The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Horseracing Attendances 2010-2011

Home Forums Horse Racing Horseracing Attendances 2010-2011

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GodolphinArabianGodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

Jumps
    1,914,518[/color:1wp2ftzz] 2010
    2,233,733[/color:1wp2ftzz] 2011

Flat
    3,554,658[/color:1wp2ftzz] 2010
    3,598,309[/color:1wp2ftzz] 2011

All Weather
    271,484 [/color:1wp2ftzz]2010
    294,219 [/color:1wp2ftzz]2011

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Statement from Paul Bittar on attendance figs.

24/01/2012 14:23

Paul Bittar, CEO of the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), said:

"The widespread popularity of British racing, particularly the festivals, is reflected in these figures and I would like to congratulate the racecourses on the tremendous achievement of attracting a record figure of 6.15m racegoers in 2011. It is testament to the enduring appeal of a day at the races and also to the value of more focussed and creative marketing in these challenging economic times.

"With last year’s figures completing a third consecutive rise and topping the previous high from 2004, there appears to be a direct correlation between positive racecourse attendance figures and a central PR presence to assist in promoting the sport, which is rewarding for all those involved in the sport and supporting Racing for Change.

"As a measure of the sport’s popularity it is excellent news. However it does also highlight the discrepancy with the sport’s overall financial health and it underlines how the current levy system is failing British racing when attendances break new records yet the Levy income continues to decline. The BHA is intent on working with other key industry parties to rectify this situation going forward."

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

"However it does also highlight the discrepancy with the sport’s overall financial health and it underlines how the current levy system is failing British racing when attendances break new records yet the Levy income continues to decline".

A desperately weak argument from Mr Bittar (attendances and Levy are entirely unrelated imo) which is a poor harbinger. It looks like he is simply going to try and get a mention of the Levy into as many statements as possible.

I’m all for positivity but I suspect that if the ‘concert’ figures are disregarded, attendances would be down.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

How many meetings were there for each of these categories in each year? Does it include non-paying customers?
    The figures on their own do not make encouraging reading, but when some flesh is added to them I am sure the picture will look even more bleak.

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4607

The "headline" figures do not tell the whole story.

This RP report adds a bit more flesh to the bones.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/cartmel-newbury-ladbrokes-kempton-record-numbers-flock-to-british-courses/979717/top/

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Meeting by meeting breakdown available here:

http://www.hblb.org.uk/document.php?id=418

What becomes abundantly clear looking at these figures is that attendances started to go down (compared to 2010) during the summer months and this trend accelerated up to October 9th, with racing practically at crisis point on this date:

Goodwood attendance down 45% on previous year
    Ffos Las attendance down 30% on previous year

The fightback started the very next week. What had changed? The BHA had introduced some new whip rules which some would have you believe spelled disaster for the sport. Looking at these figures they seem to have saved it. I’m not sure it would have lasted another fortnight going down the road it was.

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

Indeed, the figures tell you all you need to know. We are in the midst of some tough economic times and it has impacted most on people who live off their savings – those who might have been the midweek racegoers.

The weekend and bank holiday crowds are boosted by those on tracker mortgages – the families whose mortgage payments have fallen and can still afford the odd treat.

Looking at Leafy as an example, in 2011, the jumps meeting was held on Monday January 3rd, which was a Bank Holiday, and got 1,530 paying customers. This year, the same meeting was on Thursday January 5th and got 634. Even the AW meetings are suffering – Saturday January 15th 2011 got 1,053 – the meeting on Saturday January 14th this year got 789.

The crowds are swelled by Annual Members, some of whom seem to attend every meeting but I wonder how much they spend on food and drink.

To counter that, the equivalent meetings at Plumpton and Newbury did slightly better this year than 2011 while Victor Chandler Day was slightly lower. I suspect it will be a tough year for courses with the European Championships and the Olympics as big counter-attractions in the summer.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

I think my local course at Lingfield could show more imagination than charge £16 (£14 if booked on internet in advance) to watch desperate midweek fare on the AW during winter:-

http://www.lingfield-racecourse.co.uk/9 … sions.html

Attendances are basically one man and his dog plus half a dozen bookies.

A discount might up the attendance and get spending on food and drink (the supply of which Arena now do in house)

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

im suprised anyone would pay to watch that saturday rubbish at lingfield.
    theres a cracking days racing at cheltenham this saturday but they will proberly get only half the 31,000 that was there new years day

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

im suprised anyone would pay to watch that saturday rubbish at lingfield.
    theres a cracking days racing at cheltenham this saturday but they will proberly get only half the 31,000 that was there new years day

Some Saturday races on the AW at Lingers are OK! Winter Derby is Group 3.

However try midweek midwinter AW- why would anyone pay £16 to watch that?

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1215

The fightback started the very next week. What had changed? The BHA had introduced some new whip rules which some would have you believe spelled disaster for the sport. Looking at these figures they seem to have saved it. I’m not sure it would have lasted another fortnight going down the road it was.

:lol:

Although the rancid BHA have twisted stats for their cause don’t think even they would claim that one.

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

Subtract the January and December weather boosted figures, take into account the free racing month and attendances rose by 0.66%.

Cynical outlook aside, I’m pleased to read this is the third year in a row attendances are up. In other words, Rod Street, back in your box, sir.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.