The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Howard (Ghost)Wright – RP plumbs the depths

Home Forums Horse Racing Howard (Ghost)Wright – RP plumbs the depths

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

I doubt if anyone else noticed it, as few seem to read the paper these days, but I thought this quote from Howard Wright pretty sums up the independence of the journalism there at present. It appears in the middle of an interview with William Hill CEO Topping.

Topping continues to be an interviewer’s dream, posing a question in reply to a question, and responding with his answer

Err, isn’t that another way of saying he wrote the article himself? It certainly reads like a piece penned solely by Topping. The usual guff about if racing doesn’t prostitute itself to his company, they’re gonna put on a load of numbers rackets instead. :roll:

How can a trade paper have a three page interview on this CEO and leave the reader unaware that his company is so deep in a hole that it was reduced to a rights issue earlier this year in a desperate attempt to try and contain their Mountains of debt?

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

i’m not so sure Glenn.

if i recall Wright’s book on Phil Bull, it was in much the same style, letting the subject speak directly to the reader rather than try to narrate him.

the effect here – intentional or not – i think is actually a hatchet job on Topping who (to me at least) comes over as "damned out of his own mouth".

From all the quotes, Topping’s view seems to be that punters (ie we) have our primary relationship with, and loyalty to, him as a bookmaker, not with racing; that our principal urge is to bet and that we look to him to provide us with opportunities to bet on what is easiest; and that it is up to racing to make itself as simple and instant for us to bet on as a scratch card.

" it comes down to the fundamental question of whether racing is a sport or a product to bet on. it can’t survive without the betting money, so it has to think more about the betting public – what they will bet on and when."

after three pages of this, there is no hint of anything other than a totally straight face when the piece concludes with the "simple boy from the hills in Scotland" saying on life now as the CEO:

"i’m loving the job. if only John Brown had had the foresight to see my potential years ago. its one of his failings…"

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

I very much doubt this is a hatchet job. Howard Wrong has been banging the same drum about the need for the sport dance to the bookmakers tune for many years. Amongst other things he has called for racing to be held in three shifts – morning, noon and night.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

that is the other possibility of course – and i suppose there is a striking resemblance between their respective photos so……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.