The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Frankie Dettori Tests Positive

Home Forums Horse Racing Frankie Dettori Tests Positive

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

News is breaking today that Frankie Dettori has tested positive for a banned substance found in his sample given after riding Farhh at Longchamp in September.

No details have yet emerged regarding which substance has been detected.

What implications for Dettori’s career and overall legacy will there be if these findings prove correct? If it is a recreational or performance enhancing drug, his current pristine reputation could be destroyed.

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

In an interview with the BBC’s Newsnight, he admitted that he used to take diuretic drugs to keep his weight down. Dettori said he had used a wide range of substances before the Jockey Club banned them in June 1998 after a spate of positive drug tests revealed how prevalent their use was becoming: "I took Lasix, pee pills, diuretics, laxatives; all sorts

The above is from Wikipedia. Maybe he never stopped taking them.

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

In an interview with the BBC’s Newsnight, he admitted that he used to take diuretic drugs to keep his weight down. Dettori said he had used a wide range of substances before the Jockey Club banned them in June 1998 after a spate of positive drug tests revealed how prevalent their use was becoming: "I took Lasix, pee pills, diuretics, laxatives; all sorts

The above is from Wikipedia. Maybe he never stopped taking them.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Also got a police caution for possession of cocaine in 1993:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive … rtune.html

Dettori has been withdrawn from the betting for champion jockey in 2013

• Total Posts 469

Lets not hang him until he’s guilty, eh?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

With McCririck due for the Channel 4 chop let’s hope racing doesn’t lose its only other nationally recognisable figure.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Reports so far seem only to say "tested positive" , with the term "for a banned substance" conspicuously absent.

Hmm.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

It’s when you read stories like this that you realise what great value for money we got sending Scotney half way round the world on drugs enforcement fact finding holidays. We just don’t have the problems with drugs that the Frenchies seem to have.

It just underlines that we have the cleanest racing in the world.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Cocaine according to RP front page.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2047

His flying dismount says it all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 415

No Jockey how great or Trainer or Owner is bigger than this sport, let the facts come out and then judgement can be made.

However, let us be minded to reflect on the whole picture rather than sensationalising on one person (prominent as he is) and risk blackening the name of our sport for a few cheap headlines where the soap opera mentality lends itself to the bovine.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I was fascinated to read that Frankie’s solicitor said it was not a performance enhancing drug.Whatever that is.I could see a performance enhancing drug not being allowed given to the horse as in the Henderson case.But why not give performance enhancing drugs to jockeys ? Many of them could certainly benefit from such drugs if such are available.Most poor riding performances are due to poor judgement and anything that would improve the jockeys judgement leading to improved performance(enhanced is the word they used)should be permitted.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

I was fascinated to read that Frankie’s solicitor said it was not a performance enhancing drug.Whatever that is.I could see a performance enhancing drug not being allowed given to the horse as in the Henderson case.But why not give performance enhancing drugs to jockeys ? Many of them could certainly benefit from such drugs if such are available.Most poor riding performances are due to poor judgement and anything that would improve the jockeys judgement leading to improved performance(enhanced is the word they used)should be permitted.

Cocaine worsens performance, not enhances it. Anyone who’s seen a late 70’s Aerosmith concert can tell you that.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

It’s when you read stories like this that you realise what great value for money we got sending Scotney half way round the world on drugs enforcement fact finding holidays. We just don’t have the problems with drugs that the Frenchies seem to have.

It just underlines that we have the cleanest racing in the world.

Agreed. Those unpleasant Frenchies also caught Fallon on coke 6 years ago. Makes you wonder how they can ride almost daily in the UK and not get caught but get nailed on occasional trips to France.

The BHA content themselves with breathyliser tests.

How about the BHA packing up and let France Galop discipline the sport in the UK?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Dear Woodford and Lingfiels,Cocain should of course be banned since it is not a performance enhancing drug,secondly the fact that the English racing scene fails to detect the drugs is not a badge of honor,on the contrary.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

What a disaster for Dettori – Mr. squeaky clean.

I await the "I made one mistake" (again) humble speech – and I won’t believe a word of it.

Rabscallion
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9

I really hate drugs and he is a fool, but if it’s cocaine, I hope the ban is shorter than 6 months, testing positive is different to being under the influence isn’t it? That said I’d be sacked if it was me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.