The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

I cant see it

Home Forums Horse Racing I cant see it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

We have had a terrible night with the heavy wind here in Sussex. (And no I did not have a curry last night.)

I cannot see how Plumpton can race today so if anyone is thinking of going best to check it out first.

If it was Cheltenham today I doubt if they would have raced either. There has been so warning of possible evacuations there already.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I’d presume prospects for Taunton must be very dodgy today as well.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I will be very surprised if we get any racing today – let us hope it all clears by tomorrow.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5688

Pity there’s nothing in Scotland, there’s barely a breath of wind in Hamilton this morning.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i’ve always found stormy weather plays havoc with the ‘form’ – or i can’t pick a winner in weather like this

anyone else find when it’s gale force winds and rain it’s best to keep your money in your pocket ?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

Taunton goes ahead after inspection – the strong winds here have died away since about 07:00.

AP

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Taunton goes ahead after inspection – the strong winds here have died away since about 07:00.

AP

That surprises me – all the forecasts are saying the current lull is only temporary and more strong winds are set to return in the next couple of hours.

Notwithstanding the weather at the courses, I believe the BHA should call off racing today anyway. I would have thought driving horseboxes in the current conditions is not the height of responsibility.

After all the authorities are saying only travel if your journey is necessary – much as I love my racing I would find it hard to make a case for travelling to the races to be an essential journey.

KendalCavalier
    • Total Posts 337

Choose anything with Strong Gale in its pedigree!

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3073

Notwithstanding the weather at the courses, I believe the BHA should call off racing today anyway.

Doesn’t sound a good idea to me, what would we bet on? I would consider taking horses to the races an essential journey and racing should go ahead if at all possible.

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I agree with Paul – the current lull is merely the "eye of the storm" according to the met office men, and the worst of it is due back in the Taunton area during racing this afternoon. I am amazed that they haven’t abandoned.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

They forecst I just got is the wind round cheltenham will be about 25 mph for the next 3 days………..I have no idea how strong that is anyone know if they can race in that or not ?

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

Agreed, a premature decision by Taunton and I certainly wouldn’t fancy driving a high-sided vehicle or towing a box up/down the M5 if the forecast sting-in-the-tail is correct.

Much as I enjoy this traditional pre-festival NH threesome, the planned form study last night was abandoned in favour of a evening by the fireside with an improving book.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

A possibly not entirely insignificant development this morning is that ferry services in and out of Fishguard, Pembrokeshire have been suspended.

One would presume that many of the Irish raiders, and certainly the majority of those engaged tomorrow, have already made their trips across to the mainland, but I’m not sure we’re yet in the position to rule out completely transport problem-initiated absences.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

A possibly not entirely insignificant development this morning is that ferry services in and out of Fishguard, Pembrokeshire have been suspended.

One would presume that many of the Irish raiders, and certainly the majority of those engaged tomorrow, have already made their trips across to the mainland, but I’m not sure we’re yet in the position to rule out completely transport problem-initiated absences.

gc

According to Cheltenham most of the Irish challengers have arrived early. Normally they have 30 or 40 Irish horses at the course on Sunday night, last night they had 100.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5407

They forecst I just got is the wind round cheltenham will be about 25 mph for the next 3 days………..I have no idea how strong that is anyone know if they can race in that or not ?

A steady 25 would be no problem, it’s the associated gusts that are a concern: the other week Catterick abandoned in a wind registering as circa 35 steady with gusts of 50-60.

It is of necessity an ever-modifying forecast but at the moment Tuesday looks relatively okay in a fresh circa 20 W breeze, Wednesday potentially very windy 40?? from the NW and Thursday significantly calmer. Too early for Friday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.