The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National – Backbeat

Home Forums Horse Racing Grand National – Backbeat

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Prince Chicaf
    • Total Posts 64

I haven’t had a serious look at this race yet and have already ap’d on McKelvey but I can’t get away from a gut feeling that Backbeat is going to run a big race.

There’s probably a million and one trends to say he can’t do it but his run at Sandown where he was a 28/1 outsider going away up the hill on his seasonal debut looks as good as ‘trial’ as i’ve seen. I can just picture him now loving it, bowling along out in front in a Lord Gyllene ‘pillar to post’ type of way. Seems best right handed though, although he has won at Newbury over hurdles in a big field. I also get the feeling that Howard Johnson is hiding his ability a little bit. I can’t see any logic in running him over hurdles over a distance not stretching the stamina he proved at Sandown.

Trouble is, he’s 160/1 with Betfair and therefore I have some slight doubts that he may be a non-runner. Does anyone know what the plans are for this one. He’s a lightly raced 11yo so I would of thought that if he was going to run it would be this year not next ?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

The fact that he’s 160 on BF would suggest that his plans lie elsewhere. He’s in at Aintree off 139- the same as 2nd Favourite Comply or Die- so getting in wouldn’t be a problem.
    In saying that, the race he won at Sandown looked pretty modest so I’d say in most people’s minds place money would rank as the best hope by far

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 922

as we are getting nearer to the race im beginning to like comply or die

vf

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Would be a little worried that his improved form has coincided with the application of blinkers. These tend to be a negative in the National, if they persist with them (which they probably will) notwithstanding the win of Earth Summit.

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 922

didnt know that, thats put me off again now :lol:

Prince Chicaf
    • Total Posts 64

Looks like Backbeat will get a run with only Opera Mundi in the top 40 to confirm. Dead chuffed with that as i’m on at the 250 (yesterday) and the 160 on the day of posting to win approx £2k and £150 to place.

That’ll do though, I think.

McKelvey, Backbeat AP, maybe just one more on the day after i’ve had a proper look. 8)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.