The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gordon Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Gordon Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

Can anyone tell me why Harbinger has been off for 83 days please?. i can remember something about it in the press but like a fool made no notes. he’s quite short for the ledger.

blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

i’ve found an answer to my own question. :oops: to anyone else who’s interested.

Harbinger did not run in the King Edward VII at Royal Ascot due to a strained muscle in his quarters, which prevented Sir Michael from working him beforehand so will now head to Goodwood at the end of July. Although this was extremely disappointing for his owners in the Admiral Rous syndicate, the horse himself is one hundred percent sound and, in Michael’s own words, “this is a proper horse and must be treated as such.”

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m looking forward to this race and seeing Harbinger again. There was a bit of 9/4 on offer but lasted about 10 minutes.

I hope he wins but there are slight doubts about the trip and most likley SMS won’t have him 100% for this. It is a big test for the horse but the main thing will be to see if he stays well enough to run in the St Leger.

5/1 is a huge price for Masterofthehorse if he can be forgiven his run in the Irish Derby. If he does bounce he could be a big danger. Certainly the form horse of the race.

Those 2 against the field for me

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Masterofthehorse I think wont have the stamina for this, wouldn’t surprise me if he fails to place although his class should see him through for it for me it seems connections are trying to steal a pot before heading to Qatar, however Harbinger is certainly one that does interest me, he just looked one for massive improvement in his maiden run and I’d be surprised if he is turned over, he seems bound to stay.

My FC would be Harbinger to beat Urban Poet.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

I don’t know much about this Mountail lady, but is she useless or something?

5/1 about Masterofthehorse is an insult to the woman!

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Around 320 runs have eneded with 18 winners, none were 3 y/o, her record must surely be better at Qatar.

blackfingernail
    • Total Posts 108

I’m looking forward to this race and seeing Harbinger again. There was a bit of 9/4 on offer but lasted about 10 minutes.

I hope he wins but there are slight doubts about the trip and most likley SMS won’t have him 100% for this. It is a big test for the horse but the main thing will be to see if he stays well enough to run in the St Leger.

thats what i was thinking, he wouldn’t be quite 100% looking at his entries. this,the group 2 voltiguer at york then onto doncaster. sms has bound to left something to work on.

i think urban poet looks interesting, his win at hamilton was facile and he cost a fair packet £2.9 million, this could be his cup final seeing as he has no other entries in his book.his trainer loves the meeting. it’s a tough un, if i can get 9/4 again for the sms horse then that’ll do for me.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Watched the Hamilton maiden win today – one thing that struck me was his appearance. By golly he looked the part. Strong, majestic, imposing figure with a great head about him.

The sudden transition from maiden to Group 3 (and a very solid Group 3 at that) interests me. Too soon?

I’ll bet because I like hype horses. 8)

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

At 5/1 Masterofthehorse is a horse you’ve got to take a chance on in this. Ok he’s been sold by O’Brien’s team so you kind of suspect its possible we may have seen the best of this horse he may even be on the downgrade but his last two runs have been third in a group one and forth in a group one. It wasn’t a while back you’ve only got to go back a matter of weeks. Today he’s running in a group three event where the favourite has won nothing but (On form) an ordinary maiden which has no substance to it.

Admittedly Harbinger has a decent reputation and could be anything and Firebet is in good form but 5/1 about a horse with Masterofthehorse’s profile is much too big a price.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Quite fancy Montaff each-way. Obviously Channon thinks a lot of him and a first-time visor might sort him out.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Big Bound is a stupid price as well. 40/1 what’s all that about? 16/1 on my tissue. :o. Up in trip I know and has to improve but an in form Gosden / Fortune horse at that sort of price is way too big.

54/1 on Betfair. :o :o

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

I landed quite a nice touch with Firebet last time out and in such a competitive race, I’m sticking with him.

Such a versatile horse that keeps on improving.

A winner over six, seven, eight and ten furlongs, he was doing his best work in the closing stages last time and this extra distance could bring out even further improvement.

Masterofthehorse sets the standard, but I know little of the trainer.

Harbinger is held in high regard, his form with Changingoftheguard is working out particularly well and Sir Michael Stoute is flying at present. Could need the race after an injury.

Urban Poet was a very impressive winner on his debut. Beat little, but you couldn’t fail to be impressed and a lovely looking individual. Inexperience is a negative.

Firebet for me.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Nice win by Harbinger. Drifted but won comprehensively. Race not run at a very strong pace so the form may not be that reliable though the first three were fancied.

Should improve further the winner.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Another stab in the eye with ashrp stick for Sea the Stars. This Derby form gets worse by the minute :(

Harbinger drifted which would seem to with coincide with SMS leaving a little bit to work on.

The question still remains wil he stay the St Leger trip?

They said on RUK we should hold fire on backing him……geez there slow! Too late guys some of us backed him weeks ago. :cry:

I’d like to say I know what SMS is likely to do but that race was run with no early pace and wasn’t much of a clue on whether he would get te trip or not.

However he’s got nothing to beat and he could send him as it is still regarded as a Classic.

One things for sure ….the Derby form is falling to pieces with Golden Sword and now Masterofthehorse letting it down badly. The fact Rip Van Winkle reverts to a mile which I believe is his real trip doesn’t help matters.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Another stab in the eye with ashrp stick for Sea the Stars. This Derby form gets worse by the minute :(

Harbinger drifted which would seem to with coincide with SMS leaving a little bit to work on.

The question still remains wil he stay the St Leger trip?

They said on RUK we should hold fire on backing him……geez there slow! Too late guys some of us backed him weeks ago. :cry:

I’d like to say I know what SMS is likely to do but that race was run with no early pace and wasn’t much of a clue on whether he would get te trip or not.

However he’s got nothing to beat and he could send him as it is still regarded as a Classic.

One things for sure ….the Derby form is falling to pieces with Golden Sword and now Masterofthehorse letting it down badly. The fact Rip Van Winkle reverts to a mile which I believe is his real trip doesn’t help matters.

I wouldn’t say Derby form has taken a knock, Fist. Masterofthehorse has gone, and is clearly going backwards, hence the sale. This race was always going to be irrelevant to Derby form, and so it proved.

Put your dagger away for another day :wink:

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

The Derby form gas also seen Fame And Glory win a classic by what was it 4 / 5 lengths and Sea The Stars win the Eclipse where the subsequant King George winner was 5 1/2 lengths away.

You can put a positive or negative spin on the Derby form depending on which stance suits a particular argument.

Masterofthehorse is one to leave well alone (aftertiming I know). I couldn’t have got the race more wrong if I tried. :oops:

Harbinger doesn’t strike me as a Leger horse to be honest I’d be surprised if he’s aimed at the race.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I just wonder if Harbinger’s not a potential Arc type.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.