The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Goal celebrations

Home Forums General Sports Goal celebrations

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

The Manchester derby was a classic. But how much of a D**k did Bellamy look with his arrogant celebration in front of the MU fans. Rub it in… I don’t think so. Made me laugh as I support Chelsea :D Who will probably do the same thing before long!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

A d*ck he may have looked – his first goal was an absolute peach though, so he may have been entitled to make himself look like a d*ck – but that’s nothing compared to the p*ssy that is Martin Atkinson. Has there ever been a more blatant act of United-based favouritism?

After the match, the fourth official (might have been Phil Dowd, I can’t remember) said that the additional (additional) three minutes were as a result of Bellamy’s second celebration. The fact that that celebration lasted a mere 55 seconds aside, why was only 16 seconds added on following Owen’s lap of honour around Manchester?

It’s always easier to win with 12 men.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Too many referees seem unwilling to end a match when an attacking move is in play; they seem to prefer blowing time when the ball is in the middle of the pitch, or when teams seem to be fannying about aimlessly. Maybe that isn’t really so, but it’s a perception I get.
    What would Ferguson have said if the ref. had blown time just before Owen struck the ball into the net?
    Time for an independent "added-time" ref with a big klaxon to call time perhaps.
    (As a neutral but England fan, a great game and good to see Michael Owen showing he’s still got it )

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I think the time added on was excessive – but from a neutral’s point of view, and totaly selfish point of view, thank god – it sealed a winning fixed odds coupon for me.

That said, I thought Manchester City played well but, as often the case, teams who cannot prevent a goal ( Hearts for example :lol: ) from being scored with seconds remaining, deserve all they get.

The ref and Michael Owen ( once hated figure of Man Utd fans… oh the irony and hypocrisy :roll: ) handed Rio Ferdinand a huge get out of jail card. His lethargic pass which allowed a detemined and faster Bellamy to take full advantage was woeful from such an experienced international player.

Man Utd still good but not as effective without their talisman, Ronaldo. Man City, still need improvement.

Conclusion : Chelsea to win the league, no problem ! :wink:

Chelsea to win the league – no problem

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

And wasn’t it Phil Dowd who blew for half time when Carlton Cole was five yards short of an empty goal and certain to score?

Hmmmm.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

After the match, the fourth official (might have been Phil Dowd, I can’t remember) said that the additional (additional) three minutes were as a result of Bellamy’s second celebration. The fact that that celebration lasted a mere 55 seconds aside, why was only 16 seconds added on following Owen’s lap of honour around Manchester?

It’s always easier to win with 12 men.

I think the fourth official was Alan Wiley who seemed to be the thirteenth man.
    He was captured on camera laughing and joking with Ferguson and ignoring a livid Hughes.

Impartial?

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Not just the goal celebration to take into account but also a substition fro which they generally allow 30 secs so teh ref was only a second or two out.

I’m up for the klaxon idea. Saves the ref another task and, let’s face it, they have enough to worry about. Doesn’t it work perfectly well in Rugby League?

I can imagine feelings running high but you can’t really blame the ref on this ocasion and talk of a conspiracy is risible.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Along with the 1000’s of other injustices that have at Old Trafford over the years, It’s fair to say that something definitely happens to refs and officials once inside the theatre of robbery.

I’ve tried very hard to be objective on the subject but keep being let down time and time again, season after season. The truth is, nobody wants to be in charge of a Man Utd defeat at Old Trafford – it’s as simple as that, and quite understandable, but NOT the way to referee a game of football.

Sir Alex can be greatful to the officials for their win vs City, but the spotlight will be well and truly on the performances of the men in charge next time, so expect a furious red-faced Fergie standing on the touch line in the event of a game at Old Trafford getting officiated correctly and impartially – I wont be holding my breath though. It’s been going on for so long they’ve become accustomed to it.

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

All entertaining reading but the point I was really making was not so much the added time debate just a simple case of player trying to rub the other team’s supporters up with the ‘Look, I equalized and got us a point, you must be gutted, look at me!!!’ Well no you didn’t get your tem a point cos the other team scored. It just makes me laugh. Celebrate after the final whistle :D

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

All entertaining reading but the point I was really making was not so much the added time debate just a simple case of player trying to rub the other team’s supporters up with the ‘Look, I equalized and got us a point, you must be gutted, look at me!!!’ Well no you didn’t get your tem a point cos the other team scored. It just makes me laugh. Celebrate after the final whistle :D

I don’t quite understand your point though, crizzy.

All teams celebrate potentially defining moments, like goals – more so when they happen at the death, for obvious reasons. Looking like a prize twat in the event of your opponents having the last word in the dying seconds would have to be the furthest thing from a players mind, I would imagine.

It

would

,however, be an added spectacle if they could manage to bottle up their emotions during a game, only to release them at the sound of the final whistle in the form of a conga or synchronized suicide….in the event of a Man Utd loss :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Or by tw*tting an errant United fan – it’s just a shame the guy hadn’t shunned a seven-iron wielding Bellamy’s karaoke invitation :D

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Or by tw*tting an errant United fan – it’s just a shame the guy hadn’t shunned a seven-iron wielding Bellamy’s karaoke invitation :D

I wasn’t aware until just a few hours ago, that the knob who invaded the pitch clearly spat all over Bellamy – it’s on youtube. I can’t remember the tabloids reporting this unless I’ve missed something.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Obviously Fergie has the referee’s bank details….

Seriously, though, the added added time was a joke – and it does seem to always happen at Old Trafford.

Maybe the claxon idea is a good one, although, paradoxically, it may take some of the drama away from the capriciousness of the ref’s whistle.

Zip

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I think Match of the Day 2 summed it up clearly on Sunday night:-

There was 4 minutes of added on time. Then, DURING THIS 4 MINUTES, Bellamy scored and 55 seconds passed of celebration time AND A SUBSTITUTION WAS MADE adding 30 secs of time. Therefore referee was entitled to add 1 minute and 25 seconds to the 4 minutes making total injury time of 5 minutes 24 seconds. Apparently Owen scored in 95 mins 25 seconds, just one second over the added on added time. You cant really argue that United got a huge helping hand from the referee based on these facts.

If I was Mark Hughes (or a city fan) I’d have been more concerned at my teams inability to defend via ball retention. If you watch the run up to the United winner City had plenty of opportunities to get a hold of the ball and retain possession but they choose to revert to British type and punt the ball clear (badly) at every opportunity. For that, they got what they deserved.

The reason the bigger sides "seem" to get helping hands from the referee is the same the world over…they tend to be on the attack more and therefore have more chance of getting the late winner, the dodgy penalty or the marginally beyond injury time winner. Man Utd and Chelsea in England, Rangers and Celtic in Scotland, Real Madrid and Barca in Spain. They all benefit in this way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.