The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Freedom day June21st

Home Forums Lounge Freedom day June21st

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6803

Has most of press call it the day where we use masks no more and end social distancing will it happen I not see it

And got any American people here find it interesting in Texas and Florida a few months since no masks no vaccine passports but seem to doing well even Baseball ground was packed to.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1441

21st June is looking like a non-starter, thanks to Whitty and Vallance. Despite daily deaths being in single digits (and sometimes zero) and fewer than a thousand people in hospital:

Lockdown Could Be Extended by “Between Two Weeks and a Month” Following “Grim” Briefing to Ministers by Whitty and Vallance

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6803

Not happening now so wonder how long have to wait now I get the feeling it be months now

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1652

At least another month I think – an absolute load of bollox and I’m not sure what the master plan is. Any idea, Dazza?

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15609

They’re just flattening the curve Tank.

Another month tops. Promise.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1652

The next freedom marches are going to be full-on. Hundreds of thousands of pissed-off people shoulder to shoulder and no masks. Mind you, we’ve had quite a few of them already and no rise in Covid cases. Not covered by the media of course.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15609

You’re wrong again Tank. The media did cover the last big one, you must have missed the coverage, or did you not want to see it?

This was one headline I read from the marvellous coverage, I think this particular headline was from The Times…..

A few hundred anti-vaxxers/covidiots marched through London at the weekend. No more than 400 though. Meanwhile, on the same day, the Prime Minister got married. Right slap bang in the middle of a pandemic. What’s that you say? There’s a pandemic, and the prime minister had the time to get married. Sounds a bit unlikely does it not? Who the actual f’ck, in a position of considerable authority would even consider that? No, I shitt you not, he did. No he didn’t, there is no way that the Prime Minister would get married during a time like this. What about whatever particular variant the media will be ramping up that weekend. This is getting beyond ridiculous, no way will the general public swallow that one, that’s even more insulting than those nauseating videos of nurses doing Tik Tok videos during a pandemic. Don’t look so confused, just keep swallowing this bullshitt, and don’t you dare ask questions. She looked lovely, whatever her name is, she was radiant. Marvellous couple. Anyway, it’s not as if they’ll be flying in people in from all over the globe in a few weeks, for a meeting that could be covered by a Zoom Call, before they all pose for a staged, socially distanced photograph together, before they then all mingle unmasked, while their waiters and waitresses still have to wear their masks. What did I tell you about looking confused? Stop being so cynical. It’s not as if The Queen, who had to sit isolated and masked up at her husbands funeral a few weeks earlier, will be in close contact with these same people, while not wearing a mask. Now, let’s all Build Back Better

What more do you want Tank? Next you’ll be getting tetchy about Dermot O’f’ckingLeary and Matthew Wright shouting down people who have the audacity to question this pantomime.

There’s nothing to see here. Let it go.

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1652

Nice one, VTC

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6803

Nice to see you back Bob hope things ok with you not seen you on forum.

Thing is tank this government let this Indian variant not put it on red list same week as Pakistan and Bangladesh bunch of idiots running this country

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1441

Spot on, VTC.

Daily Covid deaths are down to single figures and less than 1% of the daily death toll. There are fewer than 1,000 people in hospital purely because of Covid. But it is still too dangerous to open up!!

Professor Michie was on Channel 5 News last week and said she thought masks and social distancing should continue for ever. And all the presenter could do was laugh and not ask her why.

The pictures from the G7 looked terrible. Bumping elbows for the cameras and ignoring social distancing the rest of the time. There is one picture of Biden and Macron with their arms around each other!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15609

It gets more of a shitshow by the day Cork. Not the first time I’ve seen a newsreader struggle with having to read this nonsense out.

It’s bewildering why so many people are still buying it.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1316

“Freedom Day?”

I thought we were already free.

I was at Bath races yesterday – thousands there, superb afternoon.

And social distancing made it BETTER – I don’t want people invading my body space.

So I pop a mask on to go indoors in public areas – not going to cry like a baby about that.

I can lead a perfectly full and happy life with things exactly as they are.

In the Far East, they’ve been wearing face masks for countless years – most of because of factories billowing out smog as they mass produce cheap goods for us westerners to buy – it’s a way of life for them.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24977

Govt would want the county open as soon as possible
    opened up things far too early after the 1st lockdown imo although without the vaccines would have had a second wave whenever they opened up.
    To be fair everybody’s circumstances are different and the lockdown(s) restrictions haven’t affected me individually too much, I can symphysis with those who have lost jobs etc
    Played Snooker with my friend last week. He told me we last played 15 months ago. Still does the same trick when I go to break he stops me and says I cannot just break we need to toss a coin for it. I call heads, he tells me its a tail and then duly proceeds to put me in to break.. :wacko:

Member since March 2008
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27646

Feel for those most effected but it had to be.
    I know we’ll have to live with this virus, but this imo is not the time to open fully.
    The young are yet to have their first jab and this Delta variant has – in most experts opinions – changed the outlook.
    Imagine packed night clubs etc.
    Those who don’t want a postponement seem to be the same people who don’t want lockdowns.
    This postponement is surely to limit the chance of another lockdown.
    True there’s not much covid around now but there’s a genuine risk of it growing and forcing us in to another real lockdown.

It may not be a probable (51%+) risk but what size risk is worth chancing another peak covid and another lockdown? imo Risk needs to be single figure percentages.

value is everything
    Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1441

We have to open up at some point. The longer we leave it, the more difficult it will be.

I never thought I would say this but I agree with Theresa May. She made a good speech in the Commons last week saying that there will always be new variants and the government needs to be honest and admit it cannot prevent all deaths from Covid, just like it cannot prevent all deaths from flu in a normal winter. She added the government needs to show a bit of courage – it cannot keep on putting off the easing of restrictions.

I should have thought people on a racing forum and who like a bet should understand the principle of taking a controlled risk better than most!

It also seems to me that the people who are advocating yet another delay are in effect arguing for a zero Covid policy but just do not want to admit it. Because if we cannot open up now, when can we? If we leave it to late July/early August, we are not far from the autumn when respiratory illnesses inevitably increase.

The country already faces a huge problem getting people to go back to work as normal. I have been fortunate to work from home on full pay. I would be happy to go back tomorrow but have been told I cannot. But I know colleagues who are literally terrified about getting on a bus or a train. Is a delay going to make it any easier for them? It is going to take years to get over the damage done to the country’s collective mental health.

Look at Texas and Florida. Fully open, no restrictions. As far as I am aware, they have not seen any surge in infections or deaths.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.