The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How Old Is Eddie Fremantle?

Home Forums General Sports How Old Is Eddie Fremantle?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

I am only posing the question because he just gave a mention to one of my old favourites, Frank Worthington. Didn’t think Eddie would be old enough to remember his career, unless of course he was referring to his time at Weymouth!

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I remember Frank Worthington and I’m 38 (no, really); Eddie would be a few years older than me, despite his schoolboy appearance.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3136

I was more amazed Nick Luck had never heard of Frank :shock:
    Think Eddie the Shoe is about 48.

Trickmeister
    Participant
    • Total Posts 96

Shows young Luck to be very much a Racing journalist rather than a sports fan. Nothing wrong with that of course, butit is another example of living in the racing ‘bubble’.

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

I’m 44 and I saw Frank Worthington play when I was in my early teens. Slow as a boat by that stage, but his touch was still exceptional. He would spend most of the match anchored to a spot halfway inside the opposing half, waiting for goal kicks and clearances to flick on to runners, and for a great big lump, he did it with incredible panache.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Was going to say – I would have been a big seller at 48…

Mind you, I would have been a decent seller of Rory at 38 too…. :oops:

Just shows that punting on horses is the greatest game on earth – even keeps you looking young….

chutney dave
    • Total Posts 8

Eddie is by far the most watchable pundit on RUK. He might remind me of an intellectual Curly Watts, but only Graham Cunningham comes close when it comes to race analysis.

I’d have said he was about 45 myself.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

I’m 44 and I saw Frank Worthington play when I was in my early teens. Slow as a boat by that stage, but his touch was still exceptional. He would spend most of the match anchored to a spot halfway inside the opposing half, waiting for goal kicks and clearances to flick on to runners, and for a great big lump, he did it with incredible panache.

I don’t remember Frank at Huddersfield but I have a suspicion he wasn’t really quck at any stage of his career.

As for Eddie I have had a problem with his abstract tendencies on occasion but his standing definitely went up for me with the mention of Frank.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

When I was a kid, I worked in a bookies in Warwick. Worthy used to p*ss away a nice wedge every now and then. Not a patch on Willie Thorne, mind!

Mike

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

On a slightly related subject, Eddie the Shoe referred to time figures for the two Nicholls horses in the nursery on Saturday which made them look very well in. They duly finished 1 2. Does anyone know whose figures he was quoting- Timeform, his own, some other service? You could get a clue from the Topspeed figures but I’m sure that’s not what he was talking about.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Perhaps John Whitley’s ratings, carvillshill? Only speculating but there are some on the forum who swear by them. Not cheap, but not so widely used as Timeform etc and therefore they have their uses. His website is http://www.racingresearch.co.uk.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I know all about Whitley Smithy but those are not time figures as far as I know.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Whitley has both timefigures (3rd column in from the right) and form figures on his sheets.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

How big a mug am I: I didn’t know that! Cheers CR. Did you or anyone get Whitley for Saturday at Goodwood by any chance?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Nope.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Bluie was well clear on form and time. Layla’s Hero came out about fourth best.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.