The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hunter Chases

Home Forums Horse Racing Hunter Chases

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I agree to a certain extent that some hunters’ chases favour the layers, MP.

Pro-trained short-priced favourites are arguably bad backing media, as punters with no steer on the pointers’ / true amateurs’ form often simply gravitate towards those few trainers and horses they have heard of, only to get disappointed when something not actually worthy of being odds-on gets tonked at such prohibitive odds.

However, in races such as the assorted series Finals (Red Mills Intermediate at Cheltenham, Touareg Mens’ Open at Towcester, etc.), where qualifiers have been running mostly, if not entirely, between the flags, I don’t think that same distortion of the market exists.

It’s all the same to me, really – back or lay, they represent my most lucrative betting medium by a long chalk, and well worth the investment of effort in going through the pointing form books / updates that many punters just don’t give themselves the time to do.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

Take the Stand runs in a hunter chase at Newbury tomorrow odds of 5/4 , Lay Lay Lay !!

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Danny, I’m not quite sure where you’ve seen odds of 5/4 on Take The Stand – he’s not going to be anywhere near that short! I’m assuming this quote was on the Sporting Life site – the Life are renowned for their hysterically inaccurate betting forecasts. I’m looking forward to seeing the fragile Balinova, one of my favourite hunters, return to racing under Rules and looking at the standard of opposition he should take the world of beating.

Back to the topic in question and I agree wholeheartedly with graysonscolumn here. To put it bluntly – he who calls these races "graveyards" simply can’t be bothered to research the Pointing form, which is not as readily available as Rules form.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

A fit-again Balinova wins it for me as well, HJ – great to see him back in action.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

It was indeed those wonderfully inaccurate Sporting Life odds that are always good for a chuckle.
    Take the Stand has looked a pale imitation of the horse he was and I always thought he needed quicker ground although looking at his form would suggest he can go on softish ground.
    It’s going to be very testing today as the rain continues to fall.

aji
    • Total Posts 469

Difficult betting races for me.

It is nice seeing the joy at winning in some of the riders. I saw a hunter chase at Stratford a bit ago, only a couple of thousand to the winner, the jockey passed the line as if he had won the Gold Cup!

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

Danny, I’m not quite sure where you’ve seen odds of 5/4 on Take The Stand – he’s not going to be anywhere near that short! I’m assuming this quote was on the Sporting Life site – the Life are renowned for their hysterically inaccurate betting forecasts. I’m looking forward to seeing the fragile Balinova, one of my favourite hunters, return to racing under Rules and looking at the standard of opposition he should take the world of beating.

It was Sporting Life i saw the odds :oops:

:lol:

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

And Take the Stand dots up at 4’s!!!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Of course he does. It was all set up for it after our crabbing of him, wasn’t it!

Arsington Sodmonster.

gc

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Regarding the running of horses from top yards in Hunter Chases.

It is mainly done in Feb so they can be qualified for the Foxhunters at Cheltenham and Aintree so now the quality such as the Newcastle race this week wont be as good.

Maybe in October,November we could have a Hunter Chase at Cheltenham so horses could qualify thus helping the smaller yards when it resumes back in February

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

MP – Plenty of unfathomable results in every sphere of racing as well as short-priced horses get turned over – check out Matron’s thread in the System’s section.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I’m not sure "told you so"s on the basis of Friday’s reversal is especially good form, MP, especially given the examples of the likes of Kilbreena, Bon Accord, Southwestern etc – solid point-to-point performers, all – that I’ve cited on these pages in the last 12 months.

That’d be the same Bon Accord, incidentally, whom I was confident enough to recommend for the Foxhunters after just the one run in an Ampton Open point this term, alongside eventual winner Amicelli, similarly offered as a solid e/w prospect despite running exclusively between the flags this term.

You’ll note that we were suitably guarded about Balinova last week – a "fully fit again" one would be hard to beat, and fully fit he was not.

Moreover, the money for Sesame Rambler arguably proved what myself and HJ were saying about mug punters wading in with horses or connections they might have heard of – Alner horse or not, I’m not sure anything he’d achieved in points this year should have entitled him to have gone off as short as 11-4.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Can any of you chaps enlighten me as to what the Oakley point to point is like nr Northampton? Quite well advertised near where I live and i’m going to go on the 13th unless someone tells me not to…

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit!!!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Aragorn,

I’ve not got to this course (officially situated in Brafield-on-the-Green) yet, but might do so this year – it depends whether I get all my write-up from Ystradowen the previous day finished in time, and also whether I get sent anywhere else that day (I’m still free as things stand). I’ll let you know nearer the time.

I don’t have my copy of Mackenzie and Harris readily to hand (I’m at my Proper Job just now) – I’ll dig it up later tonight if nobody picks up the baton with this request before then.

What I can tell you from memory is that I think it’s a galloping track with decent viewing accorded to punters thanks to some handily positioned banking. The hard road surfaces (the site has served time as an airfield in the past) make for good parking and a painless entry / exit.

As it’s a South Midlands region track you’re likely to get a reasonable or better commentator there as well – Chris Leigh, perhaps, or maybe even Stewart Machin if he’s available, though I think the commentary box isn’t brilliantly sited.

The negatives? I don’t believe the bookies are especially generous compared to some in the area, and the potential for the odd shambolic race can’t be ruled out entirely – last year’s Members was declared void after all three competitors refused repeatedly, the riders of two of them having already incurred fines for turning up in the paddock far too late.

All in all the course is not regarded as fondly as its predecessor Newton Bromswold (whose number board I think it has inherited), but then that was by all accounts a very, very good course indeed, and reputations do of course take a while to build. Brafield is still a pretty new course in the scheme of things.

Hope this helps, and if I’ve got all of the above right without recourse to the good book, I really need to get out more!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

If race times are anything to go by, the course at Brafield was shortened by several hundred yards last season, so God only knows what the distance of the races are going to be this time around.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.