The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

I want his job!

Home Forums Horse Racing I want his job!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

The Couch has fallen into a deeper mire of mediocrity lately giving scores of short-priced maiden "whispers" that get done at 1/2 and some ill-thought out headline tips: todays takes the buscuit however: At the risk of setting m’self up for a fall I’m a layer of his 2 point headliner Ordnance Row Goodwood 3:10 as a) He’s 0/2 at 10f and more importantly b) he’s 0/6 at unconventional tracks Epsom and Goodwood.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Did enjoy the ew acca he suggests on his 4 bets today. Think he’s right to want to take Gosden’s on it at that race. I like Illustrious Blue tbh. He certainly seems effective at the track and has a pretty good record fresh too.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Distressing scenes for Couch followers at Chepstow, particularly for those who followed the great man in at 1.15.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

You’re on my wavelength DJ- have had a bit of Hills 10-1, looks big to me.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

This guy must know where the bodies are buried. If you want his job I suggest you get hold of the negatives in his possesion.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

What horse was 1.15?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

What horse was 1.15?

Luc Jordan 2.50 Chepstow (in-running mind!)

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29166

Do feel sorry for The Couch.
    At the Sporting Life he was tipping value horses in the Tom Segal / Pricewise mould. Now, presumably he has to tip without knowing the betting market. A far more difficult, almost impossible task.

I would hazard a guess that Tom Segal’s profit / loss record on Sundays where there are no Early Priced races, is poorer than his normal value tipping days.

Talked to The Couch once, years ago paddockside at Goodwood, he said this horse with a string of 2nds to his name was a dog. I disagreed and thought it had just run up against some decent horses.

If memory serves think it was beaten that day by a horse called Wall Street, could be wrong. Anyway, this "dog"’s name was Singspiel and hardly got beat after that.

Still, everyone gets it wrong sometimes and at least he’s never scared of putting his opinion on the line.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Talked to The Couch once, years ago paddockside at Goodwood

Still, everyone gets it wrong sometimes and at least he’s never scared of putting his opinion on the line

Well said Ginge! i like the couch!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I think you are way off the mark here Ginger. Looks at some of the horses he has tipped at various times. Any tipster worth his salt would have some general idea what sort of price his horse will be. When the clown ends up tipping an odds on shot like Capucci at Ayr each way, you have to question what sort of price he thought he’d be getting about Gosden sending one up there.

He may have a few moles that tip him the word here and there and that keeps the wolves from the door, but I’ll say for a fact, there is no way that he makes his betting pay as a formbook punter, no way at all.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I notice that his tipping line advert has disappeared from Teletext – hardly a surprise though, given that he used to advertise 4/11 winners as 11/4 ‘coups’.

The guy is clueless, a waste of money and takes up column space which would be better used by people with something worthwhile to say.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29166

I think you are way off the mark here Ginger. Looks at some of the horses he has tipped at various times. Any tipster worth his salt would have some general idea what sort of price his horse will be. When the clown ends up tipping an odds on shot like Capucci at Ayr each way, you have to question what sort of price he thought he’d be getting about Gosden sending one up there.

He may have a few moles that tip him the word here and there and that keeps the wolves from the door, but I’ll say for a fact, there is no way that he makes his betting pay as a formbook punter, no way at all.

With that example David, I totally agree with you. He should have known better.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29166

To be quite honest I don’t often read what tipsters say (only on a tuesday of course :wink: ). Just making a point that he was used to a different type of tipping before. So may struggle now.

Just read his piece today and am surprised he seems to be tipping races on jockeys bookings more than form.

Think you got the wrong impression of my enistial post. Although I defended him in that it is not an easy switch to make, and does give his opinion. I don’t think MW is a good "tipster".

Mark

Value Is Everything
    thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

It isn’t easy to show a profit tipping at SP over a long period (although certainly possible)…

Personally, I like the Couch and would say he is an asset to the RP.

His main quality is his ability to entertain and write amusing copy – I’d rather read the Couch’s thoughts than Mel Cullinan telling me what has the best RPR in every race.

Despite a probable level stake loss, he also provides his readers with plenty of winners and writes in a way which probably makes them feel like they have shared in some kind of gamble. It isn’t the sort of stuff that is going to impress serious form students, but it will sell papers imo.

equus
    • Total Posts 80

At the Sporting Life he was tipping value horses in the Tom Segal / Pricewise mould. Now, presumably he has to tip without knowing the betting market. A far more difficult, almost impossible task

With the likes of those 25 runner nightmares at Punchestown tonight it makes one wonder who where and how the hell do they come up with any sort of pricing. Just where do they start? Even in any race ? with so many newcomers etc do they rely on whispers ,inside info, gallop watching, breeding…. the mind boggles as to how they get the paper fav. in the dailys and tissues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.