The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Franchoek next year?

Home Forums Horse Racing Franchoek next year?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

What trip and obstacles do you think connections will campaign Franchoek over next year?
    Straw Bear will be 2m novice chasing, and Ted Walsh believes Captain Cee Bee should do the same. Could Franchoek be a Tidal Bay-esque Arkle horse, go for the RSA or stay hurdling and the World Hurdle???

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Don’t have an opinion but like to see such forward thinking in what has been a busy day on here!! Hope someone can help.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He’s not quick enough for 2m. I would say stayers’ hurdle, but 5yo’s have a bad record in that. :wink:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Given how he jumps, I’d see no problem in sending him chasing at 4/5y-o. Only problem is, Captain Cee Bee and/or Straw Bear will be looking at the Arkle, and if I were Jonjo I’d be giving Wichita Lineman a fence to jump (and some headgear to wear, and a good kick up the backside…), so J P may already have a very strong hand in the novice chasing division next year.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Have you seen Franchoek? Not big enough for fences.

And probably does not have enough improvement in him to win a Champion Hurdle, even if he did have the speed. Strange! Seem to remember saying that about another Alan King four year old. :lol: Think his best targets are graded races at 2 1/2 miles.

Celestial Halo on the other hand is a grand looking animal. Bags of scope for further improvement. If he has the pace, which ridden like today, probably does. Have taken the 16/1 (WH) for next years Champion.

Ginge

value is everything
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3214

At a Cheltenham preview evening where he was on the panel last Sunday, Alan King was quite clear that the Triumph would be Franchoek’s last run over 2m and that he would be aimed at the 2m 4f novice hurdle at Aintree.

That would suggest he’s going to follow in the footsteps of Blazing Bailey rather than Katchit as a 5-y-old.

AP

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I think that yesterday Celestial Halo just said whatever you can do I can do better, CH was a high class stayer on the flat. And he showed a really good temperment yesterday to stick to the front yesterday. I think that the form of the triumph Hurdle looks under rated though.

Franchoek is a very good jumper, and looks composed at his jumps, and his front running antics will surely pick him up novice chases next year, although I am not sure if he’ll win an arkle as I expect next years Arkle will be a smart one, as it has been a good year for novice hurdlers.

Celestial Halo looks a world hurdler in the making, I think he could have won the ballymore doing handstands, and I think he will improve the further up he goes, they apparently came to the conclusion before yesterday that he is a 2m4f horse and that was why they ran him from the front, which he done very well. His jumping doesn’t look like he should go chasing any time soon. Apparently Nicholls was thinking of sending CH to the Champ Hurdle earlier in the season, and so I expect that with the improvement he will show going up in trip he will have a crack at the world hurdle with him next season. Especially with no inglis drever about and the world hurdle looking wide open.

The third horse won In the dark has been very tough, honest and consistent this season and I thought he always looked to be sure of a place, with a bit of pace in the Triumph. He looked to be losing 3rd place at one point but went better the further they went up the hill I hope they try for the Ballymore next year as lightning strike has done this year as he would surely have a very good chance.

The one I would take from this season for the Champ Hurdle would surely be Binocular, he has class coming out of his ears and was just outstayed up the hill by captain cee bee, and if the ratings are to be belived he is the now the highest rated of all the juvenile novices. On good ground I think he would have all the strengths and qualities to win a champion hurdle, he could be well priced to do so as it stands. He almost certainly wont be going chasing as apparently he takes some getting redy for hurdle races and with all his speed I very much doubt they will try sending him up in trip. I think the Champ Hurdle division is wide open at the minute and he remains a very smart 2 mile hurdling prospect.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

Surely Won in the Dark wouldn’t qualify as he wouldn’t have his novice status anymore whereas Lightning Strike was a maiden over hurdles before this season.
    Obviously disappointed that Franchoek couldn’t do the biz yesterday but he ran well and I’d like to see him upped in trip for next season.
    A little surprised to see bookies quoting him high in the ante post lists for the Champion Hurdle although there’s not much betting yet on next years World Hurdle.
    He may yet of course go fencing as both Alan King and the horses’ owner have plenty of hurdlers in those two divisions.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Surely Won in the Dark wouldn’t qualify as he wouldn’t have his novice status anymore whereas Lightning Strike was a maiden over hurdles before this season.

Good point, well presented. Well, back to the drawing board with that one then… :oops: Reckon he’ll be good at round about the 2m4f hurdling trip though, so any races at that trip, which celestial halo or franchoek doesnt turn up in, could be his. He definitely doesn’t look run of the mill to me.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Initially Stayers Hurdle route – despite all the talk about Inglis Drever it is not a strong division – and if that fails over fences would be my guess. If his jumping is as good over fences he should be competitive over shorter trips.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Celestial Halo will go for the World only if he proves not capable of high class form over 2 miles. Sure Nicholls would love a Champion Hurdle Contender.

Have backed two others for the Champion.

Crack Away Jack 50/1 (stan James)
    Ashkazaar 29/1

Hope it is now the era of the 5 year old!

Ginge

value is everything
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Nice enough horse Franchoek but not every horse stands up to a tough season like he’s had. Don’t know where he will go but I wouldn’t be touching him until he won again.

The Triumph has a nasty habit of ending an owners dreams not many horses that win or go close end up in the top rank.

Granted the Fred Winter is now in place and it’s not the race it used to be…..Hope he’s ok and Celestial Halo…..wouldn’t suprise me if he along with Franchoeks stable companion Binocluar lined up for the Champion like Katchit did……I think both have better futures ahead of them than Franchoek……he’s not the relentelss galloper people think he is and certainly is no MWDS.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.