The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gaelic Plant Hire Chase 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Gaelic Plant Hire Chase 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16282

Really like this race, but really competitive……

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/187/leopardstown/2021-02-07/777105

No market up yet, but the one I’ll be wanting to bet early is my long term fancy for this, At The Acorn. He’s been really underwhelming over hurdles this year, but a repeat bid has always looked likely, after he was a bit unlucky last year. I’m sure he’s been better than we’ve seen this year, and hopefully get a price. He should sneak in, but hardly guaranteed either.

The other one I’m really keen on is Stones and Roses. He won with plenty in hand at Punchestown last time, and I reckon he’s still ahead of the handicapper, despite that win.

One of those races where I could pour over the majority of them, but these are currently on the radar too….

Coko Beach – Looks like one of those that trainer has a specific target in mind for. He’s definitely got a big prize in him.

Pont Aven – Really caught the eye here at Christmas, and then bumped into one in The Dan Moore, and should run his race.

Treaceysenniscorthy – Last time winner, and one I’ve always had a lot of time for. I’m expecting him to continue progressing as the season goes on. Big chance.

Myth Buster – Solid but not spectacular type, who looks sure to run his race, based on his Paddy Power performance.

Goose Man – He looked a very promising type a couple of years back, but difficult to gauge where he’s at after his early exit at Limerick, but a contender if near his best.

Scoir Mear – Hard to catch right, but capable on his day. Looks on a decent mark, and looked the winner for a long way last time.

It’ll depend on Antepost price, whether I have a go or not. I’m very interested in all those above, but early doors, the main two are….

At The Acorn
    Stones and Roses

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3022

Hoping Pont Aven comes here instead of the Matheson. Though not to preach to WPM but in my opinion he’s missed a golden opportunity to get this horse a big win after his promising effort at Leop. He’s much better over even a little further than 2m1. Perhaps he’ll be progressive enough still, but his price might be tight enough.

A bit like in the Thyestes, Assemble would interest me if they decided to come here.

For me Stones + Roses has progressed for the marathon trip + a step back to 2m5 on better ground might not be his ideal.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

Assemble for me as well Jack, but not one to bet just now, with him holding an entry in The Flogas

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16282

Real shame that At The Acorn is struggling to get in, as I’d give him a massive chance, he’s certainly my #1 here. 14’s

Farclas is a horse I’ve mentioned a few times as a big winner waiting to happen. No doubt in my mind about that, and this looks perfect. 8’s

Treaceysenniscorthy, bar a last fence blip, was very impressive last time. Good course form, and must have a chance here despite a fair hike in the weights. 8’s

I put up Off You Go as one to follow a couple of months ago, but he didn’t back that up in The Tim Duggan Memorial, falling early. I’m keeping the faith though, and shortlist material here, despite the jumping concerns. 8’s

Scoir Mear is a likeable type. Possibly pushing it for run purposes, but his mark looks spot on, and at a big price, and with decent EW terms on offer, I can’t leave him out. 25’s

Tough then, and I’ll happily go with three here.

Farclas, Treaceysenniscorthy, and Off You Go, all around 8’s, and hard to split. I’d probably go with either Farclas or Treaceys.

For now though, I’m as well betting At The Acorn, as should he sneak in, the 14’s would be very fair.

At The Acorn 14’s
    Scoir Mear EW

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2715

Farclas 10-1 ew 5 places

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3022

Assemble going to the G1, typical Giggy especially when they are lacking proper grade 1 animals.

Anyway, i’ve gone with Braeside. Off a featherweight and a very good 7lb claimer rider in J C Gainford on board. Third behind Pencilfulloflead and Coko Beach, one is a graded horse already and the other a Thyestes winner. Well beaten 5th behind Asterion Forlonge but the 2nd Conflated is 144, 3rd is 140 and the 3rd School Boy Hours is 135. N
    Next time he was a close 2nd to Kavanaghs Corner carrying 23lbs more. KC is now 119 and finished 2nd at Down Royal on Thursday (will go up). The third Evol Pierji won off 109 at Down Royal and is 120 over hurdles. He was 26 pds less than Braeside that day.
    He then went on to finish 3.75 lengths behind Fils D’oudairies who then went on to run promising behind a certain Envoi Allen. He now runs tomorrow in the Flogas.
    14/1 e/w is a nice price i suspect.

I’ve had a saver on Fan Des Bleus who was going well behind Daly Tiger before his jumping let him down. Up slightly in trip it should hopefully help him jump better. He ran well at this meeting last year over hurdles and they clearly think he’s better than he’s shown recently. Hayes 33 chasers, 5 winners 9 others in the first 4 +£6.38 to the £. I like him as a jockey over fences and i think he’s underrated.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16282

Very difficult not to bet Farclas or Off You Go here, but I’ll stick with this pair, now that At The Acorn is balloted out.

Treaceysenniscorthy 7’s
    Scoir Mear EW 6 Places

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 995

Fsrclas e.w

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8112

I think Goose Man is a decent sort who’s had his problems,
    off for 18 months before unshipping his apprentice jockey at
    the 1st on his return in December. He’s also consistant and
    rarely out of the 1st 2 (befor u/r, only once out of 1st 2
    last 9 barring 1 fall). JJ Sleven back on top this time. Every
    chance if fit enough

Goose Man 66/1 E/W 5 places William Hill

botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4166

Myth Buster 27/1 5 places

Got to have a reasonable chance of sneaking place considering his last run.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2722

Farclas my main fancy of the weekend

Money is down on him Kennedy is up and hopeful of a big run

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 299

It was very difficult not to bet Bapaume here. I think that the 12-1 is a very attractive price considering connections.

In the end I went with Blazer 28-1, sticking my neck out for the win, and Goose Man 66-1 ew

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3813

I like little Farclas and the ground is coming right but he’s too short for me now, WD Mike with the early price. Staying with my old pals Bapaume and Blazer ew :good:

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3813

Good finish :good: WD anyone on the winner and plenty with place money I think.

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8112

Thanks Green, and as I said on the Maydan Thursdays thread, I must have had
    a touch of 2nd sight before the off. I had that horrible feeling I might miss
    out by 1 having taken the 66s 5 places, so I took Paddy Powers 40/1 (boosted
    to 45s) 6 places as a safeguard :good:

I know this could look like a bit of convenient aftertiming, so anyone wishing
    to can verify the returned bet slip in the Meydan Thursdays thread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.