The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2023

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2023 Gold Cup 2023

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 491 total)
  • Author
    Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Galopin Des Champs 13-2

• Total Posts 14971

Just relieved GDC is ok.

Stattler and L’Homme Presse for me at this stage, but I’ll let the dust settle first I think.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Some good horses on the scene potentially for next year.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Is Stattler classy enough ? , I’ll prob have a tickle on Monkfish until after tomorrow’s race

Istabraq
    Participant
    • Total Posts 469

Mullins was saying after the race he’d like to see gdc over 2 miles

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Mullins keeping his options open again, Istabraq.
    Probably be entered in the Grand National too.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I know what happened to GDC was unfortunate but he jumped several fences very big. Landing steeply must increase the risk of not getting the landing gear out in time and knuckling over. I would like to see him jump a little lower and more economically in future.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

Mullins could be right about the 2m option. He is still very young and full of speed. Shishkin looks out of his comfort zone in the early parts of a race, if it’s run at a proper Championship tempo. And why not having him and Energumene for the minimum trip.

It’s true that he was quite big at some of his fences and this surely cost him, like any other horse, the necessary energy to get the landing gear out late in the race. His is very novicey, imagine him still having his balls.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

Can’t believe GDC would go back in trip, unless it’s temporary. There is only one Gold Cup

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

GDC seems to be getting faster

Think this is a very unlikely destination for him, ryanair much more his bag for next year. He will still only be 7 by then after all. Willie was right, you cant jump with that enthusiasm and stay 3m2f.

Cant have Bob olinger at all he isn’t a natural jumper

Will Bravemansgame stay 3m2f? Doubtful

Ahoy senor has a huge chance IF he improves his jumping

Lhomme presse also has a huge chance

Then there’s monkfish to hopefully return

Some badly needed new blood in a weak staying division

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I thought Mullins would go a Gold Cup route with Faugheen but he was proved right going back in trip with that one.
    Galopin des Champs looks tailored made for a Gold Cup. I get the jumping big issue but he has such a wonderful blend of speed and being relentless in the gallop would think the Gold Cup would be his for the taking.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

I think Ryanair for GDC. I don’t think any horse can do that riveting, attacking, gasps-from-the-crowd jumping round 3m2f. It is spectacular to watch and one of the joys of NH racing, but I didn’t think any horse has won a GC jumping like that and I think it would spoil the fun to hook him back and cramp his style. 2-2.5 and let rip!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Hes allaho 2.0 in my eyes

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

If he can settle a bit more, the KG should be considered. Vautour almost won one for them, why not GDC?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

To my eyes GDC jumped the early fences big but most were measured just right. Even the last fence was a good jump, just knuckled on landing.

Seemed to settle ok to me. Just made sense to make it a test of stamina at the trip as he was proven over further and his main (only) rival’s asset was speed. Talk about 2m is nonsense. Bob Olinger was travelling best for two thirds of the race.

Mullins is less confident about the Gold Cup because he has not had as many top staying chasers.

Of course GDC is fully effective at the intermediate trip, but stays at least 3m and Mullins has other top class horses for the Champion and Ryanair anyway. Doesn’t have much for the Gold Cup (yet). So unless early next year a stable companion makes a better claim for the Gold Cup… And / or unless something happens to Allaho and other Ryanair prospects – the Blue Riband is imo the obvious target.

Value Is Everything
    Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Free bet. Cash out. Wd winners.

BUY THE SUN

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

It’s a process of elimination really predicting the target. Mullins has champions in the 2 and 2 and a half race divisions who are young enough to come back and try to win another one, and nothing worthwhile for the Gold Cup.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 491 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.