The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Was injured in the race last year, I believe. Have backed him every year since forever so may have to add him to my ever growing list of small ew’s. Always had the profile of a winner, and Jonjo is so good with this type of horse. Surprisingly only a ten year old; thought he was nearly as old as me. I can’t see Blazing Tempo running but I do like her. Spotted her in the run up to Cheltenham last year then missed out on backing her when she started wining. A very good little mare. Finding the race a nightmare this year, with a few ‘heart over head’ horses such as Fair Along running. Will definately have an ew on Roulez Cool who is pretty certain to run now that their other horse is injured. Does anyone know if Ollie Magern is entered in the Foxhunters, by the way. Good to see him back, although surely NTD has run out of young sons to ride his hunter chasers?

• Total Posts 1533

Anyone know if Knockara Beau is being aimed at the National?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Pretty sure he isn’t.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

There is an article on sportinglife saying he is an intended runner in the Gold Cup.

• Total Posts 15015

HGM, moe’s right, he isn’t entered, but he is going to Cheltenham. Trainer stated that the run over hurdles last week was to get a run into him before Cheltenham.

I think the 3m hcap on the Tuesday is the plan, though he still holds a Gold Cup entry………………

now reads Eclipses post and sees that The Gold Cup is the plan.

beefy2311
    • Total Posts 4

Wanted to see Junior enter ever since the hype last year. I know the quality of Synchronised and Ballabriggs but the odds (and weights) aren’t overly appealing at this stage. Could be tempted on the day.

I’m currently looking at 3 horses for various reasons:

1) Giles Cross – 25/1 – tremendous jumping on Saturday and seemed to have another gear.
    2) Killyglen – 33/1 – a few talking about this as a contender
    3) Organisedconfusion – was tipped this horse for last years Irish National, similar sources said keep an eye on this if it gets a favourable weight.

Interested to hear any thooughts on the above

• Total Posts 1533

HGM, moe’s right, he isn’t entered, but he is going to Cheltenham. Trainer stated that the run over hurdles last week was to get a run into him before Cheltenham.

I think the 3m hcap on the Tuesday is the plan, though he still holds a Gold Cup entry………………

now reads Eclipses post and sees that The Gold Cup is the plan.

Thanks all!!

Did it say when the men in white coats were coming to pick them up? 8)

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Does anyone know who got put up in Racing & Football Outlook?

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Trying to decipher the tweets, I think Nick Watts has gone for Cappa Bleu, West End Rocker and Fair Along.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Connections have more sense than to enter Knockara Beau for the National. Jumping has declined recently and probably best over hurdles nowadays.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

Wanted to see Junior enter ever since the hype last year. I know the quality of Synchronised and Ballabriggs but the odds (and weights) aren’t overly appealing at this stage. Could be tempted on the day.

I’m currently looking at 3 horses for various reasons:

1) Giles Cross – 25/1 – tremendous jumping on Saturday and seemed to have another gear.

Interested to hear any thoughts on the above

Giles Cross impressed me too Beefy. Jumped exceptionally well and travelled like a dream. Unlike some "stayers" do think he has enough pace for the job. Idling close home and plenty more in the tank. Prominent runner too which helps at Aintree. 25/1 looks very good value on the face of it, trouble is connections (and evidence so far) seems to suggest he’s better with plenty of give underfoot. I guess a somewhat doubtful starter, so you might not get a run for your money. Might be an idea to wait until at least a couple of weeks beforehand and study the weather forecast thoroughly before deciding to have a bet. I’d also be interested in taking a chance on good ground suiting him once non runner no bet comes in (no chance of losing your money if they do take him out) if anywhere near 25/1 at that stage.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

PDB as low as 7s now

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Really happy with Black Apalachi’s run today. Stayed on very impressively from the rear, showing that the further they go the better he gets. Still has plenty of spirit despite his age and regardless of what the trainer may think; 11-3 is a very nice weight for a horse who after today’s performance should be carrying a lot more. Got 50’s on him. He’s now down to 33’s, so i’m happy with that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

From my blog: http://wp.me/p1o7dN-FQ

I’m cautiously happy (as with all ante-post bets; they still need to get there) after the easy victory of Prince De Beauchene at Fairyhouse today, having tipped him at 25/1 for the National. He’s now as low as 7/1. Carrying just 10st 6lbs and still improving, given luck, he will have a strong chance.

My other fancy, and one I think will shorten from his current price of 20/1 (with Ladbrokes and Stan James) is West End Rocker. Alan King’s horse has several things going for him as a potential national winner: the primary one is his apparent love of the course. He jumped round in the Becher Chase as though enjoying every minute, a huge advantage. Not many horses love The National fences but those who do tend to run well again and again there.

He first tried these fences last year in the National where he was unluckily brought down at Becher’s.

09Apr11 Aintree ( 36 Gd )

I was jumping like a buck and thought I was in for some ride but then got brought down – Robert Thornton

Back for Becher Chase in November, Wayne Hutchinson got him into a beautiful relaxed rhythm – probably more important at Aintree than any other track – and he won by 22 lengths. Hutchinson said:

03Dec11 Aintree ( 26 Hy ,RPR155 )

I thoroughly enjoyed that, what a ride he was. The key to him is he has to find his gear, he jumps from fence to fence and he wants these big, galloping tracks. I am sure he will be back for the Grand National. – Wayne Hutchinson

Hutchinson has won on all three completed rides on West End Rocker (pulled up in the other one) and, for a long time was a most under-rated jockey. His talents have been revealed in the past few months when he took over as first jockey at Alan King’s temporarily (R Thornton was out injured). He’s already been confirmed to ride the horse at Aintree and that’s another significant plus as he will once again try to get the horse switched off and into a rhythm.

Although the Becher victory was on heavy ground, he has no going preferences, another positive in ante-post betting. Over the 3m 5f Becher trip he was staying on strongly (he’d previously won on heavy over the same trip at Warwick). Stamina won’t be an issue and he has also won over 3 miles so he’s not just a plodder.

West End Rocker has just 10st 12lbs and, with the 25s PDB long gone, is now the value bet.

Good luck

Joe

Participant
    • Total Posts 2272

form updated from todays runners

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

PDB as low as 7s now

Quite frankly a ridiculous price and i’m tempted to lay it all the way til April. Just not bred to win this race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13249

Peter H wrote….

Really happy with Black Apalachi’s run today. Stayed on very impressively from the rear, showing that the further they go the better he gets. Still has plenty of spirit despite his age and regardless of what the trainer may think; 11-3 is a very nice weight for a horse who after today’s performance should be carrying a lot more. Got 50’s on him. He’s now down to 33’s, so i’m happy with that.

I’d love to see him do well in it Peter, I had him in 2009 when I felt hard done by when he unseated, traveling really well, and 2010 when I thought with a couple to go he would win it.

I watched the re-run of the Fairyhouse race on ATT, and he stayed on well against PDB, at level weights. He will be giving him 11lbs in the National and that takes a bit of turning around on form, although I accept this was his first race back after an absence of nearly 2 years. Certainly an excellent prep race for the National and we know he takes to Aintree very well. Although PDB did nothing wrong winning the John Smith’s there last year.

My main concern is his age, I think Black Apalachi is a cracking National horse, and I think he’s a little unlucky he hasn’t won it, but I have reservations about him doing it at 13. I’m not saying he won’t, he looked well in his prep race, but you have to go back to 1923 to find the last winner of the race at 13years old (Sergeant Murphy)

I’m going give him a miss this year, but I do hope for your sake that I am wrong. Best of luck

Incidentally, there is still plenty of 50-1 about.

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.