The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gavin Sheehan – Losing rides on Nicholls horses

Home Forums Horse Racing Gavin Sheehan – Losing rides on Nicholls horses

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

“Stupidity” is going way, way, too far. Come on. And I disagree regardless (well aware I am in the minority), so that point is an opinion and certainly not a fact.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“Point is what we do know is his stupidity cost the horse ALL CHANCE of winning.”

That is the key point. Maybe the horse would not have won even if Sheehan had ridden him differently but he gave the horse no chance.

I believe far more races are lost by jockeys going too soon than by jockeys leaving it too late. If Sheehan had left his challenge late but failed to get up by half a length, at least he would have given the horse a chance and it would not have been a bad ride.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

If Sheehan had left it late, he may not have got third place.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Riding as he did, he was lucky to finish in the frame at all. He only got third because the Mullins lunatic fell again.

I do think he could have finished at least second with a more patient ride.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

On the other hand he has a five-year 21% strike on the Jamie Snowden trained horses: 105 from 511 rides. I think this quite a good number, considering that the trainer himself only operates at around 17% over the same period. He clearly isn’t that bad, but riding in a G1 race is totally different from riding at Uttoxeter or Ffos Las…

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

“I do think he could have finished at least second with a more patient ride.”

Potentially. Bit different to calling the bloke “stupid” and a “journyman”.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

What I said was:
    Rushing Saint Calvados into the lead before the home straight off an overly strong pace was sheer stupidity from Sheehan and deserves to lose the ride.

To repeat:

It is vitally important to remember Saint Calvados barely stays 3 miles.

Being the first
    to go for home in earnest (before the home straight)
    in a race that was already strongly run.
    ie In a race that was already testing stamina at the trip
    Sheehan decided to increase that test of stamina still further
    by increasing the strongly run race still further
    on a horse that barely stays 3 miles.

Why is that not “stupid”?

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

I wondered how long it would be until the capital letters emerged.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

There is no bold type available.

Just trying to emphasise the imporrtant words in an attempt to explain to anyone that does not understand. But have now changed it. No capital letters now TTC. Apologies. :rose:

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Not neccessary either GT. I disagree with you totally. The condescending addition of bold, underline, capitals, or italics, won’t sway me, as I have a brain.

I hope THAT MY OPINION, sinks in. Everyone has their OWN OPINION. And THESE OPINIONS are equal to YOURS. Hey its catching.

BUY THE SUN

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

bold

Participant
    • Total Posts 82

Did Sheehan even ride for Nichols before the King George, just sounds like a trainer power play after the outside jockey rode a poor race…as well as his in house riders

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

You said TTC: ““Stupidity” is going way, way, too far. Come on. And I disagree regardless (well aware I am in the minority), so that point is an opinion and certainly not a fact”.

Yes, you / anyone can have your “opinion” TTC.
    But pace / sectionals – how a horse/s run through a race – is fact.
    …And sometimes by looking at those facts something a jockey does becomes obviously “stupid” to do.

It is not that Sheehan should have – thought – it wrong to rush Saint Calvados to be the first to go for home in earnest.

Knowing the horse and given the pace of the race…

It is that Sheehan should have – known – it wrong to rush Saint calvados to be the first to go for home in earnest.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Agreeing to disagree, not mistaking our own opinions for facts and respecting the rationale others have for their views, even if it seems illogical to us, are underrated qualities IMO.

Just saying.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

TROY111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 280

Be interesting to know the form how will it stand up. Sheehan got it so wrong grade 1.
    Henry de Bromhead described Minella Indo as Shook [emotionally or physically disturbed; upset.] when they got him home. Never known a trainer to use the word before regarding a horse.
    TTC B&Q sell bigger shovels.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Nicholls is prob still getting over there plan of Frodon setting the race up for CDO failing , no mention of frost or Cobden but hey let’s knock the lad out with the stable , Nicholls is a master trainer but what he,s not good at ( at least recently ) is revigorating soured or horses with previous issues , Sheehan will have been riding to instruction , did he disregard them ?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Clan Des Obeaux and Frodon are in different ownership, so I am sure that was no more the plan this year than it was last year.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.