a wide draw to get a nice early position, but the results don’t necessarily back this up.

I had her down as a potential replacement for Iridessa for the yard, and a possible grade 1 filly when upped a bit in trip. I don’t think all of Aidan’s in here will turn out to be all that great.

So at 14s, why not!

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 258

I think that Santiago is a good thing here, and I think that you could make a case for him being very big at 11-4.

I also think that Iberia is one for the places at 22-1

Clints
    Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Yep, I am with Santiago here and thought he would be shorter in the betting. Hopefully Royal Ascot didn’t take too much out of him.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2226

I’ve added Santiago. Can’t be cheering my Leger horse to lose ;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.