The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Henry

Home Forums General Sports Henry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Was Henry the best ever Premiership player?

Great striker though he was in England’s top division I think others have made greater contributions. Keane and Cantona immediately spring to mind.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Yes Cormack I’d agree with you on that. At his best he outshone all others who’ve played in the Premiership so far.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

There have been those who’ve had a couple of good seasons – Ginola, Di Canio, but Henry and Cantona did it over a longer period. I also think Bergkamp deserves a mention. Vierra too.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

What about Alan Shearer? Not at one of the top 4 clubs but a fantastic record nevertheless. Surely top among those who’ve not played for any of the big quartet.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Henry v Shearer ?   <br>Shearer may be the best Englishman to have played in the Premiership, but I don’t think he’s Henry’s equal. Shearer (rightly or wrongly) conjures up the  image of the archetypal English centre-forward, big, bustling, in-yer-face, smash the ball and hope it’s on target. But Henry? Ah!- grace, guile, balance, skill, poise (but a bit of a whingebag when things went wrong e.g. 2006 Champions League v Barcelona).

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

That’s about right Insomniac. Whenever I see Shearer, I always think about elbows connecting with defender’s jaws, petulant screaming at the referee and that half-arsed one arm goal celebration.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I would put Shearer in the same bracket as Keane. Both were simply on a different level at what they did compared to others in their role.

Henry is probably the best footballer I’ve seen in the Premiership: wonderful flair combined with outstanding and consistent finishing, a joy to watch at his best. Bloody useless in the air though.

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

Henry the best ever imo followed by Shearer, Fowler, Zola, Cantona and Le Tissier.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.