The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Have some of my summer racecalls online..

Home Forums Horse Racing Have some of my summer racecalls online..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

Hi People!

I now have some of my calls linked at my website. The addy is http://britishracecaller.blospot.com

Would appreciate any feedback you have so I can become a better commentator.

Thanks

Craig

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I shalll have a look tomorrow

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

The link is shite, it goes to some advertsising rubbish

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

The link is shite, it goes to some advertsising bollocks – fail 1

Hi sberry!

http://britishracecaller.blogspot.com

Missed a G!

THanks

Craig

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I cut and pasted the URL from your blogsite as the link on it seems not to work but just saw races 7, 8 & 9.

First thought was the volume – it nearly blew my windows out – it’s not that loud at the course is it?

Race 9 was a 1/4 race and isn’t probably a good thing to commentate on, it seemed to be changing every time you mentioned a horse so the commentary looked a bit out of synch but races 7 & 8 were okay, I can listen to that style of commentary comfortably unlike some which do grate when you’re at the races – that’s the success criteria for me.

BTW, did Mr Charlie Potatoes win race 8 as you called it the winner a bit prematurely I thought and then announced the photo – did you get it right?

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yeah that seemed a very confident call for a close finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68jVx9nstFU

That’s the sort of standard you need to be calling at to be considered excellent though IMO.

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

I cut and pasted the URL from your blogsite as the link on it seems not to work but just saw races 7, 8 & 9.

First thought was the volume – it nearly blew my windows out – it’s not that loud at the course is it?

Race 9 was a 1/4 race and isn’t probably a good thing to commentate on, it seemed to be changing every time you mentioned a horse so the commentary looked a bit out of synch but races 7 & 8 were okay, I can listen to that style of commentary comfortably unlike some which do grate when you’re at the races – that’s the success criteria for me.

BTW, did Mr Charlie Potatoes win race 8 as you called it the winner a bit prematurely I thought and then announced the photo – did you get it right?

Hi Sberry!

A couple of people have mentioned the sound, I will look into that. It is not that loud at the course!

Calling a Quarter Horse Race is always tough. Especially as Race 9 were the cream of the crop and going very quickly, so no matter what I say, by the time I say it they are doing some thing else. I think with the QH’s you just have to describe what you can see, once you have noted who broke well and then try to set up for a finish. But it does happen so quick. Certainly not the time to draw a mental blank.

The Commentary Box at Arapahoe Park is right over the photo finish camera (and therefore over the wire) I was sure he got there but as soon as I finished the call, I ripped off the headset, raced to the TV room next door to see their freeze frame. I called it right but when a photo is declared, I have to announce it post-race as a photo until it is judged, by order of the Stewards!

Thanks for your feedback!

Craig

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I’d love to hear a commentary like that at Lingfield, perhaps delivered in Thommo style.

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

Yeah that seemed a very confident call for a close finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68jVx9nstFU

That’s the sort of standard you need to be calling at to be considered excellent though IMO.

Yeah, but sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling on these things. In 420 races there this summer, I called a photo wrong twice. Two times too many, to be sure, but does one chicken out or be a little bold?

As for the call you linked too, well, I will never get that good, may as well chuck the binoculars out of the window now!!! :)

Craig

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I love it when you comentate Craig. It’s the only 2 minutes you spend not talking about yourself. :)

Craig Braddick
    • Total Posts 373

That’s not actually true, Graeme. You obviously have not met my wife!!!

If one is to improve, one has to get the word out there and take the criticism on the chin. No point in doing it otherwise.

Get to know me a bit and you will see for yourself! :)

Craig

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.