The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

highlight of the festival? Cheltenham 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics highlight of the festival? Cheltenham 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

although I didn’t have a bean on him, for obvious reasons, the undoubted highlight would have been the magnificent sprinter sacre in the champion chase.

it was epic to watch his incredible power as he loomed up to the old champ sizing europe- who has trying his heart out but sprinter just laughed at him-the sectionals they would have been doing from halfway must have just been frightening.

up there was bob’s worth and the amazing our conor in the triumph.

highlight for you?

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

SS was great – just hoped there were a few more in the race. Just awesome. The 2 novice hurdles – neptune and supreme – both fantastic races and some really nice horses – TNW looks like a proper machine. The jink horse in the foxhunters was strange although with the rail and maybe he couldnt see the tape with the mud :?:

Our Conor, Quevega, Bobs Worth and that 50-1 nap I had were all highlights. I was cheering the mare home even though I was on the French horse. Quevega posing for a photo also :D

The best of all – some young horses that love cheltenham – plenty to think about for next year

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Although i had Grandouet (another faller) thought the Fly winning was excellent. However my highlight was the machine that is The New One, next years Champion Hurdle Winner :D

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

The New One is certainly some tool. The Neptune is probably a better trial for the Champion than the Supreme, and certainly a better one than the Triumph: Rock On Ruby, Hardy Eustace and Istabraq testify to that, probably because it helps to stay further if you want to win a Champion hurdle.

And The New One has far more natural speed than most Neptune winners.

But it was hard not to be seriously blown away by the quite astonishing display of Our Conor :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

SS was great – just hoped there were a few more in the race. Just awesome. The 2 novice hurdles – neptune and supreme – both fantastic races and some really nice horses – TNW looks like a proper machine.

The jink horse in the foxhunters was strange although with the rail and maybe he couldnt see the tape with the mud

:?:

Our Conor, Quevega, Bobs Worth and that 50-1 nap I had were all highlights. I was cheering the mare home even though I was on the French horse. Quevega posing for a photo also :D

The best of all – some young horses that love cheltenham – plenty to think about for next year

Elsewhere on the course they have temporary barriers which they remove once the horses have passed that section for the last time – not sure why they don’t there ?

Sprinter Sacre is phenomenal.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Bobs Worth surging up the hill was something special, I know it was 3m2f and fences but that was Istabraq like, the only two horses I have seen do that to the Cheltenham hill.

How he turned 1 length into 7 length instantaneously was spectacular.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Bobs Worth surging up the hill was something special, I know it was 3m2f and fences but that was Istabraq like, the only two horses I have seen do that to the Cheltenham hill.

How he turned 1 length into 7 length instantaneously was spectacular.

I think it helped that those behind virtually walked over the line.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Our Conor, Triumph Hurdle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

although I didn’t have a bean on him, for obvious reasons, the undoubted highlight would have been the magnificent sprinter sacre in the champion chase.

it was epic to watch his incredible power as he loomed up to the old champ sizing europe- who has trying his heart out but sprinter just laughed at him.

Taking nothing away from SS,(obviously going to replace Kauto Star as the new peoples’ darling), I think it would have been a lot closer if poor old Sizing Europe hadn’t had that little slip which knocked the stuffing out of him.

So many horses to mention but I loved Brian Cooper’s little face getting more and more gobsmacked as his wins totted up! :D I hope he sent Davy Russell a big get-well prezzie

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

So many horses to mention but I loved Brian Cooper’s little face getting more and more gobsmacked as his wins totted up! :D I hope he sent Davy Russell a big get-well prezzie

After a great season here in Ireland, Cooper really announced himself on the biggest stage this week. I have a feeling he’ll be getting the Gigginstown gig sooner rather than later. There have been whispers for a while now that all is not well in the camp.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Highlight was SS delivering on all the promise.so thrilling to see him ease into the lead and amble over the line in that beautiful way of his. The Bryan Cooper saga was heartwarming to follow too, and I was gobsmacked by Our Conors performance, a horse I have to admit I’d never heard of. Exciting to follow him in the future fingers crossed.

Lowlight apart from JT and poor Matuhi was MTOY getting beaten in the first. Very disappointing.t

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

The highlight for me as with every year is arriving at the pearly gates of prestbury park after dodging one hundred touts, the atmosphere crackles. Heaven on earth.

• Total Posts 10

My first time at the festival and it was well worth the 12 hour journey from the lovely isle of Eirinn.
    Highlight would have to be watching Champagne Fever winning the first. One race one winner for me. Got me started for the week.
    The atmosphere in Cheltenham was magical and I fell in love with the place. I’m sure I’ll be back plenty more times.
    Sprinter Sacre and Hurricane Fly are absolutely amazing specimens however I have to say that The New One is quite the looker too (my pick of the rest) and should have a great future.

Trubachist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Champagne Fever in the opener. What a race and what a ride. From then on, Cheltenham was giving us texcellent performances again and again

• Total Posts 190

Highlights would have to be:

Sprinter Sacre, who thanks to the grace of Coral, also made it a profitable experience. What a horse.

Quevega – the sheer will of pretty much everybody in the ring roaring her home was a fantastic experience.

Tony McCoy – after his victory on At Fishers Cross, the only thought on his mind was to remember those not there to witness it. Humility and recognition of a true champ and an embodiment of the spirit of NH racing.

Lowlight was watching Carlito Brigante horribly hampered in the last on Tuesday. It was probably my NAP of the festival and to not even know how horribly wrong my prediction was, is one of the biggest disappointments in the game. Not off the bridle, not fallen by his own accord – just taken out of it.
    Also backed Our Vinnie so not a good festival for that – although maybe Salsify’s victory was my Karma moment.

printersraces
    • Total Posts 29

Sprinter Sacre was outstanding, although it was expected. He is the best chaser I have ever seen and only Arkle is anywhere near him. Although, even Arkle ran straight through a fence in the Gold Cup once, something you could never see Sprinter Sacre doing.

Our Conor was extremely impressive, but again, easily predictable, after his Leopardstown run (where he slaughtered Diakali, without even breaking sweat). This horse has the Champion Hurdle at his mercy. Simply the best 4-y-o hurdler ever, only Hurricane Fly can match his hurdling ability and should Our Conor improve his fluidity over the obstacles, he will be untouchable for a good few years.

• Total Posts 149

Without any doubt at all it was Bobs Worth!

Second it was Back in Focus.

Biggest disappointment was Boston Bob falling at the last and I won’t say any more about that now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.