The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hyperion Stakes

Home Forums Horse Racing Hyperion Stakes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Am I hallucinating, or have Ascot turned the always-informative Hyperion Stakes (tomorrow) to a fillies-only conditional contest? If so, the only justification would be using it as a trial for the Fillies Mile, which of course now takes place … at Newmarket. Sigh.

So the race which fostered the talents of – amongst others – Celtic Swing, has been reduced in scope and status. I hope I’ve got this wrong. The fact that the race commemorates one of the most influential stallions of the 20th century seems to have passed the management and race planners by. Sighs redoubled.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Newmarket did away with the Soham House stakes at their last meeting on the Friday some years ago. It used to be a wonderful race for future winners, in the late 80’s Kahyasi beat Assatis (odds on) on debut. A couple of years later Belmez won it.

The fixture list is now dictated by the needs of the bookmakers, hence the AW meetings are simply BAGS meetings with monkeys on sticks.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Maybe it’s something to do with the timing of the race, it used to be run well into October.
    In any event the way racing has gone/is going in this country does it really matter anymore?
    The Hyperion was worth the same prize money 25 years ago as it is tomorrow.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

In light of recent conversations between William Haggas, Thirsk racecourse and the BHA I’d say that rather than bookmakers dictating the fixture list it’s the trainers and racecourses.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5111

I profess to becoming ever more confused with the autumn Ascot fixtures

Firstly, is tomorrow a new meeting?

Secondly, has the rather good two day October meeting been cancelled?

And if so, is this the reason the Hyperion (in name only it would seem) has been brought forward five weeks?

As Pinza reminds us Celtic Swing’s Hyperion/RP Trophy double is legendary, 2yo timefigure-wise anyway

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

I profess to becoming ever more confused with the autumn Ascot fixtures

Firstly, is tomorrow a new meeting?

Secondly, has the rather good two day October meeting been cancelled?

Certainly the meeting on 30 September – 1st October is still in place. But this September 3rd seems to be a new gig (to make up for October 15th Champions Day knocking out a few old handicaps from the QE2 card??)

Which doesn’t answer the question: why have they done this to the

Hyperion Stakes

?

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

2:40 Salisbury, 6 runners yesterday, Class 4 2yo 1m contained two who were entered in the 4:40 Haydock listed 2yo 1m tomorrow. Winner Farhaan and favourite Kinglet. The Hyperion is now another 1m two year old conditions race. Also a Grade 2 last year (though in October and for colts won by Dubawi Gold.

Emerites Art goes to Haydock but was also entered at Ascot.

If Ascot want to move the Hyperion to early September; then they surlely couldn’t have it better than Grade 2. Anything else would go head to head with another good two year old race at Haydock. That may be the reason to change it to a fillies only race.

Although why they changed it from 7f to 1m…..?

value is everything
    DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5111

Certainly the meeting on 30 September – 1st October is still in place.

If that’s still the Cornwallis meeting it’s been brought forward a week as it used to be run the following weekend opposite York and ‘the big kick-off’ at Chepstow

Presumably to allow two weeks for the track to recover for Champions’ Day on the 15th

Which still doesn’t answer why the Hyperion has been moved and changed :?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.