The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2024

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2024 Gold Cup 2024

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 370 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Mighty Potter 40/1

The horse did little wrong in terms of jumping and travelling he was just a little too far back in a race run not to suit him which was not his fault.
    Galopin Des Champs will be kept onside too. Put him in doubles with Sweden for Eurovision
    I don’t think Hendo will run Constitution Hill here, if he does watch Mighty Potter jump to 80’s.. :rose:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Harry Cobden sent Davy Russell back into retirement in the Turners, didn’t he?

Rode him to sleep.

Mighty Potter wants a strong pace at 2m4f, shapes as if he would be suited by further and if he ever actually learns to jump, could be a very good chaser.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Two runs at Cheltenham, two defeats.

Bookmakers love horses people keep making excuses for.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Cheltenham is a year away.
    He’s never lost outside of Cheltenham if that continues will the bookmakers hold firm at 40’s ?? They will go weak at the knees before he runs his first race next season if not when he runs again this season and drop the price and then half it again once he wins.
    Its a bet to nothing at that price

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Fair enough. I can see the appeal of a back to lay strategy.

Someone here described Mighty Potter as the new Beef Or Salmon. I think there might be something in that. It was not Davy Russell’s finest hour (neither was the festival as a whole). But there is something about Mighty Potter that does not convince me at the track. He looked like half the horse that won so well at Leopardstown.

If Galopin Des Champs gets over last Friday’s race, I cannot see anything beating him. But the “if” is important.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Galopin des Champs is already onside with me

I think it’s a bit harsh on Mighty Potter and the Cheltenham angle although you can’t rule it out.

The first year he had burnt himself out before the race and they went like the clappers in it. He was bust before the first hurdle. Mighty Potters fault

This year he was calm in the paddock and on the way to post. Russell wasn’t great and the pace was apparently slow. Turned into a sprint. A excellent horse wins whatever the pace so no excuse there but not the horses fault for me

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Gordon said he travelled over badly, same in the Supreme, and may not travel over again

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“Two runs at Cheltenham, two defeats.

Bookmakers love horses people keep making excuses for.”

This is fair comment, but it’s all about the price for me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

FF91… “may not” is the key words there
    If Mighty Potter improves and Gordon thinks he is a genuine Gold Cup contender he’ll be coming over. It was only last week Gordon was saying Cheltenham is the be all and end all and every thing revolves around it. If he disappoints in his races from now until next March fair enough
    It is a big negative if the horse doesn’t travel over well but do something different. Get a horse whisperer to sit next to him on the boat or come over a week or two earlier than normal.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

If he has travelling issues, maybe he is the reincarnation of Beef Or Salmon.

“Harry Cobden sent Davy Russell back into retirement in the Turners, didn’t he?”

It looks like it. Michael O’Leary made his point in typically crass and insensitive fashion but his fundamental point – that Russell should not have come out of retirement – was valid.

Elliot should have shown more faith in his young jockeys than in a crocked 43 year old. The ironic thing is Ewing ended up riding the stable’s runner in the most prestigious race of the week and gave the horse a very good ride.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I haven’t actually backed Mighty Potter for the 2024 Cheltenham Gold Cup, btw.

Galopin Des Champs looks a well above average winner of the race to me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Chezza,
    If Galopin Des Champs was a hob nob he’d be double coated, both sides chocolate and after you had finished eating him you wouldn’t get any of the hob nob bits left between your teeth such is his excellence.. :rose:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Chezza could eat a whole packet of Galopin Des Champs.

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

In my mind, unless something comes out of the pack between now and next March, Galopin Des Champs is the winner in 2024.

I don’t think the race will have left a mark on him. Once he got himself settled, he travelled very sweetly and did everything that was asked of him. Although his jumping could have been a bit cleaner, he was under no pressure to take it up and quickly stamped his authority on the race immediately after the last.

He should improve between now and March, after all, he’s not even seven years old yet. Hoping for Mighty Potter to beat him in the Gold Cup might be wishful thinking.

I think you oppose him at your peril.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Stick with GDC being the most likely winner (still improvement to come as well) until he gives you a reason (other than the race may have left its mark) not to – far too many if, buts and maybes with the potential opposition at this stage.

Re: Mighty Potter, just bear in mind who he beat at Leopardstown over 2m5F….Adamantly Chosen (who was a G3 winner but beaten prior by Gerri Colombe and was a distant 7th to The Real Whacker) and Gaillard Du Mesnil who we now know needs well in excess of 3m to be at his best.

Not convinced Mighty Potter would be suited by the Gold Cup trip either as while his half brother won over 2m7F, he has been beaten every time he has tried even 3m.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

It would have been nice of Elliot to tell punters that Potter didn’t travel over well …. I doubt he’ll be back , I’m struggling to find a young horse to back here , I love Whacker but he won’t stay , Gerri is Galvin/Stattler mk2 , wouldn’t amaze me to see the front 2 from this year at it again

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

I’d have to agree with you there HDLG, these two are the best on offer and Mighty Potter is clutching at straws with a lot of hope in the heart.

Even with Galopin Des Champs not being fluent over a couple in the latter part of the race, he always had Bravemansgame in his pocket and cruised up on the outside turning for home.

Townend didn’t ask him until they had jumped the last and then it was simply game, set and match then.

I really can’t see any reason why the latter could turn the result around, baring any mishaps. Both are likely to improve, it’s just that one is better than the other.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 370 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.