The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Geoff Banks

Home Forums Horse Racing Geoff Banks

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

At York yesterday, Geoff Banks’s representative was meant to pay out £375 to a punter. Due to a mix up, £3,750 was paid out instead.

Banks is annoyed because the punter took the money rather than pointing out the overpayment.

I like to think I would have been honest. In fact, I was overpaid €50 by a bookmaker at Gowran Park one day and gave it back.

But £3,000…would you give it back or not?

https://x.com/geoffbanksbet/status/1827451918664278136?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Participant
    • Total Posts 8864

https://x.com/geoffbanksbet/status/1827617313715060854?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

I am not registered on X but it looks like a lot of respondents were not sympathetic to Mr Banks’s plight.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

I couldn’t in all good consciousness walk away from that bookie with that additional money because I know that it isn’t mine.

I know some might feel that it is some sort of cosmic karma and serves a ‘greedy bookie’ right but its plainly not right to not say anything and I just couldn’t do it.

Sadly there are plenty of people out there that don’t have any compunction in taking something that they are clearly not entitled to.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I was in a bookies when Jaqueline Quest won the Guineas and was disqualified and I took my winnings back to the counter to ask if I should keep it ( I did, it was first past the post). It was only about £5 though…I believe too much in karma to take money that isn’t mine.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

I would not have taken it.

Remember the days when you used to write your bet details on the back of the ticket?

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

This won’t be a popular response but I’d have bolted out of there with the £3k and not looked back.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

I’d give it back straight away. Wouldn’t even think a moment about it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2977

I would have been so shocked to win anything at all that I wouldn’t have questioned the payout until long afterwards, probably not until I got home. In the very unlikely event that I DID notice that it might be more than I expected at the time, I would have questioned it, “Really? Are you sure?” (as I did when I won £600 on the Placepot at Plumpton, though that turned out to be correct) but not pushed it beyond that. I see too many evil people doing well to believe in karma.

Cmap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 18

I’d give it back. The implication in the racing post is perhaps a bit of social engineering/trickery employed by asking for wrong amount..

Father_Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 188

Geoff is using a bit of double standardery (if thats a word !).

He has form for not paying out.

His clerk is either a bit on the slow side or even complicit………..

30 years ago in bookies shops we double checked bets over a certain amount and that we weren’t paying the wrong punter too !!!

In this day and age shouldn’t there be CCTV or bodycams near the hod really ? Dave Hazell got a few grand pinched at Chester last year if I remember correctly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

On the rare occasion I had a payout in the upper hundreds and the days I still visited a bookies unless the manager was paying out it was always double checked. He needs to accept what has happened, a trusted member of staff has made an error and the punter has accepted it that’s life. Who is most at blame his clerk or the punter, move on Geoff what is done is done.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

I certainly wouldn’t take it. It’s stealing.

I would have sympathy with Mr Banks, however I was reading about Dundee racecourse yesterday(opened 1924 closed 1925) and at one of their meetings several bookmakers left the course in a rush without paying out to punters.

Is 100 years too long to say swings and roundabouts?

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 742

I would have been plagued with a guilty conscious for the rest of my life if I had taken the money and walked away.
    good luck to all

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

If a crime has been committed, what are the police supposed to do about it? If everything was paid in cash and there’s no footage (obviously I have no idea if there is or not) then how do you prove it? Just before the incident he was retweeting someone moaning about Tesco stopping cash payments in some of its cafes. There would be a nice paper trail if it had happened electronically 😉

Participant
    • Total Posts 1393

Ghostbrokes betting odds:-

Keep the 3K – 4/5
    Return the 3K with free bet – 10/1
    Return the 3K – 300/1

If there’s something stolen at the bookies? Who ya gonna call? … Ghostbrokes! 👻

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

How much did “bookmaker” John Batten take off punters at The Derby a few years ago? 70 grand?

Maybe it’s a case of every man for himself lol.

Bookmakers have been robbing punters and racing for over 60 years.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1165

I sympathise with the every man for himself argument but I’d like to think I’d pay it back.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.