The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Good old Guesty

Home Forums Horse Racing Good old Guesty

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

First he sees Les Arcs win a group one for his new trainer. All Guesty could manage was a couple of Scottish handicaps – with the beast getting all the help he could get on both occasions.

Then his main owner finds out that if you lie down with the dogs you’re gonna get up with a few fleas.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

If there are suspicious betting patterns, I would like to think that if they are talking to the multi millionaire owner, they will also be having a word with the trainer, who’s recent financial issues have been well documented in the press of late.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I must have read a different article in the RP to the one that you read then Glenn – I didn’t see any mention in today’s Post that Guesty was implicated, or indeed had been hauled in by the HRA to answer questions.

Besides, Paul Beck hasn’t been Guesty’s main owner since around Christmas – I’m very surprised that one passed you by as you are such a despiser of Guesty!

Ardross
    • Total Posts 98

All Guest needs now is to start putting R hills up to rescue his career :biggrin:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Shadow Leader on 7:51 pm on July 18, 2006[br]I must have read a different article in the RP to the one that you read then Glenn – I didn’t see any mention in today’s Post that Guesty was implicated, or indeed had been hauled in by the HRA to answer questions.

Besides, Paul Beck hasn’t been Guesty’s main owner since around Christmas – I’m very surprised that one passed you by as you are such a despiser of Guesty! <br>

<br>Seconded – there is nothing in this one to suggest it spells any further investigation of, or going out of pocket for, the Brancepeth handler.

It was December 7th-8th that Beck removed 17 of his string from the yard. The most Beck / Guest runner was Gatorade’s farewell run in a Hexham selling hurdle in May, with a decision evidently still pending as to whether Sobers and Pass Me By are to remain under Guest’s care.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Glenn on 1:33 pm on July 18, 2006[br]First he sees Les Arcs win a group one for his new trainer. All Guesty could manage was a couple of Scottish handicaps – with the beast getting all the help he could get on both occasions.

<br>…and a Chester Class 3 handicap and a Wolverhampton handicap, too.

Guesty knew full well that Les Arcs would be better suited to a move to Bawtry, as the regime at Brancepeth was, and still is, very much geared towards the training of jumps horses.

At his Open Day exactly a year ago, the talk was that Bawtry – newly removed of all traces of Vicky Haigh by Willie McKay – was going to operate as a Flat-specific satellite yard for Guest, leaving him to train the jumpers up North as before.

Clearly with the interviewing and ultimate installing of Tim Pitt, things changed a little from that original plan.

I don’t know to what extent Guesty is part of the McKay / Pitt axis anymore – an interview in May indicated he thinks he’ll still get McKay Flat horses sent back up to him if they rate realistic jumping propositions, but how accurate that is will only become apparent in time.

gc<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 7:30 pm on July 20, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Apologies for missing that Wolver win off 70 that the great man squeezed out of a horse with the ability of a multiple group one champion.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Glenn on 8:32 pm on July 20, 2006[br]Apologies for missing that Wolver win off 70 that the great man squeezed out of a horse with the ability of a multiple group one champion.

<br>A tad faecetious, Glenn. The point remains that Les Arcs went as far as he could on the Flat in an environment all concerned knew was more conducive to training jumps horses. Four wins and £30k prizemoney whilst at Brancepeth was, in the circumstances, a reasonable return.

It should be noted also that John Gosden, who had him before Richard Guest and got one win out of him in three, campaigned Les Arcs over 10f as well. The horse gave every sign at home and on the track back then of being laid back enough to get – and excel at – such a trip.

It was reaffirmed in a recent John Egan interview that I read in the Sportsman the other day that Les Arcs was bought by Willie McKay for only 32,000gns knowing he had a hole in him that would require an operation (which he got a year later), but in the immediate term would do as well as he could do at 10-12f on the Flat before having his attentions turned to hurdling.

That Les Arcs has gone on to be a champion sprinter despite all previous indications about him to the contrary is no slight against the two trainers who handled him before; rather, it is one of two wonderfully leftfield stories of this Flat season – alongside Speciosa – that reminds us of the great unpredictability and magic of this sport.

gc

<br>(Edited by graysonscolumn at 8:50 pm on July 24, 2006)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 8:52 pm on July 24, 2006)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.