Gold Cup 2017

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2017 Gold Cup 2017

Viewing 7 posts - 541 through 547 (of 547 total)
  • Author
    Jaymo74
    Participant
    • Total Posts 233

Well done to Sizing John supporters and a great win for Jessica Harrington.
    Followed BDM to the bitter end and disappointed with his jumping throughout but at least he finished and all horses came back safe and well.

Looking at the results over the last 4 days and especially the Thursday and Friday can anyone put their hand up and say that they made a profit on the meeting overall and how did this year’s Festival compare to last in that respect.
    Jac

Friday was my saving grace. Had a pony e/w on Champagne Classic @25s and 40 e/w on Rock the world @10s Plus e/w returns on Bapaume and Winter Escape. Still massively down on the week as a whole. Over a grands worth of A/P bets that either didn’t turn up or had no return. Days 2 and 3 we’re financial wipe outs. Tiger Roll @16s saw me levels for Tuesday. I’ll be givin Aintree some stick then thats it then till October – i’ll leave the flat to the flat experts.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8770

Well done with those big prices Jaymo it’s the Ante Post non runners that seem to soak up the cash and I don’t touch them at all so end up with skinny odds on the day of the race but didn’t lose much with average one winner a day the best being Willoughby Court followed by Nichols Canyon two great races but I backed Whisper who just got hauled back by Might Bight but can’t deny that was an amazing race.
    Worst moments Nicky Henderson losing Consul De Thaix in the first race of the meeting and seeing Cue Card go down but then hearing he was up and OK. :yahoo:

My nerves can’t take anymore think I’ll get some hot cocoa and a hotty botty and hibernate until the Craven Meeting. ;-)
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8770

I think I broke even but had a helluvalotoffun doing so!#notgivingupthedayjob

Here here Moe..have to save up for next year now. B-)

The one that got away for me…
    ARCTIC FIRE … How on earth did he go off at 20/1 :scratch: ;-)

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7729

Thankfully I couldn’t not back him; he’s such a favourite of mine. Although I also backed another horse called Arctic something or other by mistake the day before as well. Tiger Roll is one that I’m really annoyed with myself about, and Domesday Book that raymo tipped. I have fond memories of being in a bookies in Nottingham, backing Arctic Fire ante post for the Champion Hurdle the following year, watching him win his race in Ireland and seeing his price shrink. I allow myself to have loads of bets with my Coral account, because, in the past it cost me a couple of pounds in petrol just to go to the bookies each day. There was an amazing punt on that Champagne horse today which, thankfully I saw on oddschecker and was able to throw some pennies at it [but then didn’t have the courage to listen to the race]….

AndyRACAndyRAC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 318

Prior to the race, I envisaged a strong gallop, with Native River taking it up on the 2nd circuit and grinding it out – with most of the others dropping away one by one. However, it did’t happen; as there were still plenty of horses with a chance running downhill. (as confirmed this morning on ITV by Noel Fehily).

Djakadam seemed to be going too well if anything, and his mistake cost him 2nd place. I think Sizing john is a pretty decent winner; campaigned at 2m, then 2m4f, and won the Irish Gold Cup over 3m. Seems to have it all for a staying chaser; speed, stamina, good jumper.

Native River and Minella Rocco seemed to confirm last years 4m form; and maybe with proper soft ground could have been closer??

milbear0milbear0
    Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Terrific performance from Sizing John, corroborating the sub lieu formline well. Perfect decision in the end from connections as he surely would have won the CC or Ryanair too had he contested them. Softer ground would have likely brought others into the reckoning though and I wouldn’t fancy him to repeat the feat next year. At this time I would say might bite is in line for the throne, I wouldn’t fancy Yorkhill at all for this (see ryanair for that one) and I have my doubts about Douvan now transitioning his best form to Cheltenham next year. Melon may well make up to being a champion hurdle horse next year though.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16185

I’ll do my usual “mini-book” on this, and have already started, though the 3 horses I really liked at the end of last season, remain my strongest fancies.

Lion, I’m with you on Native River, and after what I seen from him last year, not to mention that run at Aintree, then the 33’s looks very generous indeed, and I’ve had a go. Not sure why I didn’t bet him on The Exchange at slightly bigger odds (he’s still bigger tonight), but to be honest, 33’s ew will do me fine.

If I like Native River, then I must give a chance to Minella Rocco, who defeated him at The Festival. I just loved every minute of watching his “progress” last season, and after suddenly finding his form in The Reynoldstown, it was all systems for The 4 Miler, and he was one of the highlights of the week for me, and I roared him home. There’s every chance that his season will be geared around Aintree (and potentially Chepstow en-route to there), but I really don’t think he’d be a back number in this, and he’s worth a go at 40’s.

I’m not a fan of digging up posts like this, but since they didn’t win, I think it’s ok to do so.

Seems like yesterday I put that up, these winters really fly in on here discussing Cheltenham…….

Just about getting over it now, so close and yet so far. That “mini book” went like clockwork, it really did, but as much as the place money was fab for this pair, the win would have been much sweeter, they both did me proud.

Very good winner though, and one to take on the chin.

Viewing 7 posts - 541 through 547 (of 547 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.