The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Horse racing syndicates thoughts?

Home Forums Horse Racing Horse racing syndicates thoughts?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

I haven’t got as much money as a number on here, but wondered what thoughts are about these shared syndicates?

My only experience was a syndicate present for my late father during the noughties. After an initial fee, we paid £40 a month with one of a 100 shares in the horse.
    The horse itself wasn’t great, trained by Frenchie Nicholson. Beaten 50 lengths each time in two national hunt flat races, then when better things were expected over timber beaten the same distances here also.
    Other people in the syndicate started pulling out so we understood before the year long contracts were up, and reckon it got messy with the syndicate owner taking legal action the last I heard of it.

For me, this venture would just be for fun and you expect to say goodbye to your money each month, and a bonus if anything ever comes of it.
    My Dad went to two meetings to watch the horse. The syndicate owner I believe was allowed so many people into the racecourse each time the horse ran. Whether they had an owner experience with a nice meal included etc.

Are most horses that run in syndicates considered to have no chance because either they have had set backs and operations in the past, or just plain not good enough.

It would be interesting to hear any experiences, knowledge, perhaps there are those that are syndicate owners on here.
    Thanks.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Lot of rip offs out there to trap the unwary.

Lease horses you never get to even own that are a vehicle to get the training fees paid and give the trainer an extra shot at some prize money percentages, outrageous schemes where the vendor gets far more than a horse cost by issuing shares in it, the game is full of people ready to part the naive from their extra disposable income.

Many people enjoy syndicates and the extra social dimension it brings, but I need new friends like I need a hole in the head and am tighter with money than Scrooge, so it wouldn’t ever be for me.

In fact, if everyone was as awful as me, there would be zero owners and racing wouldn’t even exist!

Good luck!

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“… trained by Frenchie Nicholson.”

From beyond the grave? 😳

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Where did I get Frenchie from? That was his Dad! Should have been David Nicholson!

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 194

Many years ago I enquired about the syndicates that Peter Harris ran and that’s the conclusion that I came to. i.e. the benefits were largely in favour of the syndicator rather than the syndicatee.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

I bet there is a fair amount of work to do behind the scenes and I accept that’s probably the case Salut A Toi for the admin and generally arranging everything so it all works.
    For the syndicator it’s a business, but there must be a fair amount of risk involved if they don’t sell most of the shares on offer.

Newmarket
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5

Racing Clubs are a value alternative.

Elite Racing – https://www.eliteracingclub.co.uk/index.aspx

David Pipe Racing Club – https://www.davidpipe.com/horses-for-sale/david-pipe-racing-club

Or for Greyhounds….

Champagne Club – http://www.thechampagneclub.com/

All these are well run and great fun for a ‘modest’ investment.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Thanks very much Newmarket. Food for thought!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

Depends what part of the country you want. A friend of mine has had a couple of horses in small syndicates (20 I think) for a very reasonable amount with Phil Kirby in North Yorkshire. One of them won 3 or 4 times in a season- can’t for the life of me think of the name of it now, but they were living the dream.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Thanks Tank. I live in the South East which isn’t a great base to get around the country.
    That’s a good sized syndicate. I suppose however that must be at least £100 a month from each for training fees alone?
    But what a crack if the horse in particular has any success.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

GSP, from memory of what he said a few years ago – it was about £ 1,300 paid in two payments. He only had one horse at a time. My post above didn’t make that clear.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553
    GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

This looks really good, thanks Tank. Be good if there was an equivalent down here?

Steely Dan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

I have a couple of shares in two horses through the Owner’s Group. They have quite a few horses placed with several trainers covering both codes. You can buy a share for a modest sum.

Your share purchase lasts for one year, there is a monthly magazine, stable visits and the chance to get an owners badge at the races. It suits my needs, and if you have not considered this option, they are easy to find via Google.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

The main thing are you enjoying it SD and renewing next year? I suppose once you start with these, it’s hard to pull out as you become ‘part of a family’.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Deaf Jon is a member of Elite
    Posts me all of his newsletters
    I’m buying him a recycle bin for Christmas

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

Pardon?
    Agfa-Photo

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.