The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gavin Sheehan – Losing rides on Nicholls horses

Home Forums Horse Racing Gavin Sheehan – Losing rides on Nicholls horses

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

There were excuses for every other jockey, TTC.

Instead of just saying time after time that I am wrong, why not tell me why I am wrong?
    What part of the type of horse Saint is and the pace they went makes you think differently? :unsure:

Sheehan should have known what he was doing was against his horse’s chances and therefore he’s made a very foolish mistake. I’m not “bitter” and don’t get any satisfaction from saying it – just what the evidence shouts to me. In any other job such a stupid mistake would end up with the sack. No matter how sympathetic I am towards him doesn’t change what he did and if his boss (owner or trainer) I’d sack him too.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

Why is no one talking about Willie Mullins who got this race completely wrong?

He didn’t intend to send Tornado Flyer over, it was only the owner, John Turner, who wanted to have a runner at Kempton as his parents were there to watch the racing. Willie admitted that if Asterion Furlonge hadn’t gone over for the KG, Tornado Flyer clearly would have stayed home.

He got it completely wrong, even worse than Sheehan who finished third on a 28/1 shot. No one dares to say a bad word about Willie, because he is Willie. I don’t want to know how many times Ruby persuaded him to go for the right race. But, he is the genius, who can get it wrong at times as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Ruby- it could also be argued that Willie has been running Tornado Flyer over the wrong trip so far.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

To be fair TF has never really lived up to the hype of his early days when Team Mullins (confirmed by Ruby Walsh on Road To Cheltenham recently) all thought that he was potntially one of their best novice hurdlers – most are of the opinion (Patrick confirmed it on Racing Debate this morning) that it was more a case of the race falling into his lap rather than him taking a significant step up on what he has acheived prior to Kempton.

He has to go for the Gold Cup but for me it would take an awful lot of underperforming horses and/or bad tactical rides for him to win – I could see him being primarily ridden out the back hoping to pick up some pieces and end up finishing 5th or 6th without being too involved.

Back on topic – I do think it was a rush of blood for Sheehan in that the hold up tactics had worked so well up to that point of the race that the horse was travelling so well and took him into the race at the exact moment that a cooler head would have held onto him until possibly after jumping the 3rd last.

Either way for me he wouldn’t have won as I think 3m in that ground was just a step beyond him but at least if Sheehan had held onto him as it would appear the tactics beforehand were then he wouldn’t have given connections more ammunition to make the changes. Although one could argue damned if you do etc.

In some ways the race reminded me a little of the insanity of the 1987 renewal when Dessie, Beau Ranger & Cybrandian went off like the the hounds of hell were chasing them and were the best part of 15L clear after jumping the first two fences. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYijxs2Ep4g

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

It seemed to me that Sheehan got all the flak from Nicholls for ruining the chance of his anointed one, Clan Des Obeaux. So did Cobden not take account that he was being challenged by his none too stout staying stablemate ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Clan Des’s chance was already compromised to a degree Pilgarlic – through chasing Frodon for so long. However, neither Tornado nor Asterion were proven at 3 miles, so (with Minella Indo already falling away) is possible Cobden thought it was to his benefit to chase Saint in order to make a greater stamina test. In practice / hindsight Tornado Flyer looks a thorough stayer. tbh Not convinced Asterion would’ve hung on for second given his very tired fall.

Value Is Everything
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I think that hindsight makes it very easy for us all to be critical armchair jockeys. That said, I think that the rides given by Sheehan , Frost and Blackmore (in no particular order) are worthy of some criticism , albeit to different extents. I also dislike seeing any jockey get “jocked off” , although I accept that it has gone on forever.
    What perplexes me , is Nicholls persuading the owners to use his “in house” jockeys , when there isn’t a top class one anywhere in the yard , in my opinion. It’s hardly like there is a new Ruby in the wings !.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Given that it is already known that Saint Calvados barely stays 3 miles, Coggy… With him there is absolutely zero hindsight in knowing this horse would not be suited by his jockey – himself – increasing the test of stamina. By being first to go for home in earnest off an already very strong pace on soft ground when racing at 3 miles. Just beggars belief Sheehan would do that,

Value Is Everything
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I agree GT. All 3 jocks rode poorly judged races in my opinion , including Sheehan.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Yes, just think with Cobden, Frost and Blackmore there is a certain amount of valid excuses. Where as Sheehan should’ve known.

Value Is Everything
    Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

What was Cobdens excuse? I must hare after my non-staying stablemate? Sheehan seems to be getting a really hard time for not being in the ‘big names’ club.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Cobden’s possible excuse:

Turning for home TTC, Minella Indo had already fallen away.

You Had:

Saint Calvados – Known to barely stay 3 miles

Tornado Flyer – Trying as much as 3 miles for the first time

Asterion Forlonge – Trying as much as 3 miles for the first time

Clan Des Obeaux – Winner of Grade 1’s up to 3m1f and winner of the 2019 King George on officially soft ground by 21 lengths.

Turning for home Cobden was on the only horse proven at 3m. So although you and I might disagree, Cobden could easily have believed an increased test of stamina would probably be in his mount’s favour,

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

“Saint Calvados – Known to barely stay 3 miles”.

Highly debatable for me. And I maintain that was SC’s career best over 3m. Nice chunk of prize money. Who is to say what would have happened if he hadn’t been carted to the front?

Don’t think I’ve read a solitary word about Nicholls golden boy Cobden giving up on McFabulous in the Cleeve, before realising his horse was staying on (after Brewin’upastorm toppled) and beginning riding again too late, closing rapidly.

BUY THE SUN

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

TF finished a distant 5th behind A Plus Tard in last year’s Savills Chase over 3m but no doubt Cobden was thinking that of the four horses still in contention he was on the strongest stayer of them all and was looking to exploit that advantage.

That being said although we know Nicholls can get a horse ready first time out for G1s both of Clans Des Obeaux’s King George wins have come off the back of having a prep run beforehand (you also have to go all the way back to his juvenile hurdle days to find the last time he actually won first time out – I consider his Punchestown win in April as being part of last season) so it could be that ultimately the lack of race fitness also played a big part in his defeat along with him sitting the closest of the four to that grueling pace.

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 280

Where next for Saint Calvados, another go at 3 miles or give up and keep him shorter maybe Ryanair and or Marsh chase Aintree, both 2-1/2 :good: :good:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Don’t tell me the Melling has a new name.

BUY THE SUN

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 280

Marsh Chase (Registered As The Melling Chase) (Grade 1) 9 Apr 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.