The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gingers Flat Winners

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Gingers Flat Winners

Viewing 17 posts - 2,262 through 2,278 (of 2,647 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 614

Would you say Brown Panther is reasonable at 10s for the GC ? i’d say it’s not bad myself. Some in there are more ground dependant, and shorter priced. I’ll back him anyway, and probably Astaire for the 6f race at Ascot at 25/1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Ascot Gold Cup
    24 points @ 33/1 (Sky) Tiger Cliff* (min 20/1)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Ascot Gold Cup

Gone with Sky as soon as I placed the bet, but still there with Stan James.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Ascot Gold Cup

27 points @ 12/1 (C) Altano* (min 11/1)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Would you say Brown Panther is reasonable at 10s for the GC ? i’d say it’s not bad myself. Some in there are more ground dependant, and shorter priced. I’ll back him anyway, and probably Astaire for the 6f race at Ascot at 25/1.

There are six horses I like for the Ascot Gold Cup LW, of which

Brown Panther

is certainly one. As you rightly say there’s no ground worries. I backed him to win the Goodwood Cup last year and did it well, should stay the extra half mile. The one negative I have is he’s not quite good enough to win an average renewal yet and is there enough improvement to come?

The others are:

The two favs

Tac De Boistron

and Leading Light… Former is my idea of the best stayer in Europe, but is possibly more ground dependent than most. Could very easily see him going off less than half his current odds if it came up good or softer. But how likely is that? On a firm surface probably be around his current price on the day.

Leading Light

is a leading light for the Cup, could yet improve on the St Leger run given a severe test of stamina and has Royal Ascot winning form. Hardly value at 4’s. I do really like stable companion

Eye Of The Storm

, placed in the Stayers race on British Champions day as a 3yo. But is he going to take on the other Ballydoyle horse? Hoping to see him entered up in something before I think about getting involved. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him packed away for Melbourne.

The German horse

Altano

has a great chance and 12/1 looks good value. At the time – a career best when 3 3/4 lengths 5th in the race last year, coming from further back than those that beat him. Again given too much to do in Goodwod Cup before everything falling in to place in French Gold Cup, beating Tac De Boistron by 2 1/2 lengths. Goes on any ground and showed wellbeing by easily winning on reappearance in Germany.

I see

Tiger Cliff

is said by Alan King on his website to need give in the ground. Whenever a trainer says such a thing you’ve got to think there’s a chance of not turning up at Royal Ascot. But it’s actually nonsense. True he won the Ebor on soft, but beforehand people were worried needed a sound surface. Previous two starts were also at the time career bests (highly progressive). Had won at Newmarket on good-firm before Tiger Cliff did amazingly well to come from so far back in Ascot Stakes Handicap over this course and distance off slow fractions. The winner in all but name. Other race times on the day suggest it was firmer than the official "Good". Only a neck and 1/2 length 3rd to Gospel Choir in the best quality Yorkshire Cup we’ve seen for years. Was getting 4 lbs from the 2nd Tac De Boistron, but as said Tiger Cliff has a profile of almost constant progression. It surprised me he was quick enough to get in the first three and can do even better over an exaggerated trip. 33/1 is massive.

I’ve backed the last two winners (and 2nds) of the Ascot Gold Cup ante-post. Fingers crossed for the treble.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

4:05 Navan
    62 points @ 7/4 (C) Pale Mimosa* (min 7/4)

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 614

I wrote my reply last night/early hours, but didn’t hit the send button because i didn’t place the bet first, so i saved what i typed.

Your views on Tiger Cliff are interesting. I thought about asking you about him the other day, but i was slightly put off by the trainers comments with regards to ground preference. He certainly ticks a few boxes, and i much prefer him at the prices to Eye of the storm, because rightly or wrongly, i see this as a race where O’brien would only have one prepped for, and that’s the short priced Leading Light, who gives 8lbs to a potential gold cup horse in pale mimosa at Navan tomorrow, who to me should win, and go to Ascot with a chance. I like Welds horse, and before she ran a good at Ascot, Pat Smullen chose her over the winner of the Irish leger. The horses you mention have class, but one or two of them are too short for me. I think i’ll go single on Tiger Cliff @ 33/1, Pale Mimosa at 20/1, and i’d say i’ve now relegated Brown Panther to a saver, so if he wins i will buy a voodoo doll with ginger hair.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

i’ve now relegated Brown Panther to a saver, so if he wins i will buy a voodoo doll with ginger hair.

You, and a TRF army LW.
    Why do you think my hair is ginger? Voodoo!

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

i’ve now relegated Brown Panther to a saver, so if he wins i will buy a voodoo doll with ginger hair.

You, and a TRF army LW.
    Why do you think my hair is ginger? Voodoo!

I’ll vouch that your hair is Strawberry blonde now Ginge….Oh and by the way

Tiger cliff

is next years ‘Supreme’ winner. :wink:

• Total Posts 614

Once a ginger, always a ginger. Embrace it. Despite what 99.9% of the planets population say, there is nothing wrong with those who have ginger hair, or the confused breed of redheads who lock themselves in a garden shed with a bottle of paroxide to attain the strawberry effect. They have feelings, just like everybody else. Oh that’s right, Toormore is 14/1 with ‘Racebets’ for the SJP. It won’t last much longer, now that he’s being aimed there. GL with your bet at Navan.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

The ‘Strawberry blond’ tipster is far too not fiery enough to be ginge.
    He’s still softie though. :wink:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

• Total Posts 614

Deary me, Leading Light pissed up. I got that one wrong, big time. :oops:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Leading Light was my banker today. Tipped up last night at 15/8.

A group 1 winner in a group 3 race with the main opposition only a listed winner.

It looked one of those rare occasions where class was the simple answer to the puzzle.

He’s as low as 7/4 for Ascot now but I won’t touch him at those odds. Estimate is out to a worrying 7/1.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 614

Too true, Stevie. That was like missing a three foot putt, by reading too much into it. That’s what i deserved for not having enough confidence to back Brown Panther. The winner was impressive though. Well in.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

4:25 Goodwood
    56 points @ 7/2 (PP) Jordan Princess (min 3/1)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

4:25 Goodwood
    56 points @ 7/2 (PP) Jordan Princess (min 3/1)

saver:
    15 points @ 5/1 (PP) Psychometry (min 92)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

3:50 Goodwood
    28 points @ 16/1 (VC) Verse Of Love* (min 13/1)

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 2,262 through 2,278 (of 2,647 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.