The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

If you could go back in time….

Home Forums Horse Racing If you could go back in time….

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

If you could go back in time and see one race what would it be???

• Total Posts 1268

The Phoenicians?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Ben Hur vs Messala

Ravel
    Participant
    • Total Posts 98

Desert Orchid’s Gold Cup. Sustained excitement through the day wondering if the race would take place and whether he would run, let alone the race itself.

But even better would be to see a race – any race – in the future, provided I could come back to the present and put a bet on.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Foinavon’s Grand National – I mean what sort of price would he have been in running, even after the 23rd fence!

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Yeah, Dessie’s Gold Cup would have been special. You would have been in a right state at the end of the day with the weather as it was but who cares!

The build up to Arkle v Mill House (1964) must have been great as well.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

y’know not sure if one race is enough – I’m still thinking about the Easter Hero, Prince Regent Golden Miller era and wondering about the whole zeitgeist bit, everybody smoking Woodbines etc [am I allowed to reply …mo

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

"Eclipse first, the rest nowhere" ??

john2345
    • Total Posts 47

Dancing Brave winning the Arc….J

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Only one makes it a really difficult choice.

I am going to avoid some of the more obvious choices and opt for being at Aintree when Red Rum won his first National in that epic race with Crisp – there can not be that many races where the runner up is remembered just as much as the winner – how many other National runners up stick in the memory? (just one other in my case – Just So who I had backed at all prices from 50’s down to 28’s in the weeks before and who was runner up to Minnehoma in 1994).

I have watched the race video countless times and every time I still find myself willing Crisp to hang on. It would be even better being there and having the chance to bet in running – but that is being greedy.

marko
    Participant
    • Total Posts 84

Paul

I share your Just So pain.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Just So – I’d backed him ante post and my husband had got him in the works sweepstake – he went back to live with his owners along with Dubacilla, wonder if he’s still with us…..

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Also known as "Just Slow" – he only had one pace, the sort of horse ignored by many of the experts, he was a real mud lover, the more it rained as Aintree approached the happier I was.

The only consolation was I backed him each way so it was still a nice payday.

I hope he had a long and happy ‘retirement’

• Total Posts 22

Can I have more than one ?

Dessie’s Gold Cup – amazing scenes.
    Red Rum’s third Grand National.
    Esha Ness’ Grand National – the chaos !!!

erm…..one from the flat…!?

Grundy vs Bustino, I guess. Although Duffield’s ride on Giant’s Causeway would have been great viewing from the stands.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Another paid up member of the "Just So… If Only" brigade here! Ah well, 50s each way still counts as 50 times nowt, I suppose.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Me too and I was there with my dad (was also on at 50’s ante post).
    If I recall Simon Burrough put up overweight as well as the fact the horse was almost 2 stone out of the hcap.
    I’m sure I overheard Henry Cole at the races at Huntingdon last year saying that he was no longer with us.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.