The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Footballers trying to get another player sent off

Home Forums General Sports Footballers trying to get another player sent off

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

I’ve just watched the South and South-West version of BBC’s Late Kick Off. Where there was a discussion on whether professional footballers should use play acting to get a rival player sent off. Showed one clip of a "man" writhing around on the floor, holding his face despite being hit only in the leg.

The question was asked whether professional footballers should use play acting to get a rival player sent off? Two "guests", both ex pro footballers (who I gather aren’t really guests as they’re always on there) Graeme Murty and Leroy Senior (also now ex manager) both said it’s perfectly fine. And (although not in these words) conning the ref is all part of the game. Senior said he’d tell his players to do so.

What great role models for our kids playing the game. :roll: :evil:

value is everything
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22558

The rules don’t help, not even allowed to put in a hefty challenge these days and so any mistimed tackle results in play acting.

Referees are not allowed to use their own discretion either as everything has to done to the letter of the law which the players try to take advantage of.

You can imagine the kids in the playground the ball sat on it’s own whilst all the kids are standing facing the wall after being sent off……. :lol:

Member since March 2008
    ZarkavaZarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4708

Guys, the sport is finished. Completely finished. 15 years ago, Blackburn won the Premiership with a squad that had only 1 player from a non-English speaking country; Henning Berg from Norway.

Players didn’t dive or earn more than £30,000 a year, £15m transfers made news bulletin headlines and England had a good team full of players that you’d want your kids to idolise.

In the last 10 games I’ve watched, only the 2nd half from Chelsea Man Utd and any bit of football Swansea have played has actually got me excited. It’s just such a dull, boring sport now. Yesterday I watched Liverpool-Tottenham. The only interesting bit of the game was when the cat came on the pitch. It’s no wonder everybody’s talking about him because the game was so boring. First actual chance in the game came in about the 74th minute.

I’ve watched a player worth supposedly worth £50m, Luca Modric, be absolutely dreadful in the 2 games I’ve watched him in against Man City and Liverpool. I’ve watched a player worth £300m, Gareth Bale, dive shamelessly before then trying to get the opposition player booked. I’ve watched Man Utd’s ‘2 best players’ Nani & Rooney be absolutely dire for 2 months, seriously not one good thing between them. I’ve watched countless games where there hasn’t been a single chance in the entire first half – Everton Man City and Liverpool Spurs come to mind.

And these games are never fair. Last game I watched where the referee didn’t have a huge impact was the Champions League final. Every single week it seems I’m talking about the referee. Great 2nd half of football between Chelsea & Man Utd and I’m talking about the ref’s dreadful decision not to send off Gary Cahill after 10 minutes.

And we’ve got a Football Association who wouldn’t have been able to ban Balotelli had the referee booked him for stamping on Scott Parker, and now they can’t ban Suarez for kicking Scott Parker because the referee has booked him.

And the England team now. Beggar’s belief. We’ve got a scumbag racist (allegedly) adulterous (also allegedly) captain – who, by the way, if anybody’s noticed, is a dreadful defender. I’d never seen him play until 2 years ago, I just assumed he was good because everybody said so. He’s not. He’s constantly 20 yards out of position and probably has become so well-known because he’s then run back and been lucky enough to make a few good tackles. If he hadn’t been out of position, he wouldn’t have needed to run back. He’s now partnered by a defender earning £80k a week after having played more than half the season at a team that’s probably going to be relegated.

We’ve got a scumbag prostitute-visiting striker who has about 5 good games a season, constantly swearing and shouting abuse at referees. Hands in a transfer request and then signs a new contract the next day because they give into his request to be paid £150k a week. Sent off for stamping on somebody in Euro 04, sent off for punching or kicking or doing whatever to a player in an international and now misses most of Euro 12.

You’d quite frankly do well to find 6 players who’ve played for England in the past 4 years who haven’t been involved with the police.

What a delight it is to listen to people like Oxlade-Chamberlain after putting in a wonderful performance vs Blackburn. Sounds like a thoroughly decent, pleasant, nice guy. Walcott too. He has his critics, but again, the kind of guy you want around to create a nice environment.

And how many good players do we have in each position these days? I could name the amount of good defenders in the Premiership on one hand based on everything I’ve seen. Nemanja Vidic. The guy’s the greatest defender in 20 years. Astonishing player. Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool – how many good attacking midfielders? Silva, Mata, Ox-Chamberlain and Wilshere. How many good strikers? Aguero, Hernandez and RVP.

I cannot wait for this season to be over. I’m only watching because I have a significant financial interest in most of the leagues in England and a couple in Europe. Since I got into NFL halfway through last season, it’s been a breath of fresh air. Never any contentious refereeing mistakes. Yes, the players are earning silly money but that’s American sports for you.

Just a decent, fair, well-refereed sport full of great athletes. The absolute opposite to football.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Suggest you change the piece on John Terry Zark.

He’s yet to be found guilty.

value is everything
    tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

I’d go far from saying the game is finished, the amount of people that attend and play football over a weekend is astonishing really, it’s almost religion in this country.

To your earlier question Ginger, I had this sort of discussion recently with someone. I don’t personally like it, I think in general the British mentality is to get up and get on with things but there is also SO much at stake in these games now that if diving for penalty means the difference between staying in the premier league, winning it or getting the top four, you can bet your bottom dollar they will, sad I suppose but money talks.

Another side of the argument is defenders can get away with so much through out a game when certain things come in view of a ref the attacker will try to take advantage. I don’t know if you’ve played much football but I have plenty though not for the last 18 months. Am a striker/winger can adapt into a wide roll because I have good pace. Depending on who your playing that also means I often get a few lumps kicked out of me, get a bit of rough treatment here and there, shirt pulls etc etc, remember beating a side 5-0 went in 3 up at half time and I’d put away two I was off in 65th because my knee was like a balloon because the centre half couldn’t keep up so at half time they talked about ‘stopping me’. Great. I’m not a player who likes going down however so I got on with it but the result was I had to go off, really fair.

So my point is as attackers you often put up with plenty of crap that is missed or goes un-punished so why shouldn’t people trying and turn the tables. It’s part of the game now I’m afraid, not that I like it that way!!

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Zarkava. Why should a footballer visiting a prostitute earn him such opprobium? He’s only been doing what countless Kings, MPs, and Popes have done.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

I remember when Klinsmann first started with Spurs, there was uproar at some dives. Klinsman himself got the blame for his own antics, as he should.

Managers have now made it so they are the ones who complain to (or about) the referee as if it’s his fault. Refs only have one chance to see the situation at full speed from one angle. Managers see it countless times in slow motion from several angles. It is convenient for them to blame the ref, as they know it is managers who tell their players to dive! Managers and players are at fault.

What’s more, TV pundits are all ex-players. They’re not going to be hypocrites, so can’t go overboard criticising players diving, far easier to take the cowards way out and blame the referee too. On Saturday there was a blatant dive by Johnson of Man City, and yet Shearer could not bring himself to even say it was no penalty, let alone a dive. Wonder why? :roll: The actual commentator isn’t so bad, they have to give an opinion at full speed too and it seems to me respect referees more. May be it is a coincidence, but they’re not ex-players (or at least not to a good standard).

Then there’s the fan, with an alleigence to one particular club. He/she turns a blind eye to the fan’s own side. After all, opposing team’s players would do the same, so all’s fair and all that… Again convenient. So when an opposing player dives, what happens? Fans blame the referee for not seeing it more than they blame the player.

Diving is one thing though, feigning injury is even worse. We’ve seen so many over the last month. Rithing around to get a player sent off and then gets up and runs away. If a player makes out he’s seriously injured and then a few minutes later is seen running full pelt… Stop the game and send him off!

It’s beyond a joke. Can’t see anyone wanting to be a referee. You don’t see the same lack of respect in Rugby, so I don’t see why it has to be this way in football.

value is everything
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22558

What about referees diving to try and get players banned for longer…… :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VFp1WwSMu4

Member since March 2008
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.