The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grands Cru, Sprinter Sacre should go for Championship races

Home Forums Horse Racing Grands Cru, Sprinter Sacre should go for Championship races

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

I just feel that both races have the ‘shape’ of a certain vulnerability this year. The Gold Cup field lacks any depth and is basically a guessing game outside the first two. The likes of Midnight Chase are now being thought of as possible winners, which is pretty dumb. (I know, I fell for it last year.)

Grands Crus’s outstanding time at Kempton makes him more than interesting in such a limited field and I really would take a punt with him were he mine.

The case for SS is less clear cut, but the three players in the Champion are all getting on a bit and there’s probably no improvement there, not that there needs to be in Sizing Europe’s case. Again, it could cut up into a one/two runner affair so why not have a tilt with a rapidly improving young horse? I would admit though that the Arkle looks like low-hanging fruit for SS now.

Tradition dictates that it makes more ‘sense’ to work your horse upwards, I suppose, but as with all racehorses, there may not be a ‘next year’ and this year’s races look to have shallow fields. I’d go for it. Then again, I probably always would!

Mike

theplasticpaddy
    • Total Posts 57

Hope they don’t, novices don’t just have bad records in championship races at the festival, in the gold cup they have a record of multiple falatity, Ten Plus, Gloria Victis etc. If the Arkle and the RSA were being run for peanuts then fair enough but they are valuable races in their own right. Don’t think Grand Crus will win the RSA myself and Sprinter Sacre would need to be very good to beat Sizing Europe who appears better than ever this year now they have stopped training him to stay.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Far easier to say if you don’t actually own the horses I would think.

I think most would be more than happy to win a novice race and if they don’t win that they are most unlikely to have been in the shake up for the championship race.

There’s also next year and the year after, I’ve never thought that there may not be a "next year" was a good enough reason to run a horse in the wrong race.

kasparov
    • Total Posts 660

I think 8-1 Grands Crus Gold Cup NRNB is a good deal. Not likely to run but if does he will go off at less than 8-1 as I think he will only run if LR or KS drops out.

Also might be worth punting on GC for the King George next year and/or Gold Cup.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

novices don’t just have bad records in championship races at the festival, in the gold cup they have a record of multiple fatality, Ten Plus, Gloria Victis etc.

Ten Plus wasn’t a novice, his novice season started two years before. By the 1989 Gold Cup, he was a highly-rated, experienced yet injury-prone chaser. Gloria Victis was tecnically a novice but had been running in chases in France as a 4yo.

Horses are more precocious nowadays – Master Minded was a Champion Chaser at five, Long Run a Gold Cup winner at six – but I’m not really saying that racing potentially top-class horses early in their career in Championship races should be a new paradigm. It’s more a case of the

shape

of this year’s races.

The Gold Cup, in particular, looks vastly different from last season, which featured Long Run, Kauto, Denman and Imperial Commander amongst others. Long Run may not be as good as last year, Kauto is 12. If I was Grands Crus connections I would

have

to consider that.

But as Eddy Case said, it’s easy when you don’t own them!

Mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.