The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

how does all weather form transfer from track to track

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks how does all weather form transfer from track to track

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ultraman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 190

With new all weather tracks opening soon at great leighs and doncaster,and Kempton opening last year i thought it was about time i took more intrest in it.Do firm or soft form horses from grass run better on it, will form transfer from one all weather track to another, or are the sufaces completely diffrent, any feedback would be appreciated. Reading a book i have just bought called gold from the sand to get me started

slipperytoadslipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

Here are my maxims for all weather racing

1. ignore turf form. <br>2. form on polytrack does not transfer to fibresand<br>3. form between all-weather courses does not translate (however I am still monitoring form between kempton and wolverhampton)<br>4. understand the pace within the race<br>5. understand the draw bias at each track<br>6. know which trainers (and jockies to a lesser extent) do well on the all weather surface..

These maxims are expanded in the book you purchased "Gold from the Sand" – David Bellingham

and the following link..

http://www.inside-edge-mag.co.uk/racing … tting.html

welcome to the dark side ultraman ;)

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

What’s this about a new all weather track opening soon at Doncaster – is this true? I don’t think it is.

I’m no expert but most of Slippery’s comments make sense except that I’d say that the form between the 3 polytrack courses does translate to the same extent that turf course form does. It’s important to treat the southwell form separately to the other aw courses. Horses who prefer softer ground can sometimes do better at southwell because of the slower deeper surface.

I only follow the AW in the winter and I’ve luckily managed to make a respectable profit from it most of the time ( Dec – Feb seems best imo ) over the last 10 years but the real experts can probably do well all year round.

(Edited by SwallowCottage at 1:06 pm on Jan. 8, 2007)

podpod
    • Total Posts 41

"What’s this about a new all weather track opening soon at Doncaster – is this true? I don’t think it is."

To the best of my knowledge, Doncaster like Newbury and Newmarket before, have quietly shelved plans for an all-weather strip. The cost benefit ratios of how much such additions would have cost verses the number and quality of potential races and meetings being added to the calendar was quite frankly, something of a non-runner and not worth the financial effort.

In my opinion and due in main to its Scottish location, the only remaining racecourse with a viable game plan for switching over to AW is that of Musselburgh. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on which side of the AW argument one stands, development plans have become stalled due to objections raised by an adjoining golf course and the resulting need for a public enquiry into the matter.

As for Great Leighs, only the banks know when sufficient funds will be made forthcoming for that project to be completed to everybody’s satisfaction.

(Edited by pod at 3:30 pm on Jan. 9, 2007)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.