The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2023

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2023 Gold Cup 2023

Viewing 15 posts - 477 through 491 (of 491 total)
  • Author
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

Sorry Glad you are right 2020. Santini ran a fairly distant 4th in last year’s GN. I believe he’s retired from racing now.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Let’s simplify it , would you would make lots more money laying GC winners , I took on APT in the Betfair and I’ll take on GDC where ever he goes next … It pays well

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Looking at the finish, of the two to me BMG would appear to have visually had the harder race – GDC galloped all the way to the line whilst in the last half furlong BMG was absolutly treading water and I would be very wary of him if he ran again this year. I would guess that GDC’s only possible remaining target this season (although technically classed as part of next season) would be the Punchestown Gold Cup.

The GC being a race to finish horses is an argument that you can easily go both ways with as their is evidence to support both viewpoints, for every Might Bite (who was absolutely never the same again after his brutal GC) you can point to say a Burrough Hill Lad who after winning his GC then put up his career best run when winning the Hennessy under 12st, Dessie finished 3rd in 2 more Gold Cups but also won two more King George’s and a Irish National under 12st, See More Business went on to win a Charlie Hall, King George, Aon/Denman Chase and a BetFair Bowl after, Jodami finished 2nd in a following Gold Cup and won 2 more Irish Gold Cup, War of Attrition went on to win the Punchestown Gold Cup after, Imperial Call won the John Durkan, Savills & Punchestown Gold Cups.

My theory (backed up a little by the previous paragraph of horses that ran more often in the past) is that horses by and large these days are not battle tested enough going into races like the GC and as such it probably takes much more out of them now than it did for a lot of horses in the past, the first three home were all having just their 3rd race of the season and of all those who actually finished only Noble Yeats and Eldorado Allen (both on their 5th runs of the season) you could/would imagine them running again this season.

There is a strong possibility that most (if not all) of those that didn’t complete the course potentially will be running again as well so we will likely have plenty of evidence to show just what impact the race had going forward.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Might Bite did have a hard race in the Gold Cup. But it tends to be forgotten that he won the Betfair Bowl at Aintree quite impressively just three weeks later. It all went wrong the following season. It was good to see him looking well when show jumping at Aintree last autumn.

I mentioned it at the time and I put it out there again: was A Plus Tard given too hard a race in last year’s Gold Cup. I understand the adrenalin was pumping but did Rachael Blackmore really need to send him 15 lengths clear under a hard drive?

I hope Galopin Des Champs goes on to have a great career. I had my doubts but he looked like a superstar on Friday and the game needs them. But it was a hard race and I think it is wise to keep an open mind about him until his first start next season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I said the same regard A Plus Tard last year Corky..
    It was his 5th Cheltenham festival race on Friday and 21st run in total
    Next year will be Galopin’s 4th festival run but hes only run 13 times. Light campaigns will see him good for another 2 years at least and probably not even peaked yet

Blackbeard to conquer the World

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

CAS – fair comment.

Willie seems to be a creature of habit, Al Boum Photo followed the exact same route for his second Gold Cup so you would imagine GDC gets the same programme next season as he had this season.

Punchestown is an option but Al Boum Photo got beaten there after his first Gold Cup win and didn’t go there after his 2nd win so who knows if we will see GDC again before the John Durkan.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

I doubt we’ll see either of the first 2 again this season

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Agreed – BMG’s only real option is Aintree but I doubt even with the extra time this year that they would be inclined to go off the back of such a hard race especially considering he has been well turned over both times there by Ahoy Senor to the tune of 37L.

Charlie Hall/King George/Gold Cup you would have thought will be his programme although Nicholls on Luck On Sunday did mention the Betfair at Haydock if it was too quick at Wetherby…..not sure you would be wanting him to slog around Haydock in deep ground as a prep for Kempton though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3887

I don’t know about BMG, but i wouldn’t be surprised to see Galopin back out at Punchestown.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

It’ll depend on what Mullins sees at home , at 7 they’ll take no risks

Participant
    • Total Posts 3887

Of course, but at 7 they ran ABP after winning a GC. If he’s fine i don’t see them stopping.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Nicholls is always tempted to run ’em at Aintree, so I wouldn’t rule out a Bravemansgame appearance.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Nicholls has said bmg will get an entry for punchestown

Aintree too soon

I’d be surprised if GDC doesn’t run

Has the chance to emulate sizing John and win the Irish, Cheltenham and punchestown gold cups

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Any update on Monkfsh, I was under the impression that he was coming back for the 2nd half of the season and the Punchestown race would seem the most obvious assignment (assuming their is no 1st season out of novice company option) – could that also play into a decision as to whether GDC runs (especially given Allaho is out for the season)?

Sods law that after all this discusion, the first three home all actually turn up at Punchestown and we get a rematch with Envoi Allen thrown into the mix too!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Will they risk Monkfish on good ground ?

Viewing 15 posts - 477 through 491 (of 491 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.