Gold Cup 2017

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2017 Gold Cup 2017

This topic contains 546 replies, has 77 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 547 total)
  • Author
    DBRDBR
    DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 319

Gutted.

Cue Card wasn’t jumping at all in comparison to Ascot. Also moneywise very unlucky as I had Minella Rocco, Native River and Djakadam at high prices earlier this year.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5707

Congratulations to Sizing John backers. The irony that it’s one Potts horse that didn’t go to Tizzard won’t be lost on some, least of all me!

Interesting that native River and Minella ran so close to their form last year.

Maybe Djakadam will be given his chance to win at Cheltenham with a Ryanair entry next year.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Sizing John was selected by quite a few so well done to his supporters. Unfortunately, I just didn’t think he’d see it out. I was firmly in the Native River camp and think Johnson should have kicked on and played catch me if you can rather than wait to be joined and get done in a sprint to the line as it turned out.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26322

Ginge
    Going was too quick for Cue Card……… :bye:

Horses change, Nathan.
    As I said before the race, there was a question mark. Cue Card’s early days were full of top class Good ground performances. However, just lately has disappointed on it. Travelling reasonably well three out last year in similar conditions – where some thought he would’ve won – but I now feel it was too far out to know where he’d have finished. Possible Wouldn’t have found much on that surface. So yes, you might have been right. Only might, mind. Just as likely (or more so) today’s run could easily be put down to the Tizzard virus. Unlike many, I don’t have a definite opinion about most things, it’s all percentages with me. ;-)

value is everything
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Sizing John was selected by quite a few so well done to his supporters. Unfortunately, I just didn’t think he’d see it out. I was firmly in the Native River camp and think Johnson should have kicked on and played catch me if you can rather than wait to be joined and get done in a sprint to the line as it turned out.

I thought a couple of sticky jumps stopped any notion of kicking on from a long way out. The horse idles in front as well and they purposely didn’t go too soon with him last time. I thought he rallied well to chase Djakadam and head him again after one sticky jump but the next time it happened he didn’t quite respond in the same way. He was game enough and just lost 2nd place in the end. I was on at 33/1 but win only, so no half cigar for me. Not even a two strand roll up :cry:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Himself
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3775

I was hoping Richard Johnson would try and kick on earlier in an effort to get the speed horses out of their comfort zone , but it seemed as if Native River was going as fast as he could and just lacks toe .

Well done to Sizing John and those who backed it . As a sidenote : it makes Douvan’s defeat the other day all the harder to take as on the seven previous occasions Jessie Harrington’s horse has met Mullins’ star chaser , it has been left floundering behind the big horse each time .

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I was hoping Richard Johnson would try and kick on earlier in an effort to get the speed horses out of their comfort zone , but it seemed as if Native River was going as fast as he could and just lacks toe .

Well done to Sizing John and those who backed it . As a sidenote : it makes Douvan’s defeat the other day all the harder to take as on the seven previous occasions Jessie Harrington’s horse has met Mullins’ star chaser , it has been left floundering behind the big horse each time .

Douvan had a stress fracture to his pelvis. I am not sure how much difference that would make but he never ran to his form in any case. Hopefully he can bounce back.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7694

Didn’t Cue Card have a similar problem a few years back [along with his breathing problems?]. [yes; 2014/15 season]

Fantastic Fair Along
    Participant
    • Total Posts 56

Well done to all SJ backers. Truly thought he wouldn’t stay the trip on his Irish Gold Cup showing but was certainly proven wrong. Just shows what a machine Douvan is too and hopefully he can bounce back from his injury.
    Glad to see Cue Card get up from a nasty falls as well. Was never able to get into the position he wanted and never traveled as smoothly as he can. Often see him change gear and move up a few places mid-race but he could t do it and was always held ina6th or 7th. Maybe it was the ground but maybe it was time catching up with him.
    As for Native River, I think it would be interesting to see him just do a little less early on if he gets back to have another go. They definitely went a good pace early on I think.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5707

I don’t think Johnson could have gone any quicker: ground probably went against him

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

IBRacing
    IBRacing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I’m sick of reading / hearing how it is good ground at Cheltenham. It’s good to soft no quicker and was soft earlier in the week. Check the winning times. Only two have sneaked on to barely standard the Champion Hurdle and the Gold Cup.

It isn’t and never has been good ground all week.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8617

Well done to Sizing John supporters and a great win for Jessica Harrington.
    Followed BDM to the bitter end and disappointed with his jumping throughout but at least he finished and all horses came back safe and well.

Looking at the results over the last 4 days and especially the Thursday and Friday can anyone put their hand up and say that they made a profit on the meeting overall and how did this year’s Festival compare to last in that respect.
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7694

I think I broke even but had a helluvalotoffun doing so!#notgivingupthedayjob

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Are you on twitter Moehat with your #hashtags you’d be trending…… :yes:

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4510

After four days of fun and enjoyment and admiration for courage and athleticism of both jockeys and horses I have lost the princely sum of £46 !!

I consider that great value for money for four days entertainment!!

And I have had soooooo many what if’s but then so have many others.

:good: :good:

Viewing 15 posts - 526 through 540 (of 547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.