The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics Gold Cup 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Grand Crus out to 25/1 for this!!! Madness.

Although still waiting to see whether they actually run him in this or the World Hurdle.

25/1 with Tote/Betfred who are NRNB for the Gold Cup.
    Decent value I reckon as he travelled well for a long way at Kempton on bad ground & only a cpl of weeks after his wind operation. Still inconclusive whether he’ll stay the trip, but 25/1 NRNB is worth a chance.

BHison
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 48

Grand Crus out to 25/1 for this!!! Madness.

Although still waiting to see whether they actually run him in this or the World Hurdle.

25/1 with Tote/Betfred who are NRNB for the Gold Cup.
    Decent value I reckon as he travelled well for a long way at Kempton on bad ground & only a cpl of weeks after his wind operation. Still inconclusive whether he’ll stay the trip, but 25/1 NRNB is worth a chance.

Couldn’t agree more about the Kempton run on Boxing day, I think the way he ran in the 2011 World Hurdle while chasing Big Bucks the whole way is enough for me to think he has a good chance of staying the trip. And like you said, even if he doesn’t – 25/1 is good enough to take the chance on.

Are there any indications as to which race they’ll put him in though?

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Bobs Worth now heads straight to the Gold Cup without a prep after being found to be ‘not quite right’ during a routine check up. Having my money down on First Lieutenant I must admit that for purely selfish reasons I’m happy with that. Interrupted prep can’t be good for those in the favourite’s camp.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Bobs Worth now heads to the Gold Cup without a prep after being found to be ‘not quite right’ during a routine check up. Having my money down on First Lieutenant I must admit for purely selfish reasons I’m happy with that. Interrupted prep can’t be good for those in the favourite’s camp.

My doubts about Henderson keeping horses sound are coming home to roost :(

BHison
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 48

Was just looking through the odds again and thought 3/1 for Bobs Worth was pretty short, after reading your post Boz I definitely won’t be touching him, Tidal Bay tempts me at I think 14/1 and of course FL is looking good, I just think they may put him in the Ryanair.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

If it is ‘just a little something’ such as the equine cold, the i wouldnt be too worried if his homework isnt unduly held up, as don’t forget, he won the Hennessy first time up comfortably.

However, it wouldnt surprise me if Henderson has had a look at the course and seen it’s too testing and that may leave it’s mark unduly.

Bhison – why would you fancy TB over BW now, given TB could be lame?

BHison
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 48

To be honest I think it’s just me looking at the odds and getting greedy and thinking he may pull out a huge race after being whipped all the way from the 1mile marker to the finish lol.

Off to work now but will be back on in a bit and look through the card again, I still sort of like Long Run e/w though as I don’t think there are 3 horses in the race that will finish ahead of him. maybe 1 or 2 but surely not 3!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Bobs Worth now heads straight to the Gold Cup without a prep after being found to be ‘not quite right’ during a routine check up. Having my money down on First Lieutenant I must admit that for purely selfish reasons I’m happy with that. Interrupted prep can’t be good for those in the favourite’s camp.

Didn’t harm him last season

And lol at the comment about Henderson not keeping his horses sound. How many trainers win a race at Royal Ascot with a 12 year old ?

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Odd comment :? Last season Bobs Worth had his second run of the season on Boxing Day and then his final prep in February. This time around he’ll be heading straight to the festival having not run since December 1st. I’m a big believer that, as a rule, a horse needs a decent run from Christmas onwards in order to challenge in March. It could well prove to be to his detriment in my humble opinion.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Odd comment :? Last season Bobs Worth had his second run of the season on Boxing Day and then his final prep in February. This time around he’ll be heading straight to the festival having not run since December 1st. I’m a big believer that, as a rule, a horse needs a decent run from Christmas onwards in order to challenge in March. It could well prove to be to his detriment in my humble opinion.

Henderson thought he wouldn’t run. He was off his game over Christmas and Henderson was never happy with him until the morning of the race.

Synchronised – runs at Christmas, no run until the festival – wins
    Imperial Commander – smashed on Boxing Day and doesn’t run until the festival – wins.
    Kauto Star – wins the King George and doesn’t run until the festival – wins
    War Of Attrition – runs at Christmas but no further run before winning the Gold Cup
    King King – the same
    Best Mate – three times GC winner without a prior race in that calendar year

So most of the Gold Cups won in the last decade by horses without a run before the festival.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Imperial Commander – smashed on Boxing Day and doesn’t run until the festival – wins.
    War Of Attrition – runs at Christmas but no further run before winning the Gold Cup
    King King – the same

So most of the Gold Cups won in the last decade by horses without a run before the festival.

From Christmas onwards

. King George or Lexus runs lie within that bracket.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Boz/Mark, both of your arguments hold water.

I’m on Bobsworth big. I know for sure i’d rest easier if he had run between 2 Dec and Cheltenham but it’s not to be.

As i said earlier, getting him ready to win first time up in the Hennessy proves he is a horse that goes well fresh and the comment post Kempton last season is valid too – he was a sick horse going nowhere, so to come back to win the RSA was no mean feat.

There’s always the chance as i said above that a hard run in a quagmire on saturday could also have been to his detriment.

We shall find out on 15th March either way (assuming Henderson gets him there!).

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

True enough Shack, I certainly wouldn’t rule him out completely. I am resting a little happier being against him though, knowing he’s going straight there.

BHison
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 48

After thinking about it there’s too many questions for me in this race, will probably only throw some pocket change on it. No point betting big just because it’s a big race.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

After thinking about it there’s too many questions for me in this race, will probably only throw some pocket change on it. No point betting big just because it’s a big race.

In all honesty Ben, aside from 3 races I think the whole festival looks like that this year. Won’t stop me though :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

King King – the same

From Christmas onwards

. King George or Lexus runs lie within that bracket.

Hmmmmmmm. Those one or two days are the key.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Okay, think I’ve decided on this one. Really was hoping for a bit of decent ground at christmas as would really liked to see Riverside Theatre have another crack at 3 miles on good ground, convinced it would bring some improvement out of him the way he runs his races. Having said that I still think the Ryanair form from last year will be key this year.
    Not too keen on any of the four who battled out the finish in the Lexus this year as they all finished too close together to really take any one of them out the race. They’re either all Gold Cup winning class or the form isn’t that strong, I think the latter will be the case this year (3 decent Ryanair candidates outstayed by the only real proven stayer in the race, Tidal Bay).
    That race only confirmed my thoughts about the proximity of Bobs Worth in relation to Tidal Bay in the Hennessey where BW recieved nearly half a stone, good form but 3/1??? Like I said before I might be tempted if he was a sensible price given his impressive Cheltenham form.
    So the one I’ll pin my hopes on at the odds will be

Captain Chris

. Badly outpaced in the Ryanair last year before staying on stoutly up the hill to claim 4th was decent considering how his season went prior to the festival. This year looks to going a lot better for him and his excellant 2nd to Long Run in the King George again outlined the need for a proper test of stamina. A lot was made in hindsight of the King George that Long Run was the only runner in the race to have the conditions to suit and yet CC got to within a neck.
    We know from the previous 2 festivals that the Captain relishes that Cheltenham hill, stamina we now know shouldn’t be a problem and being an Arkle winner, neither should speed. The only issue is that tendency to sometimes jump right-handed. However, it didnt stop him winning the Arkle and imo it’s not as big a question mark as most of the other entries have to answer.

20/1

looks a good a bet as anything me thinks.

Now just the matter of sorting out all the other races.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.