The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Goodnightirene

Home Forums Memorials Goodnightirene

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Sadly it had it’s hind legs smashed when jumping the open ditch in the 2.40 at Fontwell.
    What a ridiculous track this has become with horses running on bottomless ground then on the all weather for about a furlong or so and then again on heavy ground shortly before jumping the ditch.
    You would have to be insane to call this fair towards the poor animals and also to the jockeys.
    To make things even worse Colmers Hill fall looked just as bad and I don’t think that he is 100% okay.

Rest in Peace Goodnightirene

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

RIP Goodnightirene :cry:

That sounded awful Ruby, poor girl.

Hope Colmers Hill is OK after his nasty fall, please let us know.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

RIP Goodnightirene 😥

That sounded awful Ruby, poor girl.

Hope Colmers Hill is OK after his nasty fall, please let us know.

I think Colmers Hill got up okay. Probably he was just winded.

Meerkat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 66

Don’t think Fontwell has become “ridiculous”. From what I can gather there have been four fatal injuries there since October 2016. I think that is a considerably better ratio than some other tracks.

Ems
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11

Sadly it had it’s hind legs smashed

No, she damaged her pelvis, which was too significant an injury to repair. Her hind legs were not *smashed*. I am not naive, I get that horses get injuries that are not survivable for them, but please don’t make it something it isn’t.It is unfortunate enough without you using such language to highlight your own agenda.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Sadly it had it’s hind legs smashed

No, she damaged her pelvis, which was too significant an injury to repair. Her hind legs were not *smashed*. I am not naive, I get that horses get injuries that are not survivable for them, but please don’t make it something it isn’t.It is unfortunate enough without you using such language to highlight your own agenda.

Ruby is the resident vet here Ems. A remarkable one too considering he is able to diagnose injuries based on TV images

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Ohhh! I was waiting for you wexfordman. Your replies just show how much you care about equine welfare.

If you can’t stand the truth that hind legs are smashed from the upper body when they fully hit a wooden obstacle at about 30 mph then you should stop urinating stupid comments every time I write something. It is still an injury that shouldn’t happen in sports.

In what other sports do athletes get shot in the head for breaking their limbs? The circumstances in which the race took place make it even worse. Racing on heavy ground, then running for about 300 yards on the AW then slowing down again when coming back to the turf and then jumping an obstacle. Don’t know any countries where this is common practice.

What is this here? A forum where just a few people’s opinions count, or what?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1404

I strongly agree with ERL’s general point. Jumps races are meant to be run on grass. Small stretches of sand as at Kempton and Musselburgh, for example, are acceptable, however the continuous stretch of all-weather surface at Fontwell is: a). far too long; b). because the chase track is tight, the sand accounts for too great a proportion of the race distance; c). the beach ends too close to the next obstacle, often tackled on vastly different ground (clerks are always keen to achieve uniformity of the racing surface, it’s what trainers want).

Rather than invest in the all-weather strip, Fontwell should have expended resources in finding an agronomic solution and been willing to alter its programme to create a longer gap when it stages no meetings at all than, essentially, the month of July.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Ohhh! I was waiting for you wexfordman. Your replies just show how much you care about equine welfare.

If you can’t stand the truth that hind legs are smashed from the upper body when they fully hit a wooden obstacle at about 30 mph then you should stop urinating stupid comments every time I write something. It is still an injury that shouldn’t happen in sports.

In what other sports do athletes get shot in the head for breaking their limbs? The circumstances in which the race took place make it even worse. Racing on heavy ground, then running for about 300 yards on the AW then slowing down again when coming back to the turf and then jumping an obstacle. Don’t know any countries where this is common practice.

What is this here? A forum where just a few people’s opinions count, or what?

You have no idea how much i care about equine welfare, what I don’t do however is to speculate, exaggerate and guess about what may or may not have happened to a horse and then present it as fact.

For the record I agree with your point about the bend at fontwell and they also need to arrange the course so that the finishing straight and the bends are not part of both the hurdle track and the chase track which is why they cut up so badly.

But armchair veterinary is not helpful or accurate

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Well, maybe I’m exaggerating a bit too early sometimes. But apart from Cheltenham and Aintree what other racecourses have made modifications to make the course safer? It is rarely a matter of the obstacles, unless we talk about the catapult fences at Southwell.
    Most of the times when something bad happens it’s due to the state of the ground. I know that Wetherby made some changes a few years ago, but I can’t recall any other tracks.
    Haydock seems to love racing on heavy ground during the winter which results in small fields and horses finishing dozens of lengths apart.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2833

I said the same on the horse racing section immediately after the race.

There’s no way this race should’ve been run. Awful ground. Awful conditions ask quite frankly a shocking decision to run.

The other horses fall involved him sliding after the fence on the floor for a few metres. Thankfully, she was only winded.

RIP Goodnightirene

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.