The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

French Racing – Owner’s Premiums

Home Forums Horse Racing French Racing – Owner’s Premiums

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Apologies for the esoteric nature of this thread.

We have been researching racing in France where a system of Owner’s Premiums operates. This increases the prizemoney paid to the owner by a massive 75% for a 2yo runner provided the horse qualifies. To qualify, the horse either needs to have been born in France or be ‘assimilated’ (which involves taking the mare and foal to France for a certain period).

This is the official ‘assimilation’ criteria:

A foal born outside France is considered to be French if its mare left France after 1st November of the year preceding its birth and the foal returns to France with its dam before 1st September of the year of its birth. The foal must then stay in France until at least 1st June of the following year except for a temporary exportation not exceeding one month.

I had assumed that you just needed to look out for the suffix (FR) after a horse’s name to establish whether it was eligible for these premiums but having made an enquiry this morning about a horse with a (GB) suffix, I was advised that it was qualified for French Owner’s Premiums.

The question I have therefore is whether there is any way to establish (other than asking the breeder every time) which horses without the (FR) suffix are qualified for these premiums?

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

With the horses in training sales coming up I thought I’d bump this just in case Irish Stamp was looking in…

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Saw this first time around and been thinking about it since.

As far as I knew it was horses with the "FR" suffix ie. those foaled in France that were eligible for Breeders Premiums.

Can’t say for sure but looking at that the assimilated foals are the offspring of French-based stallions who visit overseas stallions the year that the foal is born (hence foaled overseas) but then return to France later that year to be bred to a French based stallion.

It looks to me like a "year out" in as much as the mares effected by it will be primarily French based but might spend 9 months in Ireland or the UK being bred to a stallion based there before returning France.

No idea how you’d identify such horses from the HIT sale but at a guess a racehorse who’s year older brother/sister is French-bred and year younger brother/sister is French-bred would be most likely to qualify.

Martin

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Thanks, Martin. This all came about because I made an enquiry about Orange Ace and was told he was qualified for Owner’s Premiums. The only clue there was that the breeder was clearly French but the Dam’s next offspring also had the GB suffix. It’s certainly a bit of a poser!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Fair enough Tuffers – I guess the only way to find out is to ask the owner/trainer or France-Galop though it’s a cumbersome way of doing things.

Owners would be mad not to run in France if they have something suitable though that’s another matter entirely.

TuffersTuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Martin,

Ian Williams gave me the answer last night. If you go into the ‘Racing Professionals’ section of the France Galop site and type in the horse’s name it confirms whether or not the horse is eligible for owner’s premiums

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Cheers Tuffers – seems a logical thing to do in fairness lol.

Will look out for those in the future :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.