The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Greatwood Gold Cup 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Greatwood Gold Cup 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    DBRDBRDBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 434

Tomorrow at Newbury, 16 runners.

* Azzuri
    * Dolos
    * Dustin Des Mottes
    * Gala Ball
    * Happy Diva
    * Javert
    * Master Dee
    * Mercian Prince
    * Nightfly Doing
    * San Benedeto
    * Shanahan’s Turn
    * Valdez
    * Value At Risk
    * War Sound
    * Warriors Tale
    * Zalvados

I like Mercian Prince here at 14/1. He was mighty impressive at Kempton last time. It certainly wasn’t the strongest race, but he jumped like a dream. He has gone up by 10 pounds for that, but if he produces another round of jumping like that he might win again. Also a little saver with Happy Diva at 11/2. Won last time and placed befote that behind Cyrname and Aso. Should go close here.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

This looks an ultra competitive h’cap and a case could easily be made for most in this, but
    I’m quite keen on Azzuri at 25/1. He’s been a fairly consistent animal, and looked really well when he absolutely trotted up in a decent handicap (Grade B) at Killarney
    last July. He was pretty much hammered for that and stuck up another 13lbs. He transferred back
    to Dan Skelton in January, and hasn’t come to life yet in the two outings Skelton sent him out,
    but there was no money for him and he was very weak in the market on both occasions. As a result
    of that he has come down the weights by 7lbs. I reckon he is worth a 6lb raise since his very easy
    win at Killarney, and my take on it is that Skelton has had this as a target and both his last 2
    runs have given him a chance with his weight coming down. I’d expect his odds to fall if he’s fit
    for this, I’ve taken the 25s with Betfred, they have cut that to 22/1, but Coral still have him at
    25/1. If Skelton has him ready he has a good shout here.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4854

I am two in this DOLOS if he gets the trip will win this and at 8/1 is worth the risk methinks. His best form is over two miles and the stable loves this race and his other two runners look like the are running for future prizes.
    the other one is DUSTIN DES MOTTES at 14/1 . This could be the improver in the race and he looks like this trip will suit on his French form.

Good Luck Guys :good: :good:

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17608

Azzuri for me as well here. Not that bothered with recent runs, but he was immediate notebook material after his win at Killarney last summer. Was planning a decent punt on him for The Galway Plate, but he didn’t get an entry. The 25’s to Five Places is decent.

I think Javert is a big threat, but I’ll chance San Benedetto as back up 14’s.

Azzuri 25’s EW
    San Benedetto 14’s

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1843

Happy Diva ew 5 places here.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Another Happy Diva signing in EW to 5

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

potato
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 832

All over SAN BENEDETO at 12/1 ew 5 places 1/4 odds with 365.

Trainer has won 7 of the last 10 runnings of this race. Harry Cobden has been sent to ride Getaway Trump at Kelso but was originally coming to Newbury and was going to be riding this one.
    Was rated as highly as 158 just 9 months ago, has now dropped down to 147.
    The last time he ran in a handicap chase from a mark in the 140s he won nicely.
    Isnt ground dependant and it wont be a problem if the ground changes in either direction.
    Well beaten in his last 2 races but stood no chance behind Cyrname last time and is now ready to get very competitive here
    Horse absolutely comes to life at this time of year and his form figures in FEB, March and April are

2/3/1/1/1/1

Horse has NEVER lost a race in the month of March (2 from 2).

12/1 5 places on a wonderfully well handicapped horse who comes to life at this time of year and is trained by not only a trainer in great form but a great trainer who really targets this race.

No doubt this is the Nicholls number 1 regardless of what the market says and the team believe it would be somewhat rude to not take advantage of bet365s kind offer of 12/1 quarter odds 5 places .

The team are expecting to eat well tonight. :yes: :yes: :yes:

peter .hpeter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1252

Value At Risk is exactly that! Plenty to suggest this is beyond him, but wasn’t treated too harshly for winning last time out under todays 10lb claimer and I’m happy to take a chance at 22/1 five places.

Happy Diva looks pretty solid and is my saver :whistle:

Lemons68Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 436

STD has had some nice Saturday winners of late, so I’ll follow the man in form, as he looks to be on an overpriced one here with Dustin Des Mottes at 14-1

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

Not the greatest of signs that Azzuri has drifted out to 40s, he’s got the form to
    be involved in this but I’d have expected a bit of stable confidence. Anyway, ever
    the optimist, I’ve topped up with the 40s 5 places. God loves a trier :unsure:

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1843

Happy Diva won. but with no jockey. lol

wd winners.

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Well done Bobby and potato, who’s shaping up his celebrations in readiness for the 15th

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3071

Wd potato and VtC; I’d deserted him after some not brilliant runs earlier in the season but that was good.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4854

WELL DONE BOBBY and POTATO :good: :good: TOP STUFF :good: :good:
    I see Dolos crawled in fifth for the each way :good:

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7136

Very well done Bobby and Potato, he looks a decent sort and landed that at a nice price :good:

I’m left scratching my head with Azzuri, that’s 3 races he’s run since moving back to Skelton,
    and not only has he literally not been at the races, the market announced it on all 3 occasions
    where he’s drifted alarmingly. He looked a promising type in Ireland, but either he’s lost his
    love for the game or something is clearly wrong. I’d love to hear Dan Skelton’s comments on the
    horse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.