The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hello Its me. ‘The bearded one here’….I want 10 grand on.

Home Forums Horse Racing Hello Its me. ‘The bearded one here’….I want 10 grand on.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

The Times report on page 5 on the business section Wed 5th March.

”The highlight of last week’s results from Ladbrokes was the £240 million it made from high-rolling telephone punters.
    Chris Bell, the Ladbrokes boss, has always refused to identify these unlucky punters, who think nothing of sticking £10,000 on a horse.

This year, he was even more cagey.
    After much cajoling he conceded it was a ‘handful’.
    I think I understand his retinence. A betting industry source says: ‘It was more likely a handful of one”. Or two?
    From the Middle East.
    Who may be Muslim, and so not supposed to bet.
    And unwilling to be unmasked as quite so profligate, or so stupid.”

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Harry Findlay commented on this in his interview with Steve Mellish and Lydia Hislop on RUK today.

Harry was correct in stating that Chris Bell the Ladbrokes Chairman was wrong in highlighting the losses of the high rollers.

As he rightly said the likes of Ladbrokes dont take too long in closing winning accounts and Harry was correct in stating Ladbrokes would never give him an account.

The best course of action, I would have thought was to give no clues as to what type of customers were losing the most. It may have been better to say the profits came from all types of accounts.

Once he had given a clue as to how many really high rollers he had that had lost so much it would not take any decent jounalist long to name the person(s).

If I was one of the people who had lost a fortune to Ladbrokes the last thing I would want is them to partially let anyone know a clue who I was.

Where as Harry Findlay thought a lot of the high rollers losing were the likes of professional footballers the inside rumour according to The Times is that it is more or less down to one man.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.