The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Headgear that isn’t blinkers.

Home Forums Horse Racing Headgear that isn’t blinkers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

I’ve just remembered something I saw at the weekend; a horse wearing what looked like blinkers but with nothing around to eye to reduce vision in any way. The guy next to me said they’d used it on his horse in an attempt to make her settle [it didn’t work]. I must point out that I was a) very hot and b)very tired so I might have imagined the whole thing. Did I?

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1407

Hi Moe

It was likely a hood which are becoming more common on the racecourse these days.

Did it look something like this?

http://www.boblangrish.com/images/galleriesimages/JQ4P7706StabledHorseWearingHood.jpg

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

That’s the sort of thing I meant, although wasn’t aware of it covering so much of the head. Mike read an article the other day that said the new whip rules will mean that more horses will wear blinkers etc..does that mean more horses will wear hoods as well? And, how do they make horses settle?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Secret Asset often wears a hood so it might have been him you saw at Longchamp on Sunday Moehat.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

I think it was one of the later races. We often leave before the last race or two to avoid the crowds, but I wanted to see Banimpire as she’s one of my favourite horses. I love dark bay, almost black horses and they were everywhere on Saturday and Sunday. If only I’d listened to you the day would have been perfect. I think I got it in my head that Danedream wouldn’t be a good price at Longchamp. I see that Kim Bailey is using a new kind of noseband as well. Can’t keep up with all this!

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

I see that every so often in harness racing where there’s all sorts of weird headgear.

I’m still waiting for these to catch on…
    http://www.bigdweb.com/BRUSH-SHADOWROLL … nfo/418BS/

JollypJollyp
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

It could have possibly been ‘Pacifiers’ they are blinkers with mesh over the eyes instead of cups at the side.They were invented by a Brisbane jockey named Michael Pelling in the late 80’s. Originally the were for eye protection and called ‘Pelling Protectors’. However they work amazingly well at settling a horse down,most horses seem to race better in them.It is i suppose like wearing a pair of sunnies for us as it filters out the light and gives a softer outlook for the horse that seems to settle them.They can also have the normal blinker cups fitted to them as well if it is thought the horse needs more concentration.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2921
    robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4556

Jollyp

Horses in the UK are sometimes equipped with what you would call ‘pacifiers’ but they are known here as ‘eyeshields’ and declared as such.

I’ve also seen an ‘eyecover’ which compeletely cover one eye and I would guess are used if a horse has limited vision in one eye and/or the eye is very sensitive.

Rob

JollypJollyp
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

Jollyp

Horses in the UK are sometimes equipped with what you would call ‘pacifiers’ but they are known here as ‘eyeshields’ and declared as such.

I’ve also seen an ‘eyecover’ which compeletely cover one eye and I would guess are used if a horse has limited vision in one eye and/or the eye is very sensitive.

Rob

Yes Rob, they are one and the same.The first horse to sport them on an English track was Choisir, after his success they caused a bit of interest.I seem to remember shortly after an English mare was the first horse to wear them,she had not won for close on 2 years. She won at her first start in them then backed up and won her next start in them as well.

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

Jollyp

Rob

The notoriously spooky Whirlaway would often swing to the outside rail until his trainer made an almost-full cup blinker for his left eye.

Jimjames
    • Total Posts 19

Interesting topic.

Can anyone list all the types of headgear and explain the function of each type?

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919
    roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Hood means a garment similar to blinkers, incorporating ear covers but without eye cowls;
    Blinkers means a garment fitted over a horse’s head with holes for the eyes and ears, one or both eyeholes being fitted with cowls cutting out all vision to the rear but permitting full forward vision;
    Visor means a garment similar to blinkers in which one or both cowls have holes cut in them permitting limited side or rear vision;
    Eyeshield means a garment similar to blinkers except that in place of the eye cowls both eyes are covered with a mesh or other transparent material;
    Eyecover means a garment similar to blinkers except that in place of the eye cowls one eye only is completely covered by an opaque cover;
    Cheek Pieces means two strips of sheepskin or any other similar material or device which is attached to the cheek pieces of the bridle;
    Tongue Strap means any device used to tie down a horse’s tongue.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4556

Yes Rob, they are one and the same.The first horse to sport them on an English track was Choisir, after his success they caused a bit of interest.I seem to remember shortly after an English mare was the first horse to wear them,she had not won for close on 2 years. She won at her first start in them then backed up and won her next start in them as well.

Choisir certianly wasn’t the first to wear them in England. The first time I remember seeing eyeshields was when I saw a Bill Holden filly called Bryone wearing them back in the 80s. They weren’t very common but I’m sure others would have worn them around that time, though they weren’t declared when used.

Rob

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.