The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

HRI List w/e 07.01.21

Home Forums Memorials HRI List w/e 07.01.21

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ekbalco
    Participant
    • Total Posts 73

Annie Kate, Eircode, Walk Alone.

RIP to all.

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1852

Augustine Leahy: Killing horses for fun.

Now, this has to stop immediately. It’s no longer fun, it’s just criminal behaviour.
    Unless this is a huge mistake going on for months….

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

Another Leahy trained horse ran in the same race- the only non JP owned NH starter this season who is still alive according to the RP- Walk Alone, starting at 100-1 and beaten over 40 lengths. This was her 3rd start this season. She is 4 years old and owned by Miss S Leahy. I do not think her life expectancy will be long.

That’s what I wrote last time. So there you go. They’re all dead, except the JP horses. Hopefully he’ll hand in his licence now. Unless his MO is to buy “culls” from the Flat for meat money, spend damn all on feed and vet care, run them in a couple of hurdles in the hope that they’ll magically turn into Israbraq, realise they haven’t and sell them for meat money.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 420

I’ve contacted HRI twice now about this trainer alone and the second time they didn’t even respond. I don’t think he’s doing anything illegal so they don’t give jack. Even if it was made public I don’t think it would make a difference because it would probably go down as one of the sad results of Covid. The whole thing is just shameful. Just disappointed that JP condones this, which he is by sending his own horses to him.

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

It’s disgraceful. The “Irish Equine Syndicate” bred Eircode and her younger half-sister, named Perilous. Let’s hope that isn’t prophetic. An older half-brother was killed last year, though possible that was the result of a fall. They have a runner called Haigney running today at Dundalk. Fingers crossed for him

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

Well I suppose the only “good” thing about it is if they went straight from Leahy’s yard to the abattoir (which is where I assume they ended up- euthanasia and disposal being fairly costly since, as commercial animals not pets I believe it is no longer acceptable to bury on farm) then at least that’s better than going through a few dealers’ yards then the abattoir. Or sold cheap to somebody clueless to live on the side of a mountain with no rug on.

Still though, could he not have found a decent home for one, even? Perhaps not and there are a dozen suitable “applicants per place” for a hack and a hundred unsound unrideable ones for each home that could take a retired horse.

That’s the surplus problem in action. Who is responsible, who should be held accountable for the ultimate fate of a horse? The breeder? The first owner after the breeder? The last owner? The trainer? At present it’s the last owner but that absolves the breeders of sharing in the problem they helped to create. Maybe if there was a good whacking levy on covering fees or registered foals, and on every change of ownership transaction, to be put towards retirement homes and retraining/rehab that would concentrate their minds a bit more and make the industry address the problem as a whole.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11473

Totally agree with everything said Ruby, green & BB and pray your prophecy doesn’t come true Tonge.

So upsetting to come back here and see Walk Alone’s name here..It’s a disgrace that HRI are turning a blind eye to the number of horses dying at the yards of Leahy, Comer and Mckiernan after putting in sub standard performances and amazing that a man like JP is happy to be associated and leave his precious horses in the charge of the likes of Leahy.

Poor Walk Alone didn’t deserve this.
    Only 4 years old with her fate totally in the hands of a family that just saw her as a means to make money and when she most needed help and someone to love and care for her they sent her to the abattoir.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but with every HRI list printed the evidence of dark dealing mounts. Why do they keep turning a blind eye to this?

RIP Walk Alone 💔 this must end.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1852

Great posts throughout and I have to admit I underestimated greens’ prediction about Walk Alone. So sad he was right and it feels very strange not being able to prevent similar killings in the future.

I just hope this isn’t becoming the proverbial tip of the iceberg….

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Leahy’s horses are given very little chance to show any form. Some only one or two races. Rarely any experiments with distances, ground, headgear etc. You have to wonder what the business model is and whether any of these horses would have made it as racehorses if they had been in the hands of a better trainer. Makes JP’s support even more bewildering (and disappointing).

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

Poor Problem Solver (1.05 Naas) wants no part in the whole pathetic charade.

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1852

Poor Problem Solver (1.05 Naas) wants no part in the whole pathetic charade.

Let’s see what the future holds him. By the way, he is family bred….

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

Pity he didn’t solve his problem by then buggering off into the Kildare countryside, never to be caught.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.