The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How come The Racing Post is a legitimate expense?

Home Forums Horse Racing How come The Racing Post is a legitimate expense?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

It had to happen what with all the other ‘expenses’ our M.P.s have been claiming but according to the B.B.C. website Richard Spring has been claiming for his purchases of The Racing Post.

The excuse given as to why he claimed this cost was to read about ‘issues of employment and planning’

I read the Racing Post every day but it seems to me that the Racing Post have been letting him down as there are few stories about this in the Post.

To his credit though he only ever claims for the Racing Post when the commons is sitting.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

It’s not with my firm – we’ve tried to claim for it but no joy! Mind you considering we work within racing and need the RP we should be allowed to claim for it.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

SL

is the arrangement on a par with this?:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM31652.htm

i’m sure your firm’s accountants are on top of things, but i would have thought that if an advertiser were to receive a number of free papers as part of the deal for placing adverts, that might be a way to get the expense allowed.

i presume the shops edition is deductible for the firm?

best regards

wit

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

There’s one law for them and one for the rest of us..

I just did my tax return and was advised it was up to me to decide which form I had to fill in, the failure to fill in the correct form would result in a fixed penalty notice.

.. crooked to the core comes to mind.

They should throw Richard in jail .. along with the rest of them.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

under section 328(1) of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (included by Regulation 2 of The Money Laundering Regulations 2007 as part of the definition of moneylaundering) :

"A person commits an offence if he enters into or becomes concerned in an arrangement which he knows or suspects facilitates (by whatever means) the acquisition, retention, use or control of criminal property by or on behalf of another person. "

as a law-abiding citizen obviously one would not want inadvertently to fall foul of this provision and stand accused of funding what may well be criminal lifestyles of any ultimate recipient of one’s taxes.

perhaps one’s inspector of taxes would be so good as to provide assurance and indeed an indemnity to allay any concerns a law-abiding citizen may have on the point ?

the threshold is simply that one suspects something may be going on – and with all the publicity about it, who can credibly fail to have such suspicion ?

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Wit, I don’t work for a bookmaker so we don’t get the shop edition. However it could easily be argued that the RP is a legitimate business expense for us but they won’t even let us claim for it when staying away on business, which happens frequently!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.