The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics Gold Cup 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Long run still a contender, if they swallow their pride and let BG ride him

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I’d make Al Ferof my favourite at the moment, but it’s shaping up the best and most competitive GC for years; S Conti, Sir Des Champs, Flemenstar, Last Instalment, Bobsworth, First lieutenant, Hidden Cyclone a live outsider.

Nicholls said a year too early for Al Ferof (not to say he won’t change his mind)

• Total Posts 2440

Would he get off Bobs Worth, if given the opportunity? I think he would ride Bobs Worth.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Would he get off Bobs Worth, if given the opportunity? I think he would ride Bobs Worth.

I think this ‘SWC is the problem’ argument holds little, if any, water. Of course a top pro might get a pound or two more out of him but not enough to suddenly make him a world beater.

Like Master Minded, LR was lionised for a visually taking Festival win against a worn out KS and Denman (JT fav Imp Commander pulled up lame/bleeding)and ended up over-rated by 7 to 10lbs.

He cannot jump properly and probably never will (Yogi Breisner spent a long time with him to no obvious effect).

What we saw yesterday is about as good as he is imo. Since his GC win he’s contested 4 Grade 1s and been beaten in all of them.

The way to make money from him is laying.

ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

We can never write-off Long Run as he has been nothing if not consistent and Sam Waley Cohen has done his level best on him and won the 2011 Gold Cup fair and square,yet I can understand why many may feel that jockeys such as AP McCoy and Barry Geraghty might get more out of the horse.

Next year’s Gold Cup still remains a puzzle and any of about 7 or 8 horses could win it..the next 3 months should be very interesting in the build-up to it,with Ireland having their best chance for 7 years.

One thing is certain…the winner is unlikely to prove to be anywhere near as good as the 1963 winner was !

ArkleSupreme
    • Total Posts 62

Mill House,obviously,50 years ago by the time 2013 arrives !

Did you see that race too ?

His trainer,Fulke Walwyn,who had also been associated with the great Golden Miller,fully expected him to reciprocate his achievements and win the next four Gold Cups also,stating that Mill House was the best chaser ever seen !

Those of us there know what happened next..don’t we ?

:D

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Bobs Worth should be nearer 3/1 for the Gold Cup after his Newbury win and is a great bet at 5s imo.

Two festival wins already, the Hennessy was only his 5th race over fences, jumps, stays, has gears and class – fine looker too. Get on at 5s

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Bar the mistake at the last, great round for Sir Des Champs. Still him and Bobs Worth for me, will be fighting out next years finish.

Very happy with the 6s and 8s on both.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

What an awesome race we have to look forward to, just hope they all get there, wonder who Mr Henderson would fancy if pushed :-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Do you think Riverside Theatre will stay the trip Andrew? Must admit, I’d have serious doubts at this stage.

Good ground and he’d have a chance, as he’s bred like Kicking King.

However, there are a few other obstacles, one being that Geraghty will ride Bobs Worth. If Riverside performs well in the King George, then maybe AP might ride. Can’t see a JP horse being capable this year

I think it will be SDC and Bobs Worth up the hill.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Do you think Riverside Theatre will stay the trip Andrew? Must admit, I’d have serious doubts at this stage.

However, there are a few other obstacles, one being that Geraghty will ride Bobs Worth. If Riverside performs well in the King George, then maybe AP might ride. Can’t see a JP horse being capable this year

It is indeed a long shot Riverside Theatre lining up in the Gold Cup but with Long Run maybe already having peaked and RT possibly still on the upgrade, it’s quite possible Nicky Henderson could be presented with a bit of a headache if the King George placings of 2 years ago are reversed. In the eventuality of that happenning, would Mr Nesbit not want a crack at the Gold Cup?
    The Gold Cup does look one of the most difficult to work out at the moment and it’s very easy to look at early season form and get carried away with the likes of Bobs Worth and Silviniaco Conti (as good as they obviously are). Last year all the talk was about Kauto and Long Run, I didnt hear many talk up Synchronised before he won the Lexus (apologies for those who did).
    The xmas period will tell us a hell of a lot this year as far as this race goes, more so than last year I believe.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

The xmas period will tell us a hell of a lot this year as far as this race goes, more so than last year I believe.

I agree. I don’t want to get involved with the Gold Cup ante-post as it seems like the picture changes every few weeks. With the likes of Riverside Theatre being a little fragile and Sir Des Champs/Flemenstar still fairly unknown quantities, I think it would be foolish to go out on a limb so early. I want to see Al Ferof jump around Kempton safely before I trust him, too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

If Cue Card didn’t have such a keen racing style, I’d consider him excellent value at 33. His form looks rock solid and was boosted again by Bobs Worth.

He has a fine chance of winning the KG imo and if he does so convincingly he could well hit a single figure price for the GC.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

In my humble opinion, I think it might be a year or 2 too early for Cue Card at this trip.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

It is indeed a long shot Riverside Theatre lining up in the Gold Cup but with Long Run maybe already having peaked and RT possibly still on the upgrade, it’s quite possible Nicky Henderson could be presented with a bit of a headache if the King George placings of 2 years ago are reversed. In the eventuality of that happenning, would Mr Nesbit not want a crack at the Gold Cup?
    The Gold Cup does look one of the most difficult to work out at the moment and it’s very easy to look at early season form and get carried away with the likes of Bobs Worth and Silviniaco Conti (as good as they obviously are). Last year all the talk was about Kauto and Long Run, I didnt hear many talk up Synchronised before he won the Lexus (apologies for those who did).

Assuming fitness :

Long Run, Bobs Worth, Burton Port will run
    Riverside and Finians might.

Honestly think last years renewal was a poor race

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Connections have understandably seemed pretty bullish regarding a big run from Al Ferof in the King George, and though my money has been lying with the other grey Grands Crus since before the Paddy Power, I’ve have to say he does have a huge chance in what looks a red hot renewal.

Now, taking into consideration just how hot a race we have on our hands on Boxing Day, if he were to deliver and bring it back to Ditcheat, despite already being quoted as saying the Gold Cup isn’t on Al Ferof’s agenda this term, could or would the champion trainer really swerve the ultimate glory?

Now I don’t want to get bogged down in the whole ‘3 miles around Kempton isn’t as hard as the Gold Cup trip’ argument, but given the undoubted quality of the King George field this year, I’d have to say it’d have to be taken into serious consideration by trainer and owner alike. Anyone who fancies Al Ferof in a fortnights time might want to think about the

20/1

on offer for the Gold Cup.

Just a thought :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

I agree, Al Ferof has outstanding credentials; winner of a competitive handicap under top weight over the course, sure to improve. 20-1 great value; when he wins KG, this will shrink

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.