The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hobbs on his big race favourites

Home Forums Archive Topics Hobbs on his big race favourites

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

<br>FAIR ALONG: The ground is now heavy, soft in places, which has gone against him a little. Ideally he would want it good, or good to soft, although it was soft when he beat My Way De Solzen at Sandown. Things aren’t perfect but he is in very good nick and things have gone very well. We couldn’t be more pleased with him. The advantage we have is that he is running in the first chase on the opening day and the ground on the inside has not been used all season. He will go up the inner, probably in front, although he doesn’t have to lead, on fresh ground and that will be a big plus. He will obviously run in the Arkle and we just hope it dries out a bit. He is a very tough horse, he hasn’t had a race for a while, and there are four weeks between Cheltenham and Aintree this year so he is also likely to run in the County Hurdle at the Festival too. I can’t see any disadvantage in doing so if all goes well. He only has 10-7 to carry and you could argue that if we had stayed over hurdles he could be second favourite for the Champion Hurdle the way the form of last year’s Triumph has worked out. He should have a very good chance in the County.

DETROIT CITY: Both he and Fair Along both had their last serious piece of work on Tuesday morning and both went really well. I was delighted. Detroit City is 10 kilos lighter than when he ran at Sandown last time and hopefully he is fitter and better for that run. He would have needed that outing and had a racecourse gallop last week to get him spot on. I am not really concerned about the ground for him, we just don’t know if he will handle it. I would have preferred good to soft or soft ground as we know he goes on that but at the same time he is in very good nick and I couldn’t be happier with him. As far as the race is concerned, if Hardy Eustace makes the running it will suit us, but we can go on if necessary. We will be very handy whatever happens but obviously it all depends on how the race pans out. I think he has every right to be favourite and has a favourite’s chance. He is a very progressive horse, everything has gone right, and he hasn’t been beaten for 13 months now. His Cheltenham defeat of Hardy Eustace is difficult to assess as there was no pace and quite how the form of that race stacks up, we will see next week. You have to respect the Irish contingent again, and Straw Bear now the ground is going to be soft. <br>

I’m not normally one to do over confidence infact I rarely like telling anyone a selection but the last time I was as confident about a horse at the Cheltenham festival as I am about Fair Along in the Arkle was Royal Gait back in 1992. I went round telling everybody he’d win I didn’t have the slightest doubt and I have the same confidence in Fair Along.

If this horse gets beat expect a "Gutted" topic and then the disappearance of Flash for about a month. Admin then please delete all my mentions of Fair Along so eventually people will forget what a complete mug I made out of myself lol.

Interesting to see that Detroit City is ten kilos lighter than he was last time out seems they left a fair bit to work on. Got to have a great chance also.

<br>

(Edited by Flash at 6:14 pm on Mar. 7, 2007)

jazza23
    • Total Posts 25

I tend to agree with you flash, as I stated on another thread last night Fair Along has done everything asked of him and should be there or thereabouts.

As for Detroit City, I think that if he gets around without any clangers like Sandown then he will be very difficult to beat, everytime I have seen him run I always got the impression that there was more left in him so come the hill on Tuesday if he’s in the mix then I think he’ll win.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.